Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Just yesterday I asked the PT in charge that day at rehab to please observe my gait.
I pretended I was walking the "cat walk" and she said it looked good. So...from now on whenever I am being observed by PT or doc at that place I will have to imagine an audience in the trenches at either side. Now...how to apply this to my usual everyday peg-legging tendencies. ??
Obviously I can walk "normal" but my head is not there 'yet'.
 
Here's the conundrum: Basically, my gait is just fine with respect to the new knee. It is NOT fine, at all, for the back and hip, hence the militaristic instructions! Will is somehow absorb all these instructions by osmosis? One can only hope, lol. I was told to think of my center of gravity as having a zipper and to zip it up when I stand....hope I can find the tab; hah! After 4, major abdominal surgeries, there's just not a whole lot of *there* there.

Oh Helen, let's just go! Margaritaville, here we come! Ever been? I have and loved it, lol! It would be so good for....everything! I can still see the tiny sea-horses clinging to the tall grasses at the water's edge. Talk about a perfect, post-op environment!
 
Right now, I'm just enjoying the back dec kwith some java before I do some "rocking therapy," again. Yep, I'm doing it again 'cuz I like it, minor swelling be damned. After that, I suppose I have to leave my personal planet and enter the pesky Real World for a bit to perform some basic ADL or errand. Such a nuisance that real World is, eh?
 
@Pheebs52 thanks to you I have had to start wearing Depends and set up my portable commode at home, so that I am adequately prepared for any bladder explosions while reading your posts!:rotfl:
I did actually attempt the walking rules while at work, and found it, well, interesting to say the least. I will say that I had that delightful gliding across the room feeling, but do not see this as something that my abs or butt would like to maintain for long, unless there is a way to tilt pelvis without tightening cheeks!:heehee: I guess I better start adding 1 legged planks to my day so that my core can handle the new gliding way of ambulating!:ok:
As for the cold, I don't mind it. Was shoveling after a huge storm in the winter and went tromping through waste high snow piles to try to move some. Of course I had my lovely designer Breg unloader brace on, and when someone suggested this activity was probably not a great idea for my bad knee, I just informed them that I was in fact multi-tasking by icing the knee at the same time!:cool: And no worries, my knee still offers warmth and is wrapped in ice as much as possible!
Glad your spirits are up!:happydance:
 
:holysheep:that's a lot to think about. My PTs call the ab thing the VPAC -- I could barely concentrate on it and do it while flat on my back -- let alone adding it to strict walking instructions. I suppose if we are slow to bend we'll at least have abs of steel.

I also love the Perseids - we usually sleep out on the back deck and watch till we fall asleep. If it's not cloudy perhaps I'll give it go tonight.
 
Oh @Pheebs52, how I love your descriptive nature. I left PT today and waited till I got in the car before I started crying and cried all the way home. When DH asked what was wrong I told him I couldn't even :censored: walk....
So today Monika was having me practice walking. No way could I describe as well as you. I told her if I had to think about five different things before I took a step I would never learn to walk. It's the back, hip and pelvic tilts to a tee. Well girl if we lived closer together we could start our own comedy routine! People might pay money to watch that.

Ok, I'm done. I'm going to pick myself back up and do a computer class I have to do for work. It's due Tuesday and it's five hours long with an exam.... My brain doesn't seem to work anymore....:hairpulling:
 
Good evening Pheebs, just checking to make sure you haven't perfected that walk and you have walked away. Seriously I hope you are enjoying the Perseids. I'm not sure what time they arrive but hoping your cloud cover has lifted for your viewing pleasure.
 
Oh Becky, surely we'd be hired in a flash by The Ministry of Silly Walks, eh? Up against us, John Cleese would never have made it and where would Monty Python have been?

Psst: I have a big tip though and this is exciting, as follows: Upon standing, even if only walking across the kitchen, do the pelvic tilt, zip-up trick immediately. Focus all mental power (shaky at best, I know) on just that for today. Nothing else. The rest will hafta wait. Literally, One Step at A Time! By around 6 P.M. I was ever so s-l-o-w-l-y able to incorporate placing the most weight on the forward foot. Perhaps next week I'll be gliding like @Fire wolf. You'll probably be more like Gisele, or Gigi or any number of those Catwalk queens. We can dream, right?
 
you gals are so darn funny. pheebs, your p.t.'s description reminds me of the instructor at a fitness class my hubby has been going to for a few years. it's called "yogalates fore golf" lol...one way to get the men into yoga and pilates. anyways, this instructor would always say "engage" this or that...your abdomen, thighs, etc. before doing an exercise. i decided to try out the class for 6 weeks, once a week and that is where part of my knee problem was aggravated. he had us doing around 20 squats, one right after the other (not like in my yoga class where we do very slow deliberate squats, the instructor talking us through it). after the last class (this was a few years ago), i could barely walk, my knees were so sore. i probably wasn't doing them correctly as no one else had the problem and they were most women, same age as me and hubby.

hope everyone will have a good weekend. just got back from another outdoor theatre, 2-1/4 hours drive each way and i'm exhausted. the play was: The History of Drinking in Cavan (that's a small township near Peterborough, Ont.). it was hilarious and emotional. no more car trips or parties for me for awhile ~ those were obligations, tickets booked before my surgery. although i was all set up with a pouff, a pillow, and ice packs, it was still very uncomfortable, not to mention those hard plastic chairs. thank goodness it's the weekend. night night!
 
Sorry to jump in here. I know this isn't the right place to ask but I can't seem to figure out how.

Would like to be directed to the chart of taking tramadol and Tylenol together.
OMG these posts are funny. Made my day! Thanks to ALL OF YOU.
 
@Hopetohike walk 300 steps W, take a 45° turn counterclockwise, and continue another 267 steps. Rise up on your toes, put one hand in the air to check for wind direction, then proceed backwards 68 steps (because you went too far). Now, look Northeast, find your center, tighten abs, tilt pelvis and glide 251 steps without locking knees. Look to your left for the chart. What, it's not there?????:chinstroke: Well, at least you looked good looking for it! Very nice form!:egypdance:
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I can't remember where I saw the chart you are looking for as brain is preoccupied with knee and knee alone, but I wanted so much to be helpful!:yes:
 
I fully get that @SusieShoes, there is no straight line trajectory of recovery, as my PT and OS claim there should be. I have a couple of good days and a couple of bad days. Today was not so good, so I slept until noon, showered, took more pain meds, and slept some more--pretty much the entire day. I figured that's what my body needed today and to fight off the need to sleep would do me no good.


Sent from my iPad

LTKR scheduled on July 11th, 2017 [emoji51]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's brilliant - 9 hours of sleep! Can't remember when I had that much. Well done. Not sure if I am doing this right - I just press quote this message to reply is that right ?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom