TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@sistersinhim, you and my PT, Gary, share the same sentiment regarding my mishap! I was probably about 2 inches away from self- butt-kicking.....just awful! I even heard a snapping sound; ugh. Hopefully, since it hurt so much, there will be an increase in flexion. If not, I'll be pretty darned resentful!

@Polkadot, I literally couldn't stand or walk for about 10 minutes. I couldn't even get off the bike without assistance. They helped me over to a table and put some ice on it. When I was ready to leave, I walked very, very s-l-o-w-l-y out of there. Upon arriving home, the swelling of the entire thigh began immediately. What hubris to think these days were behind me, eh? Yeah; pffft!
 
omg Pheebs52 ~ was the force of your knee bending back from the momentum you had while pedalling? yikes, i can imagine how much that hurt. if it's the shoes that triggered the slip, then at least you will know next time to wear appropriate shoes. i once inadvertently drove with flip flops on and one slipped a little, of course, putting me on high alert until i got to my destination. all the time i see people driving in flip flops ~ i know, not the same, except for the case of improper footwear. don't you just get tired of having to be cautious of your movements? ahhh for the carefree days.:sigh: anyways, pamper yourself until you get back to where you were. i guess we have to expect things like this from time to time and bounce back.:treadmill:
 
OOooooooooo! That makes my knees hurt for you! I had a similar experience resulting in a very loud POP followed by an equally loud expletive! Ice, ice, ice! ( Should we enlist Vanilla Ice to be the TKR superstar? )
Sorry you had the experience, but I hope your ravioli will calm down! Side note, my " new" PT asked today if I really thought the bike helped warm up my knee. I would be more than happy to forego it! He also said no need to count reps, just go for the burn and quit! I like him - a lot!
 
OMG "AAACCKKK" Double "PFFFT"! Technically it would be a MW/OA but YIKES! That is definitely not one of the approved methods of getting out of the slow benders club. Glad you had assistance to get you to the ice pronto! I hope you have an uneventful evening of ice ("ice ice baby" for sure) and lounging and that your knee bounces back quickly. That has been a fear of mine since starting spin class again as I have been hesitant to wear my clip shoes. But I think I will start next week. Keep us posted on the recovery!
 
Oh my, that makes me hurt just reading about it! Yikes!! Definitely ice tonight and hopefully you'll be able to sleep. I hope you get a few degrees of ROM out of it. I don't know if I would have been able to drive home after that.
 
@liam2015, yes, the force that bent my knee back was from the momentum. There was a LOT of momentum; pffft!

@Thesoutherncook, I believe Vanilla Ice would make a good soundtrack for my mishap. What did you do to your knee today?

@kmak81230, please, start clipping your shoes in on the Spin Bike. You really don't want to do this! I'd much rather be a Slow-Bender.:groan:

@jboles, thankfully, it's my left knee. If it wasn't Mistah would've had to come pick me up; aacck.

Not surprisingly, I can hardly walk tonight. Hopefully, things will be brighter in the morning.

That's it for tonight Smarties; ugh!
 
I hope you can sleep tonite.... maybe a glass of wine to help relax??
My bike mishap was with the first TKR. I'm afraid to go round on the PT as a result...although, today, I managed to ride it for 8 minutes....baby steps!
 
Last edited:
Ouch!!!! My knee seriously hurt while I was reading about your accidental MUA. I hope icing is helping you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would definitely file a complaint with the tkr gods if you don't get better flexion after that move! Well, once the swelling dies down. Clearly Spence is a baaaaddddd influence!!!! :oyvey: I do apologize to Not So Sweet Sweet Martha Lorraine for Spence's unruly influence towards encouraging cantankerous behavior! :doh:
 
I agree with Celle. And that bit about the patellar button and how 'it' could crack if you kneel on it. They never said whether it was the button or the patella that could crack. Well actually, it's neither! If the surgeon's shaved the patella so much that it might crack, he's not a good surgeon and the plastic button will almost never crack anyway.

I also had to chuckle when he demonstrated about putting weight on the tibial tubercle and shin - well nature dictates that we do that anyway! The patella rides far too high up on the femur to be able to knee on it.
 
look up on YouTube: Bill Parravano, The Knee Pain Guru on How to Break Down Knee Scar Tissue
I looked and it's not one I'd recommend. WHY are all you Americans so obsessive about this so-called "scar tissue"? It doesn't exist. It's a figment of the imagination! And none of these videos are informed, educated or even logical!
 
Pheebs, I am so sorry about your mishap on the bike. I hope you can enjoy a glass of wine while you ice and elevate. If you are looking for a good book the one that @KarriB recomemded, The Nightingale,is really, really good. Be careful reading it at night you might just read all night long. Feel better soon!:friends:
 
Today at PT, I accidentally gave myself an MUA. Seriously, I did. At the very end of my session, I was pedaling along smoothly and comfortably at about 11 m.p.h. when suddenly, my TKR foot slipped quite far back off the pedal, bending my leg into an almost butt-kicking position. The flywheel kept turning and I screeched...loudly. I believe I swore. I was certain something had broken. It was dreadful. I will no doubt develop a large ravioli or perhaps even a sausage. Yet, I was feeling so good when I arrived there today; almost sprightly! Now? Not. So. Much. I am bonded to the giant ice-pack and the LD. PFFFT!

M
,,m. ,m ,m ,m. M. M, m m. I. K,m,KKK,k,

Oh boy! I believe the U and. A in MUA is "under anesthesia" so you just had an M! Ouch! Ice, ice, ice!
 
Gosh, I hope it was just a bit of scar tissue that caused this pain, and not something else. Ouch! I got sympathy pain just reading your description. Just goes to show how unexpectedly, and suddenly, these things happen. I foresee lots of icing and elevating in your near future.

Kneeling is of great interest to me. RIghty is okay with it, and I hope Lefty gets there. We haven't really done anything with it yet, though. Still far from that. But a girl can hope. I never thought to look for YouTube videos!
 
Pheebs, don't be surprised if you hurt for a few days or more. This gives you a wonderful chance to lay back and be waited on again! I bet you'll wear the right shoes next time! I sure hope you'll find relief.
 
Hope you are doing ok this morning -- as Paula said, it might take a few days to recover from your slip. I hope you have the opportunity to rest and ice through the weekend.
 
Thanks to all for the support and humor, both of which were very much needed last night; gah!

I had to resort to a leftover Ocy last night and went to bed with the ice and LD. Amazingly, I slept, so that was a real plus. This morning, it's not as bad as yesterday, but I do feel as if I've been kicked back (pun intended) to about the 8 week point. Stiff, swollen, some hamstring issues, the quad of course, and that old bugaboo, the tight band; pffft! There seems to be a ravioli below the knee as well, right on the tibia, but it's small.

However, it certainly could be worse, so I'm counting my blessings and just taking it easy. As someone here said, I don't mind being waited on again for a few days, lol, but I hope that's all it will be!

Right now, I'm enjoying some stellar early fall weather on my back deck, and wondering where I can find this weather elsewhere in the country at an affordable price, lol. It's sunny, dry, and about 70 degrees with a light breeze; perfecto!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you're playing one of those board games where you step on the wrong square and get sent back to some earlier point in the game. Chutes and Ladders, maybe? Candy land? Except with knees. I hope a little icing and elevation, along with rest as you enjoy that glorious weather, puts you on some kind of fast track back up the ladder. I also hope, for all your trouble, your knee rewards you somehow, like being a tad more mobile? That would be only fair. Not that life's fair or anything, but it should be. :ice:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom