TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Wow I admire you all at being able to get on the floor and back up. I'm afraid that I would be making the phone call, help I've fallen and I can't get up!
 
I pretty much do a downward type dog to get up from the floor as well. When I first started getting up - I used to only do it where I had a low sitting cushy chair or couch behind me and I would use my triceps to pull myself up backwards.

Wow, a few days off from BS and I'm 5 pages behind on you! :) First, congrats on the normal toilet seat/squat. It is liberating because you now know you can "go" anywhere. Second, congrats on the kneeling. I'm to scared to try going there yet and haven't had a need too. I haven't been on my knees in nearly 3 years due to all the bone/bone under the kneecaps. Sounds like you're doing good! Oh yeah, and congrats on getting going on your new exercise bike. Oh, and don't ODI while your hubby is out of town. :)
 
@jaschembra, I was also too scared to even think about kneeling, but when I did it, there was no thought process involved, lol! It just...happened; hah! In my case, going downstairs was the same deal as was sitting on the low toilet. Funny how that works, eh? Just this week, I was so glad to have conquered the low toilet. After PT, I really needed a bathroom and the handicapped stall was occupied, so it was a low toilet scene for me. I'm proud to say I aced it!:heehee:
 
Yes, I've been doing the very ungraceful downward dog for several weeks so I can get down on the floor and back up. I get tempted sometimes to kneel but am afraid the hard floor would be ouchy. My OS said that the new knee could take kneeling but that I might find it uncomfortable and would take getting used to. I practice the one leg kneeling motion onto a step from a standing position to work on glutes and quads but do not put weight on.

Hope your solo time goes well - glad you have the dogs to keep you company - and the spiffy new bike!
 
I'm glad to know that kneeling might return to the list of things I'll be able to do again because I've been missing my yoga classes, and a lot of the poses are on the knees. Of course it'll be a while before I can "cat and cow", but this gives me hope that I will be able to return to yoga gain.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaschembra, I was also too scared to even think about kneeling, but when I did it, there was no thought process involved, lol! It just...happened; hah! In my case, going downstairs was the same deal as was sitting on the low toilet. Funny how that works, eh? Just this week, I was so glad to have conquered the low toilet. After PT, I really needed a bathroom and the handicapped stall was occupied, so it was a low toilet scene for me. I'm proud to say I aced it!:heehee:

Me too! My house keeper was cleaning my bathroom last week, and I had to go really badly, so I used another bathroom in the house that does not have my raised toilet seat. It wasn't easy, or graceful, but I managed. Gave me confidence to know that if I'm out and get stuck somewhere without a handicapped toilet, I can manage.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543

LTKR scheduled on July 11th, 2017 [emoji51]
 
I read where you said your dh is on a business trip and you are alone with your knee. Is it wrong that I am envious? My two kids that are still at home are older teenagers who still count on me quite a bit as does my dh who sometimes is like one of the kids. I think I would like it to just be me and my books (and my ice of course) for a couple of days. Enjoy your time! :happydance:
 
Hahaha, no @mechellec, it is not wrong, lol. I'm just fine today, as are the dogs. It's just that first night that seems so peculiar and the dogs act very spooky that night as well. They bark at things like a leaf falling down....just in case, ya know? And, every car door might be Papa! Sometimes, they'll spend the whole first day at the top of the stairs, just staring at the front door. They also pout, lol. Pheebs goes to *work* in DH's office and ignores me until dinner time. Nemo sticks to me like glue. But, make no mistake, they are demanding in their own furry way. I'd even go so far as to say *entitled.* The good news is, they don't let me sit for too long and my knee prefers the up and down action! The worst part is I hate to cook and I'm not very good at it. I really miss hubby's wonderful dinners. Color me spoiled when it comes to the kitchen! Although, I am the "Certified Clean-Up Crew," mostly because I'm picky and don't care for hubby's version; hah!
 
So glad to hear you earned the Low Toilet badge! And I laughed out loud about your kitchen arrangement because mine is the opposite. Mr. Shoes would let me sit my life away. "Let me do that," says he. "I need to walk!" says me. Getting in the ups and downs is tough when you have an enabler.
 
Hi, Pheebs52, I used to be a decent cook until we became empty nesters, and especially now in recovery, I have little interest. Thankfully my husband is very easy going with whatever I decide to make or not to make. We've become fans of Kentucky Fried Chicken lately, not the healthiest but very tasty. We don't get it often, but he always agrees when I suggest it! First week post op it was really nice when I had neighbors bringing us dinners, quite large amounts, too, so a lot went into the freezer.
 
Hahaha, perhaps we're back in Girl Scouts? The "Low Toilet Badge," is one I'm most to wear @SusieShoes! So much so, today, I just made myself get up and down from it about 20 times just for some targeted quad strengthening, lol.

Oh Mistah would let me sit my life away, it's the dogs who won't; hah! Mistah is finally beginning to become less of a "Helicopter Hubby," but it's not been easy, for him or for me. For instance, he had a bit of a hissy fit when he saw I had placed one of the Rubbermaid folding stepstools next to the bike. His feeling was it would *slip*. I don't think so, in fact, I know it won't, but we compromised by him placing a small rug underneath it with a rubberized backing. *Whatever*....:whistle: I also didn't bother to inform him of my mattress kneeling feat the other night. After all, he was asleep and that's what necessitated it! I see it as win; he'd see it as a risk. We're as different as day and night but, it seems to work.:happydance:
 
Hi Jockette! We've relied on take-out and delivery quite a bit more than usual during the first awful weeks of recovery. Mistah was too busy *nursing* and *fetching* in between working at his paying job, to plan or cook many meals. Thankfully, things are getting back to a much more normal state in the kitchen and the knee!

When did you have your TKR?
 
@Pheebs52 - what great progress you've made in the last few weeks!

Congrats on the low toilet badge! I still check out the height of toilets / benches / chairs. I just wish everything was a nice comfortable height!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lol. Low Toilet Badge! :rotfl:

The hardest part of my trip to New England was my friends low,toilet. She didn't have a cabinet nearby to lean on, so I struggled each time to get up. And I have a tiny bladder, so there was no avoiding it!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom