TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Can really appreciate your achievement. It really took me a long time after my RTKR to advance to that level. I still try to avoid the short stools. Replaced one toilet with the higher model and have used it almost exclusively. I swear some motels have the models to be used by preschoolers and kindergarteners. OUCH!
 
Well Smarties, not only can I do it, but I do it with great elegance now, lol!

Did 9 minutes on the bike today and a few, very challenging backwards rotations; ugh! Lot of ice this afternoon and tonight *just in case.* So far, so good.....:fingersx:
 
But to where, @kmak81230? The million $$$ question, eh? Oh well, as we say in the sailing world, "It's not about the destination, it's the journey."

The 9 minutes were hard to do. Not ouchy, just a struggle. While I was in PT, struggling with my backwards rotations, Mistah was at home assembling my shiny new exercise bike! It's really lovely, with a very comfy seat. I think it's also a smidge easier to pedal than the PT bike and right now, that's a plus! I only pedaled for about 2 minutes just to determine the correct seat height. My seat has to be so high I think I may need a stepstool to get down, lol. 'Twas not a graceful dismount!
 
I remember the toilet seat victory and it is indeed a victory. I will celebrate anything that has been tough since surgery that begins to feel normal again! Hope you enjoy your new bike!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @mechellec! I really think I will enjoy it, most especially because it has a very comfy seat that seems to make my pancake butt happy....not an easy task! It's also very quiet and I find pedaling a smidgen easier on it than the PT bike.:SUNsmile: How are you feeling tonight?



Oh, the toilet seat victory is very liberating. Prior to last night, I had to grab the windowsill with one hand and the sink with the other to stand up! Of course, I could've kept the high-rise gizmo on for much longer than I did, but I found it very unappealing in several ways. For one, it pinched my bottom and I was not amused! I could also lower myself onto the regular one, but was always paranoid about having my TKR leg extended to avoid excess bending and consequent pain. You know how it is. I really don't know what led to last night's free-spirited visit, but it's been grand, up and down ever since!:heehee:
 
i did that once by surprise a couple weeks ago, but since then i think i've been "guarding", trying not to do it again, grabbing on to the windowsill and sink. funny thing though, is it didn't hurt at all. i was coming down the steps in my sister's house today, which are shallow steps that i could handle easily using alternate feet, but i came down very slowly...i think i was "guarding" again when i didn't need to. i come down slowly so as to use proper form. i use alternate feet going down the 2 steps out my front door, which are shallow but the ones inside my house to the basement are steeper. i enjoy going down those backwards for now. i'm happy for you that you are once again liberated, first the stairs, then the bike, and now the toilet.:yay:
 
Yeah, Pheebs! You are really on a roll! In this recovery, it truly is the little things. Your list of the "good times" is growing daily! Just because you have this new sports model bike at home, don't get sassy and over do!
If you think back on the journey, it really is amazing. The small steps are HUGE in our world and not to be taken lightly. As you said, victories only our TKR Sisters would understand! :yay: Do we need a secret handshake??
 
I use my practice stepping box to get on to my stationary bike at home. Have only used it 3 times thus far because I bike 20 min at rehab on recumbent bike there and avoid biking on my " 3 days off".
Re toilet seat. Never got a riser and it was a challenge the first 2 weeks when ROM was probably at 75/80. I used to hold on to sink to lower and raise self. Hoping it would not dislodge from wall. Even had such a nightmare!
Now I only use sink as levarage when I'm tired or in the middle of the night.
 
Yes, it is about the journey though it is a bit more challenging on the stationary bike as the scenery stays the same. :loll:Can't wait to see a photo of the new bike!! I did not use the toilet riser as we got comfort toilets a few years back but I had a railing thing that slid alongside the toilet. Only took that away a couple of weeks ago when our houseguest visited. Small victories add up to big progress! 9 minutes on the bike is a long time! I think I stayed at 3-5 for a couple weeks. Glad the new seat is comfy - makes a huge difference.
 
I love this forum! Having just removed my raised toilet seat myself, I can so relate. I have avoided telling anyone else about this little victory, fearing it would sound like a pathetic topic to the "outside" world. One of my friends ran a marathon, and another recently returned from an African safari. I couldn't bring myself to tell them I sat on a regular toilet seat! But here, hey, it's all a celebration.
 
We do have such an astonishingly low bar, eh? LOL!

@Thesoutherncook, I LOVE the idea of a *Secret Handshake*...will we chant something appropriate while shaking hands? I hope so!

Oh, @Happydale, marathons and safaris are just...I dunno....so bourgeois in comparison to our feats, wouldn't you say? I mean, anyone can get jazzed about those things, but we have the ability to whistle all day after performing the most seemingly mundane tasks. I really think we're onto something in the overall happiness scheme.:SUNsmile:
 
I have to use steps to get on my bike

[Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
 
:wowspring:
These victories are so awesome! Now I’m really thinking about doing away with the raised toilet seat! My hubby put bars up, so I know I can get down and back up again!

The other day at PT I did 10 minutes on the bike and pumped it up to a level 3. Felt good and I kept the RPM’s between 68-70 the whole time!:dancy:

That knee is moving in the right directions each day. I had my best numbers Friday in which I was at 110 for my bend and 9 for straightening. I’ll take it!!:yes!:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom