TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@Pheebs52 I don't know the technical reason that prone heel slides give worse measurements but the general trend on here seems to be that they do. And from personal experience, I have stellar flexion ROM #s (120+) when I sit in a chair and slide my foot back under the chair, which is the only way I've ever been measured. Just eyeballing my bend lying down I'm lucky if it's 90.
 
@VW54, the pointy spot is hard.

@jaschembra, dips are sorely kneeded, lol! Well, maybe my guy will not even measure on Friday, but if he wants to, I'm going to request a chair; hah!

@gertie, wow, that's a 30 degree difference! Mine isn't that different....yet...but maybe about 15 degrees different. Good to know! What a pretty kitty!
 
I've only done the prone heel slides twice since I found BS - both for the "official" measurements at PT, but we also measured other ways and took the best #. I was doing them 3 x day (10 times each) prior to BS - sure don't miss them. :holysheep:you are going to have a lot of show and tell when your husband gets home with all of these accomplishments.

I don't have a pointy lump but a big lump above the knee and the new knee is consistently bigger - I'm sure due to swelling.
 
Hmmm...the swelling just keeps on *giving* doesn't it? My landscaper was here today and we chatted about our collective knees for a bit. He is 8 months post-op and said a lot of his swelling has traveled down his calf and into his ankle area! But his knee finally looks *normal*! He said he really didn't feel *right* again until the 5-6 month point; good to know, eh? Of course, he's just a young fella at only 54; hah! And he is quite physically fit, just from his work. His last words to me today were, "Three months is nothing Man, don't you worry about a thing. Soon, you'll be just as good as new." Maybe those Rastafarians are really onto something, eh?
 
Hah, yes, I will have a lot of *Show and Tell* Kathleen. I think I'll hold off on my floor exhibition until he's well rested, lol!
 
I'm so glad you were able to rise from your deck. Imagine if your Mistah came home to find you wiggling around on your back like an upset beetle? He'd probably never leave you alone again. The only thing worse would be if you got stuck in a porta potty. Right, @Fire wolf?

I haven't looked at my knee from the side, but when my legs are stretched out straight on the recliner, my new knee bumps up more than the other one, quite a bit like that. I assumed it had something to do with extension being not quite complete, even though it often measures 0 or close to it.

I just love how you discover these new milestones like having your foot go back under your chair. That' s a big deal in my book.
 
Well @Polkadot, at least if I had gotten stuck out there, I had my phone with me, lol! I'm sure the local Fire Department would have enjoyed a good laugh. Getting stuck in a Porta-Potty has to be a Level One traumatic event aaccck! Let's face it, just going in one is fairly traumatic and an act of desperation.

Hmm, I like your take on the pointy knee! I am also told my extension is zero, but perhaps it really isn't? I'm also told my flexion is 96 but I just know that can't be so, so that theory fits!

I love how surprising most of my milestones have been. They just *arrive* on beetle wings or something along those lines, lol. Hitting the deck was a planned event, but really, nothing else has been. They've all been bolts out of the blue and that makes them much more fun.:SUNsmile: I so agree, the foot under the chair last night was MAJOR! I may still be stunned...yes, I think I am.:yes!:

I had one much lesser victory tonight after dinner. I went downstairs for an hour of Bloodlines but decided to pedal for 10 minutes prior to all that sitting. Well....it was all struggle-free, from the first rotation forward! Up until tonight, it's definitely taken a few rotations to loosen things up, but in true, mysterious, TKR recovery fashion, tonight was different. Go figure, I cannot. :SUNsmile:
 
Enjoy these victories! Your internal swelling must be getting better.If you continue with the easier pedaling that means you can lower the seat - another good sign. Your extension in the photo looked excellent. I will have to try to take a photo like that and you will see what poor extension looks like :bawl:
 
@Pheebs52 Congrats on your accumulating victories! Kneeling! Getting on the floor and back up again! Wow. Great stuff.

Re: bend--as I say I've never been measured lying down. But what is telling is that my feet pretty easily move back under the chair for a seated heel slide--some knee and quad stiffness but nothing that impedes movement--but when I do a heel slide lying down, stiffness rules and I more quickly feel some pain.

The kitty is Raven--my old girl--she's 16. She's curled up in my lap right now, supervising my BS reading and responding.
 
oh, and don't forget to keep moving the knee occasionally while you wait for the appointment. Don't let it get stiff on you and then they try to measure. :)
 
Somewhere in this 3-4 month stage, it seems our knees settle in. They get a little less stiff--though not yet completely without stiffness--and loosen up more quickly. A few steps. A short walk. Some stretches. It's kind of amazing and ever so welcome. And they can do so much more, too. I knelt on Righty last night. No problem. Lefty... still doesn't want to. But as a whole, the knees are much better-behaved.

Can't wait to hear your report from the PA. You're due for a pleasant surprise. :ok:
 
@kmak81230, good luck on taking a profile knee photo; not easy! I'm not ready to lower he bike seat just yet; hah! If I have3, easy days in a row, then I'll do it.:SUNsmile:

@jaschembra, good advice and I'll be sure to follow it!

@gertie, Raven is just gorgeous and I never would've expected her to be 16 years old! Who says looks fade? LOL! You're the first person I've met here that seems to have the same bending issue with prone versus sitting heel slides. Why PT uses the prone measurement defies understanding, but in my case, they do! What is keeping me (and you) from achieving the same glory while prone is just another knee mystery, eh?

@SusieShoes, congrats on the kneeling! Well, for Righty at any rate; hah! Lefty will probably come along in a few more weeks. He's always been a bit of laggard, eh? I agree, this 3-4 month period is full of great surprises and advances! Not perfect, but ever so much better!:yes!:
 
Habit is such a strong thing to break, often informing our actions when not really necessary. I say this as I'm sitting here typing with my knee elevated and of course, an ice-pack is in place. Why, I don't know; hah! It doesn't hurt or feel especially stiff, it's just "what I do, " in the morning, like drinking some coffee!
 
I really need to cut back on my Bonesmart hours, lol, because *real-life* is calling much more strongly these days. But...it's addictive, isn't it? I'm sure I'd suffer some withdrawal symptoms, so will have to cut back very gradually.
 
I think your 3-day, try-lowering-the-seat rule is a good one. That's my rule for weighing myself. I don't believe the (hopefully) numerical decrease unless I've seen it three days in a row. :angel:
 
I think I will only be checking in to the forum on a weekly basis due to many reasons. Most of which have to do with our new family situation. I see that is what commonly happens in this forum at around the 3 or 4 month mark.
Likely will let you all know what rehab doc says next week and then what OS says at next appointment. (<- will post this also on my thread)
 
Please, keep us updated @VW54!

@Polkadot, I think the 3 day rule is a good one, for knees, weighing and of course, houseguests.:heehee:

@kmak81230, oh noooo! 3 days in the woods completely off grid? I'll try to *beam* you some messages my *twin*, unless.... you'd prefer I didn't, lol.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom