TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@Pheebs52, remember last Friday I was able to do rotations on the bike with 90 flexion. Today I had 105 and did it easily. You were thinking you had to be at least around 110. Maybe it had to be with the settings on the bike. I know on my bike at home the seat was as high and far back as it could go. I'm thinking that would impact it for sure. That is I'm thinking as well as drugs are allowing me to think. My brother called just to mess with me cause he thought it was so funny. He hold me he bet I was a hilarious drunk..... I think maybe another nap. I'm gonna ride this nice sleep as long as I can!:giggle:
 
Pffft! I'm in a foul mood.

Becky, WOW!!!!

Helen, how sweet of you to inquire. I'm just kinda *meh*. Had PT today and they mostly worked on my back and hip which have been really aggravated for the past week. The rest was gait training and that's such a bore. Necessary, but ...well....you know, tedious. The knee is basically status quo, though today's measurements showed a backslide from Monday's glory to 98. Gary attributed that to swelling and I *think* I may know why it was more swollen. Yesterday, I ...*discovered* a new, fun trick. I can FINALLY use my outdoor wicker rocker, something I've not been able to do all along. Sooo, I think I may have rocked-out a bit too much. Nothing serious, just a bit more swollen than the typical wonkiness.
 
Must be the week for the BLAHS! Yes, I agree that gait training is BORING, but so necessary. We do NOT want to be those people who others watch and decide that we walk like we need TKR! Yes, you probably rocked yourself too much. But, so what? It will go away. I could feel my knee swelling while I was sitting in my studio today. I was determined not to let it be the boss when BAM! absolutely NO ENERGY! Geez! I got the picture! The knee rules.
 
It's such a back and forth thing with these knees. Mine can be great one day and the next, for no apparent reason, one or the other will be sore. Maybe the way I slept. Maybe the way I stepped. Maybe the way I schlepped. My flexion will be better one day, worse on another. At this point, though, three months along, these crazy knees tend to get better again by the end of the day, or by the next morning. Setbacks don't put me back for long. And I hope that's the way with you.
 
I hope the back and hip work was beneficial. What a nuisance! Well it is good to know that any backsliding is temporary. I often have swings of around 10 degrees or more from day to day depending on my swelling/activity. Glad you could enjoy the rocker!
 
@SusieShoes, I had to laugh when I saw *schlepped.* I've just been *schlepping* about in a very low-key way the rest of the day, in between icing my back/hip. The knee is basically back to my Square One, but the back and hip are a different ballgame.

@Thesoutherncook, Helen, is it something atmospheric? certain the cosmos is conspiring against us this week. Sunspots perhaps? When is the eclipse supposed to arrive? I'm going to blame that, lol. I know the Perseids are due very soon; perhaps tomorrow? Yes, tomorrow and the next night. I'll bet you have a great view of those! And I agree, so what if fun rocking made it a bit more swollen; I had a blast with my pretty, unused rocker!:happydance: I actually bought it just before my TKR thinking it would be great therapy, lol. I did try it out at around 3 weeks and again at 6 weeks. The 3 week attempt was disastrous, actually impossible. Mistah had to haul me out of the chair; hah! The 6 week attempt was tough and resulted in several days of painful swelling. However, yesterday felt great! :yes!: So, a little extra swelling was worth it today. :SUNsmile: Maybe it won't swell at all next time, eh?

@kmak81230, I'm sure the back/hip will be beneficial, but not quite yet....hmmm....nope. I may actually ask for a separate Rx to address this issue after I'm done with knee PT. Before the knee failed, I was be able to manage it myself, using some strength training, heat, massage, stretching and ice. I'd get the occasional epidural injection as well. But, the knee, which is basically raring to go, is actually in better shape than the hip/back at present.

Many of the knee activities I'm doing, even basic ADL's, are affecting the hip, especially stairs. Yep, I'm doing so much more stair activity than I was pre-TKR and the hip is letting me know. She has a BIG mouth and as such, informs my back. I wish she would just keep her hippy mouth shut, but alas, she does not.
 
So sorry to hear that it was not a quick fix for the back & hip. In preparation for a talk next week to 400 incoming freshmen I was reading up a bit on "grit" and you definitely have it (as do many of the Smarties) - not the annoying little particles of sand that you can't get rid of - but rather the resolve, determination, and strength of character type of grit. Hang in there *twin* :flwrysmile:
 
This forum is positively inundated with grit, and definitely not of the sandy variety! What a great idea for a freshman introduction! :SUNsmile:
 
I just want to congratulate you on your progress! Haven't had a chance to read whole thread yet, but may have to do it in stages so as not to pee myself from laughing!:rotfl:
 
Good morning Smarties! I'm much less grumpy today and suspect it could be related to less cranky body parts? Yes, that ''s probably it, eh? Either that, or it's because tonight the Perseids will arrive in all their glory, and I look forward to that each year. I won't be able to see them due to cloud cover, but still, I like the idea of them scurrying around the cosmos for our viewing pleasure. It's annual display connects us all to the Universe as a whole and allows us to move our thinking beyond our knees. What can I say? Distraction works!

Now, for today's nitty-gritty, I am supposed to follow these instructions whenever I attempt walking:

1) Stand up and *find my center of gravity.* Apparently, it's most often lost. I think it's somewhere just south of my belly-button, but it may also be a moving target. Harumph!
2) Once found, tighten my chopped-liver abs and perform a pelvic tilt motion to flatten the small of my back. In the past, I've only done this lying down. To call this bizarre is a supreme understatement.
3) Proceed to walk, but be certain to place most of my weight on the forward foot.:umm:
4) While doing so, be sure to weight the TKR foot a tad more heavily. :shrug:
5) Breathe....while still sucking in the abdominals. Hmm...difficult. :sigh:
6) Do. Not. Lock. Knees. :scratch: Really? I didn't know I was, but apparently I am mistaken. :what:
7) Now, try to glide, naturally, of course.:flabber:

All of this walking prep takes at least 5 minutes to ponder and more to actually institute. Of course, some crucial steps are ...er...forgotten. Apparently, it requires constant editing. And sure, I'm totally up for that 'cuz it's so *natural.*

Do real people do this? I asked them to demonstrate and all assured me that *everyone* without back, hip and knee pain walks like this. Really? Not on my planet, Gary. No, not on my planet. Perhaps I should just grab the tail of a shooting star tonight and schlep back home to my much more laid-back planet. This Earth stuff is rough!
 
@Fire wolf, there's really a lot to recommend cold, lol! You can always peer through our windows and feel the hot-knee warmth of the SLOW KNEES emanating toward you. It would probably even melt the snow? Or at least protect you from developing chilblains. Yes, I'm sure it would.
 
It's true. You aren't supposed to lock your knees during walking. My PT in rehab mentioned that. I had a really good gait from the start, because I never let myself develop bad walking habits. I just hurt like :censored:. But I always made sure even with my horrible, horrible knees to try to walk naturally, with a nice soft bend. Though I didn't have to correct my gait, my PT in rehab was ferocious about how to walk and watched me like a hawk lest I lapse.

Locking the knees is for standing. It makes standing easier and for longer. A knee with poor extension doesn't lock, so not only does it work less well for walking, it can't support standing for very long. I've noticed as Lefty's extension has gotten better, I can stand for much longer periods without tiring.

Interesting about how to center oneself. I'll have to try that. I always try to walk straight, but my belly could use a little tightening and my core is for, well, I might not even have one. :groan:

Glad you're feeling better today!
 
:rofsign: Love your walking guidelines! Let us know how that works for you! Me, no way! I've always been extremely uncoordinated, have zero rhythm and no grace! Total ballet drop out!

Happy to hear you are feeling better mentally. Let's hope the Perseids (or whatever we can credit this change of attitude of ours to ) continues! I think a change of lattitude would help also...a little Jimmy Buffet playing in the background? If only I could click my heels together and be at the beach, I think all would be better...just for the day...watching the waves come in and go out, come in and go out....
 
@Pheebs52 I can just picture you walking down the street trying to remember all those items--back flat, check; knees not locked, check; weight distributed, check; look natural, maybe not!
 
Hey @Pheebs52 I for one completely understand your blahs. I was on a bit of a high yesterday after seeing my OS but today am just meh...... Maybe you are right. Maybe we need some asroids to collide?
 
Back
Top Bottom