TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Hey @phrog, great to see you! How was vacation? Did you engage in all sorts of miraculous feats involving the knee?

@Jajakio , your post makes me long for my old hot tub! Oh how I adored those outdoor soaks, even in winter. I always cleared a path to the hot tub first before any other snow removal from the back deck, lol! Purchasing a new one will be top priority when we move next year. *Bubble on* GF!
 
@Pk4tmjsd, yes, ever so *refreshing* that I finally caved about 10 years ago and bought a wetsuit, lol.

Uh-oh, @Fire wolf, you've planted some thoughts of skiing in my little bean brain. I've planted some myself but then put them away...*somewhere* but...the call is strong in this part of the country. Winter is LONG if one doesn't do *something* outdoors and hey, skiing is really fun! If I were to try a slope or two this winter, I'd force myself to stick with beginner trails. That said, X-Country skiing might be more reasonable. Maybe. Some are actually quite challenging. I'd hafta give it a lot of thought though. Not sure if the original issue knee would be up to the task, but I am fairly certain Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine could handle it. I imagine if I did venture onto the slopes, I'd tell myself a very old, Native American saying as follows" Make it a Good Day to Die," LOL.
 
Do I drink the cranberry juice or put it in the tubbie? Maybe both? Just curious.
 
The problem with kids' bubble bath is that it often smells like bubble gum! :loll:Congrats on the success with your tub, @Pheebs52. I'm certain it felt great! BTW, I was thinking about your comment on @kmak81230's thread about adult beverages without ice. She and companions must be red wine drinkers! I much prefer Sauvignon Blanc so would just HAVE to have ice. Hope your bubbles were divine and your bubbly divine-er.
 
@Polkadot, I know you won't be in the least bit surprised when I say Sauvignon Blanc is my preferred grape, lol. Good point about Kmak and company's choice of beverage, lol. And of course, in CO, the nights are chilly despite it technically being summer.

So far, I've just doen the *dry-run* on the bathtub. Tonight will be the real deal.:bath::martini:
 
I never thought I had acclimated to the thin southern blood (I grew up in chicago) but I froze my butt off in New England last weekend. Yall are a hearty bunch!
 
Your description of Novocain made me think - when I rub something on my incision I get a sensation that I can only describe as a feeling of feathering outwards... lots of feathering. Yours sounded like watered down zingers. I remember one time a zinger traveling from my ankle outside up to and above my knee. Oh the feelings this procedure gives us!!!
 
Just finally getting caught up on your thread after a pretty active week for me! Today was a lot of icing and elevating with just some cooking and light cleaning. In the prone position on the couch I can actually read some threads on BS.
Big congratulations on all your recent accomplishments, from doctors office to bath tub! You are well on your way to normal lol whatever normal is to us these days!
There will be no stopping you now! Skiing, swimming, sailing ......we won't be able to see you as you whiz by!
Well done!
 
Pheebs - I will let you know how skiing goes...........I see you are from Boston - Blue Hills may be close to you.....I work at a place called Pats Peak in NH - we have some nice beginner terrain - I am an instructor.
I am hoping to be on snow early December - right after Thanksgiving - and will be properly and respectfully introducing the lads to the winter activity, of choice..... I have read of other TKRs who have been able to ski. Surgeon has been on board with my activities pre and post op and will sign off on me returning to work as a ski instructor. I was not a "racer" racer i.e. successful nor mogul champion pre-op; I will not be either of two post-op. Perhaps, just maybe, I will be an example or inspiration to others that one can ski with TKRs.

Even the pools are cold now - 'our' ocean temps now have to be a wee bit on the chilly side.....versus the balmy 65 degrees F. :swim:
 
I gave up skiing years ago bc of my knees. Never consciously, just one of those activities I did casually that hurt too much so it slipped away. It's been 20 yrs since I've skiied and now I'm wondering if it's worth trying again once I'm healed.
 
I hope you are soaking away, sipping on a nice glass of wine. That tingly, Novocain feeling sounds like a nerve to me. I had back surgery last year for a pinched nerve, my entire right leg and foot felt like that. Swimming in 68 degree water, no thanks. This southern girl won't go in unless it's at least 80, preferably 85.
 
Absolutely, Jennszoo, !!! Journey up to New England............or stay close to home and try it out, at your own pace, with Doctor permission, of course.
 
I actually learned to ski at Pat's Peak @Pk4mjsd! Small world, eh? And I agree, they do have a very nice beginner's trail. The other big bonus to us is it's a day trip and the lift tickets are fairly reasonable. Believe it or not, Big Blue is just 10 minutes from me, but that little ski hill is very steep and tricky. It's almost a sheer drop, kind of a short version of Cannon. Not my cuppa tea! I admire your determination to ski this winter and will look forward to your first report!

@Jennszoo, I don't recall it being chilly last weekend, but you did go up to VT and they have much chillier weather than we typically do. Portland, ME is usually within a degree or two of us. I remember sitting out on my back deck in a t-shirt and capris and enjoying the *crispy* air, lol. I guess we all do ultimately adapt to whatever our climate is. Not sure how long that takes, but probably more than a year? And hey, Chicago is not exactly balmy, right? I'd probably wither away in Atlanta!

@jboles, well you know I aced my bath time and enjoyed two glasses of Sauvignon Blanc. Two, because I stayed in there so long, lol. Best. Bath. Ever. :yes!:

Uh-oh, I think you may be right about the back. It has been problematic for the last 3 months, so it may be time for another epidural steroid; ugh! The tingling disappeared mid-afternoon, but I've no idea why. It just did and I was glad. The knee, OTH, was unusually stiff tonight, and again, I've no idea why. It's all such a mystery isn't it? And Bette Davis was correct with her "aging is not for sissie," statement.

I'm with you on water temperatures, the warmer the better! But, we don't get that here unless we swim in lakes or heated pools. I will do either, but really prefer salt-water; wah! Hence, the wetsuit!
 
Yes, Indeed it is. I am OFD (originally from Dorchester, MA - St Mark's - Fields Corner). I did not start skiing until our eldest son (we have four) started the after school Learn to Ski program and became an instructor in 2003.
Pats has expanded on the south side with additional trails and , this yearm, replaced the Peak Double chair with a triple chair. A fun place to work and ski - we have lots of groups traveling up from Metropolitan Boston.

There may be some swimming tomorrow on Labor Day - just walking in the rain, today.
 
I'm with you on water temperatures, the warmer the better! But, we don't get that here unless we swim in lakes or heated pools. I will do either, but really prefer salt-water; wah! Hence, the wetsuit!
Congrats on your tub bath, Pheebs. I loved reading that you soaked and sipped successfully. Might be time for me to try that, though I like reds more than whites. It comes from living in red wine country - it's too hot here to grow most white grapes.
:bath:
About your preference for salt water, but liking warmer water, here's an expensive solution:. My nephew has a heated salt water pool. Maybe when you move? Do they make salt water hot tubs?

Hope your back is better tonight.
 
Pheebs, how many PT visits do you have left? Every state is different as far as approvals, etc but Glittering Gary can help your back. Monika has been concentrating on my back since my knees are doing so well. My back is so much better! Also look up nerve flossing for lower back. That's one of the things I have been doing that helps. It might be worth your time to spend some PT especially for your back. And YES, you asked if I wore a jacket in 66 degree weather. I have to admit I did... a light jacket, but it was a jacket. My Southern blood is thin...:heehee:
 
@becticu, I don't have too much PT left, but I did ask for a new Rx for my back. I will definitely google "nerve flossing," even though it sounds dreadful, lol! If it helped you, I'm certain it might help me since we have very similar back issues. You may have thin *southern* blood, but...you have a very warm heart, and that's what matters. As such, you get a special dispensation to wear a jacket in 66 degree weather, lol.

@phrog, oh would I love to have a heated, salt-water pool, but it's probably not in the cards, other than at a facility; pfft! However, I'll *settle* for a nice new hot tub though, lol! If I could move to your area, a heated, salt-water pool might be an option, but not here in chilly New England unless it was indoors. Too bad Cali is so expensive. If it weren't, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
 
Good afternoon Smarties, or I hope it is for most of us? If not, feel free to vent and throw things. I wish I had something new and exciting to report, but I don't. After getting into the tubbie over the weekend, and partying with NH friends on Sunday, things have been rather dull. But, I suppose @Thesoutherncook really needed a break from badge sewing, eh? She really has been busy in that department and I'm sure she'd like to engage in some other activities. I can say I am up to 15 minutes of smooth and fairly speedy exer-cycling and that's been a dream come true. I add a few minutes about once every three days. Soon, I'll probably be lowering the seat a notch since it's all become rather too comfy, as if there is such a thing! But, apparently there is when it comes to knee rehab, so it will go lower, perhaps today.

Last night, I did perform my magic kneeling trick on the mattress for the same reason as last time; ceiling fan duty. I'm pleased to say it felt a teensy bit less uncomfortable, but still not something I'd care to spend much time with at this point. Oddly enough, the day before, I was viewing a very strange knee PT vid on YouTube The clearly insane, young PT guy who has obviously never had a TKR, advocates getting on your knees and *walking* across a hard floor. What?!? I was compelled to watch, lol. Naturally, my mouth hung open the entire time, and of course, I made an immediate decision to never venture that far over the line of normalcy. Never. Ever.

I did perform another much kneeded activity yesterday that might be *Badgeworthy* @Thesoutherncook, Helen, but I'm pleased to say, there were no serious side effects. I had to lug poor old Nemo (the Pug) out of the back seat of the SUV Dogmobile for a Vet visit. Unfortunately, the seat is tall and he is not, nor is he agile at 10 years old, hence the carrying. He weighs roughly 28 pounds and I had to place him on the ground. Holding a Pug is like trying to hold a very heavy bowl of jello with fur and claws. It's really quite difficult in comparison to holding other canines due to the loose skin factor.....they slip-slide away. My choice was to hurt my dicey back by bending or protect it using my knees with good form. I chose the latter, and of course, had to squat a bit more than I've done, but he landed beautifully, my back was safe and my knees did their job in stellar fashion. They did get a bit tight last night but just 5 minutes on the bike really loosened them up again; kneerah!

Today, I'm being a recliner bum, lol. I stayed up too late and didn't sleep late enough, so this is my *fix.* It's definitely a book day here!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom