Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I want some of those badges (well only if I can hot glue them onto something since my seamstress skills stopped with my mom!) I need a non swelling badge. I've iced and elevated like crazy and am still swollen. Seriously though, I love how you celebrate your milestones. This group knows how big those things are!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
We haven't even left yet and I've already overdone it helping lift the topper onto the truck - now on the couch with the ice pack :bignono:

Beam away @Pheebs52 - I expect I'll be having some withdrawal. I packed the rolling pin and Tylenol - all the post TKR necessities.
 
Last edited:
Shelley, would you like to borrow a few of my badges? I really mdon't mind, 'cuz they make my sari/scarf heavy, lol!

Crud, still swollen, despite RIE, almost 24/7? Are you going to bed with the ice on? Massaging it? LD to bed with you?
 
Oh no, Kathleen; aargggh! Good thinking on the rolling pin and Tylenol. Do your ice packs also go camping? I'm sure they do, provided they have a comfy cooler. Are you going somewhere local or a distance away?
 
This afternoon, I had my very best "down the stairs, adventure to date; woot! I was almost skipping! I'm sure I traipsed, not to be confused with tripped. Everything just felt so loose! After I see John, the PA at the surgeon's office tomorrow, I'm going for a massage; can't wait! I think I may have figured out why my back has been especially nasty this week. It's all Mistah's fault for going away....really, it is. His absence meant I was in charge of picking Miss Pheebs up, whenever she felt her little legs were not quite up to par, lugging trash down the odious 13 steps, lugging laundry and other assorted things up the odious 13 steps, and other mundane domestic tasks I typically rely on him to do. He really does need to retire; hah!
 
It is interesting how we achieve all these milestones yet we are not ready for lifting much yet. I guess there's a reason why they don't let me hold anything heavier than 8 lbs at PT. Hope the appt goes well and massage is delightful.

Probably about 90 minutes away for camping. No ice but I am taking the zero gravity lounger.
 
Hah, there you have it Kathleen! Pheebs is 12-13 pounds and though I CAN lift her, my back really dislikes it. When I had my original issue knee, I always squatted to lift her, but I don't think I should be doing squats as yet? I'll have to check on that because I really am uncertain. How much did your car topper weigh? I'm thinking at least 50 lbs.?

What, no ice??? Hope there's a cold lake or stream close by! Does no one enjoy a cold beverage? Kudos on bringing the zero-gravity lounger though!
 
Pheebs52 ~ what a super accomplishment being able to traipse down the stairs and your knee feeling so loose. that must feel fantastic. hope the surgeon or the p.a. gives you lots of praise tomorrow, then go and enjoy that massage.:flwrysmile:
 
@Liam, honestly? It feels really weird! It seems like some sort of "Alternate Reality," that will change on a dime. I don't trust it, lol. It's been a concrete knee for 10 months, ever since I tore the meniscus in November. I'd almost (but not quite) become used to it, ya know? I honestly feel that using my rocking chair each day, doing the backwards stairs, and forward stairs, continuing to massage it every day, and just pushing it a little bit outside my comfort zone made riding the bike possible. Now that I can actually pedal, it just seems to get looser each time. I really hope that yours will do the same soon, like.... tomorrow! You've been so incredibly patient and it's really time for a breakthrough on your end, eh?
 
It's kind of magical, the moment when you realize "Hey! I'm doing [thing you're doing]!" Stairs, especially. Going up, going down... it's deeply symbolic. Moving on up. I bent my knees the other day to tie my shoe. Tying my shoe is nothing special, but bent knees... victory! These little breakthroughs, once they start coming, bring all the joy.
 
Good morning Smarties, and it IS a really good one for me! I just returned from my visit with the surgeon's PA and he's thrilled with my progress! Whoohoo! This is incredibly hard to believe, so you may want to sit down for this, but...here goes: He said I was on *ahem* The Fast Track," for recovery? What? Me? Ms. Concrete knee 2017? Permanent member of The Slow Benders Society? How can this be? I have the T-Shirts that say otherwise, right?

Here's how he explained it: Very simply, it's just NOT all about flexion. They rate recoveries as Fast Track, Medium Track and Slow Track as follows: 6 months 90% of healed=fast. 9 months, 90% healed, medium. 12 months, 90% healed=slow. According to him, my flexion (that he only eyeballed) is around 100, but now, the number is basically irrelevant because I've moved beyond the *Gold Standard* of 90 degrees and it should just keep improving fairly easily from here for many months to come. My extension, is zero; flat as a pancake, and that delighted him no end. He was literally jumping for joy; hah! Once again, he stressed that extension is generally of much more concern to them than flexion, because it's much more difficult to achieve and slower to respond to exercise.

He said my swelling was perfectly *normal* for this point in time, in fact, to be expected, and some of it might even linger beyond 6 months, but will probably fade completely by 9 months. He thought my energy/stamina was high and I agree, it is almost *normal,* just not quite, but he said any lingering lack of energy should disappear by roughly 6 months.

He asked what I could and could not do and I gave him the list. He said FUNCTION RULES and I am VERY functional, much more so than the average bear at just over 3 months! This is really what made him label me as *fast track*. He wants me to continue with PT for strengthening and for increasing my flexion. Fine. I am not a candidate for MUA; yay! He pronounced my quad and knee to be fairly soft and flexible and those are good indications that adhesions aren't an issue. He gave me a little kneecap manipulation and felt it was moving well and clicking nicely, lol.

According to him, my incision and knee look great, but obviously, his idea of great and mine differ slightly. Like totally. Clearly, I am not as thrilled with it's lumpy, pointy look, but he did stress it will nevah look like my natural knee. But... but it *should* look less lumpy and pointy in roughly 6-9 months. Might take a year.

My X-Rays look great and I am to return for another check-up in 3 months. I think he just wants to see if his Fast-Track predictions come true, lol.

Now, is he a Bonesmartie type doc or what? Yes!!! :yes!:
 
Great report! Love that you're on the "fast track." You must be feeling such relief.
 
I am so relieved @gertie! I was so sure he'd pronounce my flexion dismal and suggest an MUA! And I certainly haven't thought of myself as being anywhere close to a *fast-track* for healing; what a surprise!
 
Applause! Of course you did great! You've been conscientious about a slow and steady recovery. You haven't aggravated your healing knees, but you HAVE been doing all the things. Your OS, and his PA, are nailing it. My OS also didn't care much about my ROM numbers. My flexion was good enough, and my extension almost good enough. It would come if I stayed active and engaged with life. With life! You, my friend, are engaged with living. That's what ultimately matters. Your TKR restored functionality.

I'm, um, also on the Fast-Track. Just warning you, the slower tracks have more perks.
 
@SusieShoes, I dunno, but I suspect there's an uber-fast, RockStar track and that's where you've been from the beginning; hah! I should've asked him about that, lol!

You're certainly right in that I've done my best to not aggravate this knee, babied it really. I almost never did the PT exercises at home, and if I did, just a few. I was very Bonesmartie in this respect. I mostly just concentrated on walking and stairs, every single day. Up and down those dastardly stairs, multiple times each day. I certainly iced and elevated to death! I timed all my walking so as not to join the ODIC and I still time them. I think I've really only been in the OIC twice and that's not bad for almost 15 weeks out and that's due to my natural paranoia about not hurting myself, lol.

I was so fortunate to have an OS that recognized the importance of gentle PT! If only I'd had that when I had my hip done I know I would've been spared a lot of pain and frustration. Oh well, live and learn, eh?

@kmak81230, right? I'm on Cloud Nine, just "Whistlin' Dixie! I'm still laughing at the *Fast-Track* label, but hey, I'll take it. @Thesoutherncook will just have to sew me another badge, lol.

Here's my goal for the weekend, which may or may not be achievable: A bath! Getting in and out of that :censored: tub is my only real obsession at present! I want a good hot soak with some bubbles and wine! I so wish it were a different style tubbie, but alas, it is not. When we move, my next place is going to have a much better tub set-up!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom