TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Hi Pheebs, just checking in on you to see what kind of badges you have earned today! I'm glad Fire wolf pointed out that those of us that are tall have a long ways to seat:heehee:. I hope you are making out okay without your DH, no pun intended....:roseshwr:
 
Well Becky, I'm actually not *making-out* at all, lol! However, I am surviving AND I have some splendid news! *Ahem* Another victory has just taken me by surprise tonight! Yes, that's right, you're all hearing this live, as it happens. I'm sitting at the kitchen table and was just posting to @Happydales' thread when I suddenly realized....my TKR foot was almost all the way UNDER my chair! I had to pinch myself! I've no idea how that translates to a flexion number other than hopefully being on the plus side of 100? Color me shocked! I wasn't even trying...it just *happened* like so many other things in this long, bizarre recovery; whoohoo!
 
You're just earning badges left & right! Low toilet seat and under table bending! I think that qualifies you for troop leader. I'm quite sure I still have my Girl Scout sash with a minimal number of badges on it. If I work a little harder I might get to earn a few on BS.
 
Wow, Pheebs, it's just one thing after another with you lately. Once that knee of yours decided to start working, it has really taken off! You have had such a great attitude through all of the "slow benders" meetings, and I am happy that it seems you are graduating out of the club. :wow:
 
Great news! You know my left knee was a little slow to bend. I felt like she stalled if I remember and then one night something just felt different and I could bend more. It just happened. I've always felt like your numbers were better than "Glittering Gary" measured, lol. Seriously you've been able to do things regardless of your numbers and that is great. Glad you are surviving and not making out :heehee:. Did you cook last night?
 
Aren't you the overachiever!!! I'll get that badge sash finished today and right out to you! :wink:
Seriously, you are having a phenomenal week! See, when you don't over think it, your knee just acts naturally!
Hmmm.... I believe there's a country song in there...
 
Hah, Becky, yes, I *burned* some chicken on the grill and some asparagus to go along with it. At least I didn't burn my arm or my hair. Maybe Gary is a great PT but lousy at measuring? LOL! I dunno, but of course he always measures in that awful, PHS position; pffft!

Helen, I think I'll need a sarong; forget the sash, lol!

Kmak, I was thrown out of the Brownies, lol!

Sandi, The Slow Benders Society is like The Hotel California; you can check-out but you can never leave, hahahaha!
 
@Thesoutherncook, yo, Helen! Start sewing another badge for my sari! Yep. This afternoon, I threw a cushion on my deck floor and got down there without too much difficulty! My motivation to get down on all fours was to try and stretch my hip flexor on my natural knee leg since it's very tight and causing some pain and problems. While I didn't exactly enjoy it, I'm delighted that I could not only do it, but actually get back up again, especially since Mistah is away on business, lol. I followed the @jaschembra method with a chair close by to help me rise up. Upper body strength required; yikes! Note to self: Work on arm strength! I have been doing *wall push-ups* for several months, but the triceps need some little dumbbells.

I decided to cancel PT for tomorrow due to back/hip pain and go for a full body massage instead. Much more fun and hopefully just the ticket after all this knee nonsense. Friday, I have an evaluation with the PA at the surgeon's office and hopefully he'll think I've made good progress since my 9 week visit. I can certainly do many more things, eh? I think I'll wear all of my badges if that isn't considered too tacky, lol.

But, and this is a rather large but, I still basically flunk prone heel slides. Despite my huge victory last night in getting my foot to go under my chair, which had to be beyond 100 degrees (right?) when I attempted some prone heel slides this morning just to validate my new flexibility, it was the same old story; stuck at around 95 or so. I find this so peculiar and no one seems to have a reasonable explanation; pffft!
 
You're right about the sari - a sash would never be big enough to hold all these badges you're collecting. Good going! :censored: heel slides. You have to have better flexion than that with everything you can do.
 
Just curious: Does anyone have a lumpy, pointy looking new knee? It looks so odd in profile compared to my other knee which is flat!

[Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
 
My apologies for such a cruddy photo, but it's a very difficult thing to photograph in profile without a selfie-stick! I think you can see what I'm talking about though. Probably just the endless swelling, eh?
 
I'm not convinced prone heel slides matter at all for anything whatsoever. I mean, I never even was asked to do them. They can't be that important. :what:

You can do so many things, and more with every passing day. Surely that counts for FAR more than whether you can slide your heel toward your butt. Going up and down stairs, and walking, and biking, and putting your foot back under a chair are far more impressive. Do the chair one with the PA on Friday. Seriously. This maneuver totally wowed the PA on my visit. She even said, "That's great!" It's sure-fire. :egypdance:
 
Hmmm... I think your knee looks fine, but I see what you mean. One thing to consider: you still have swelling. Your knee has not yet assumed its most perfect form.
 
Hahaha, I'm so happy to hear that *maybe* it will flatten out when I'm 90 Helen! Keep sewing those badges Helen, 'cuz I can't sew! Many thanks for volunteering!

Susie, I'll be sure to wow him with my chair-slide performance, lol! If need be, I'll show him my kneeling act; hah! Like you, I'm about 90% certain this is just residual swelling, (and I sure had a LOT of swelling initially) but it's really radically different looking than my other knee. If I didn't know better, I'd say an alien has gotten inside and is ready to pop out, ala Sigourney Weaver! I honestly don't care about it's appearance, as evidenced through wearing short dresses and shorts, but am quite curious about why it's so lumpy and pointy looking! It seems to look weirder every week, lol. Maybe my implant is a triangular model? :heehee:
 
It's probably not any consolation, but my updated knee is a lot lumpier than the bio one, and that says a lot because I have lumps all over my thighs, (both) but just above the patella on the outside of thigh it continues to be swollen. PT said so too. It's not very swollen but the PTs notice the difference.
Is the pointy part fleshy or hard?
 
:yes!:Dips... more dips for those triceps. From the couch Glad you were able to get up!
I think that is swelling. Just like the extra I have above my knee... maybe from your vantage point it looks pointy. :)
Also, when I was last in my OS office, I had asked what he thought my flex was - he got out his tool and I started to do a heel slide and he said, no, I think you're getting a better bend this way... I put my foot under the chair and got to the edge.

@VW54 if the area you describe is where I'm thinking, it's where my OS told me it's fluid/swelling - pops out there because there is no muscle holding it in.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom