Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

i think i may have seen that video, and it seems just silly to me that someone would do that, unless they were doing a skit for saturday night live or one of those comedy shows ~ i believe it was also done in monty python.:giggle:

great that you used your leg/knee strength to lift Nemo up and not your back ~ 28 lbs. is a lot of dog to lift. i absolutely love your description of holding a pug. btw, how is your back doing? enjoy your day.:SUNsmile:
 
I haven't seen the video, but is that where you hold your feet up behind you and use your knees as feet? I think we used to do that as kids, but we were a little strange...
 
Helen, lol, I may actually owe you a new sewing machine!

rubyyarn, yes, that's it! Really weird!

Laim2015, maybe it is a Monty Python skit? I didn't recognize anyone though and he seemed quite serious, lol.

Gertie, yes, just doing that on original issue knees is horrifying!
 
Knee walking is definitely not in my future - neither is firewalking or walking on my hands. Some videos claiming to help us TKRs should just not be allowed on YouTube. Congrats on the safe lifting of Nemo and the increased efforts on the bike! Yes - I expect you are due to lower the seat. My old PT also showed me "neural flossing" - for me it was designed to help the reduce the leg nerviness - I do it most days. Nerviness has improved but I don't know if neural flossing helped or I just healed more. He gave me a handout on it.
 
I tried to find the knee walking video because I just couldn't believe it! I'm wondering if the technique is associated with Japanese or Chinese practice? I couldn't find one with a PT demonstrating, but I saw several that were illustrating moves form Aikido or some such. I saw one example where only @Fire wolf could possibly do it--you'd need a really good bend like she has just to get started!:egypdance: None of us slow-benders would qualify. Well, maybe @kmak81230 would attempt it, because she just hiked an amazing amount of miles this past weekend! :yes!: The knee-walking technique I saw would definitely take a lot of "mind over matter". AND more grit than I possess just to try.

My PT has me do an-on-the-knees exercise that utilizes gravity (her favorite thing) to increase bend. It's a killer but not in the bad sense. You get on all fours and then move your bottom back toward your heels and hold it for 3 minutes. If it gets too uncomfortable, you move back into the straight-up position for a few seconds and then resume. This exercise is how I learned to trust that my knees will hold up to kneeling. I started on the PT bench with a pillow under the knees, then tried it on the bench surface without the pillow--I like that much better. At home, I was doing it on my bed, but that was too soft. I kept feeling like I was going to fall over on my side! I found out that I could handle doing the exercise on carpet quite easily. And I can kneel for other purposes on carpet, bed, leather-like upholstery, etc. Just not on hardwood, cement, or asphalt. This is quite exciting, as kneeling has been almost impossible for me for several years.

Good for you, @Pheebs52, at being able to lift that giant, jiggly, jello bowl! I think the secret to doing some of these dicey things is to go slowly and think through each move. :yay: I've been doing squats with the TRX machine at PT, and recently I could do them while keeping the pull-straps slack. My cat isn't a 28-lb bowl of jello, but she does weigh about half that plus a couple of pounds, and she goes limp when I pick her up, just like a toddler often does. I've re-injured my back before, picking her up. So she is a risk that I haven't been taking. But when I realized that I was stable enough to do a full squat without strap aid, I did start picking her up again the other day. Twins!:SUNsmile::friends:
 
i found the knee walking video that i think @Pheebs52 was referring to. i am in no way recommending it and i don't know how to post links, but for anyone that's curious you can look up on YouTube: Bill Parravano, The Knee Pain Guru on How to Break Down Knee Scar Tissue. enjoy and you're welcome!:curtsey:
 
@Polkadot thank you for posting that video from the "2 famous YouTube P.T.'s". that was very helpful when the time comes that i will need to kneel, knowing not to kneel right on the knee, but just below. this is useful to know if going back to yoga class.:flwrysmile:
 
:goodpost:@Polkadot and many thanks for all this kneeling information! Twins indeed!:friends:
 
Today at PT, I accidentally gave myself an MUA. Seriously, I did. At the very end of my session, I was pedaling along smoothly and comfortably at about 11 m.p.h. when suddenly, my TKR foot slipped quite far back off the pedal, bending my leg into an almost butt-kicking position. The flywheel kept turning and I screeched...loudly. I believe I swore. I was certain something had broken. It was dreadful. I will no doubt develop a large ravioli or perhaps even a sausage. Yet, I was feeling so good when I arrived there today; almost sprightly! Now? Not. So. Much. I am bonded to the giant ice-pack and the LD. PFFFT!
 
i found the knee walking video that i think @Pheebs52 was referring to. i am in no way recommending it and i don't know how to post links, but for anyone that's curious you can look up on YouTube: Bill Parravano, The Knee Pain Guru on How to Break Down Knee Scar Tissue. enjoy and you're welcome!:curtsey:
That man is dangerous. Doing what he recommends could cause serious damage to your new knees.
Please, please, don't anyone try to do what he recommends.
 
@Canada35, no, it won't turn me away from cycling, but I won't wear those particular shoes again which I think have a bit of a slippery sole. I *think* (read: hope) I got the ice on quickly enough to make a difference. Time will tell.
 
That slip sure gave you great ROM! So, you know you knee can do it, when it's time for it to do it! Icing was the best thing for you to have done! I hope you have good night and morning tomorrow.
 
OHHHH NOOOO! Not a self-MUA! Ouch, ouch, ouch! It's a wonder you were able to ambulate out of there and to make it home to the LD. Hope you recover quickly and that this unusual mishap gives you some forward benefit--more ROM, maybe? We can hope!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom