TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Oh Polkadot, LOL! You're killing me and so early in the morning, hahaha! I think "The Mooch's," ...er...elegant (?) photo just shows how deceiving appearances can be!

Ok, going downstairs backwards: First, hold the railings, of course! At the top of the stairs, turn around with your back to the stairs. Place your TKR leg down one step and advance your so-called *good leg* to the step below that. Your TKR leg will bend, but....*graciously*, and not too much. It's really rather breath-taking when you discover you can do this without pain! It definitely shouldn't cause pain. If it does, stop. If it doesn't, advance it down to the step below your *good* leg. I know, I know, that sounds scary, but....it isn't. Naturally, this is all done in a very slo-mo fashion. You are not traipsing down, you are ever so slowly, advancing, foot-over-foot, just like the *normal* forward style.

My charming PT, Gary, said it trains the brain to recognize this old motion pattern, and helps the knee realize it CAN move this way. It also helps to loosen things up a bit....stair fears and our stiff knees! Honestly, I thought he was crazy when he first told me to do this, but I think it's probably been instrumental in my being able to turn around and go down the stairs *normally.* Try it, you have nothing to lose and I think a lot to gain. Remember, if you don't like it, you can always turn around and go back to whatever you were doing. You can also practice on just a few stairs; don't need to do the entire staircase. Good luck!:yes!:
 
Thanks Helen, though I wish that Sleep Fairy hadn't stolen your precious zzzz's! She's so capricious, isn't she?
 
Helen, what's keeping you up, any idea? Is it pain/discomfort the bladder or something else? I know it's so hard to figure out and we're best off not to get too analytical about it. I was a wandering nomad for the first 5-6 weeks and just picked up a book, some ice, a pain med if needed, until I fell asleep again. That usually but (not always) occurred within an hour or so. We just have to *go with the flow* and nap whenever possible in those first trying, sleep-deprived weeks. It's not for sissies, eh?
 
Thank you, thank you, Pheebs52! I'll give the stairs a try as soon as I get off this site! I like Gary's hypothesis about retraining the brain. When trying to go downstairs the "right" way, I do feel as though I've forgotten the correct movement pattern. My operated-on leg can't figure out how to bend to complete the process! I'm hopeful he's right, and I will report back after a few days of trial.

Re the Mooch: Since I've been constrained at home, I've realized how entertaining politics can be. I'm watching it now like a stage play.
 
Not sure about the sudden lack of sleep, Peebs. Pre-surgery I was like you and got up many nights to read or nap in my chair. I don't get up now because DH is still on high alert! And I use the squeaky walker at night. I suspect I may just be getting back to my previous sleep pattern which I treated with Melatonin. Might be time to get back to it. Nothing hurts, just restless, as @nensi said, rotisserie sleep!
 
@Polkadot, Gary told me from the beginning that so many PT exercises were done solely to create new, neural pathways. I told him at session one, that I felt as though I had *forgotten* how to walk, and...I did feel that way. Intellectually, of course I knew what to do, but...it was a struggle, not automatic in any sense of the word. Needless to say, this has improved radically, though I do still sometimes remind myself to walk as though I am trying to create a deep impression on wet sand with my TKR foot. I like the beachy vision, so it works for me.:SUNsmile:

The stairs seem to be of the same ilk, lol.

@Thesouthern cook, Helen, I think you just might be onto something with reverting to your pre-TKR sleeping pattern! If melatonin doesn't interfere with any of your present meds, why not give it a try? I used it many years ago when I entered into surgical meno and found it very helpful. I also found SleepyTime tea to be helpful, but of course, a knee is not meno, so your mileage may vary right now.
 
Just checking in on you and all seems to be well!! Congrats on getting better with those stairs and your ROM. It just gets better and better (minus the stiffness and swelling that I continue to have).
 
Hah, great timing on your post @jaschembra! Why? Well, I always enjoy hearing from you, but just yesterday, the mysterious stiffness/swelling returned, for no apparent reason! Yep, a real mystery and I ended up with a very icy evening, lol. This morning, I am back to some *achy-breaky* stuff, but not as stiff. Yesterday, I didn't do anything to ...er...*earn* this, it just happened, out of the blue, as it were.

So, it's good to be reminded by one so much further ahead than I, this still happens! Obviously, for a long time. Aaah yes, the "Year Long Recovery," song does ring a bell. I hear it now. One ringy-dingy, two ringy dingy....:scratch:
 
Yes, that bout of aching and swelling out of the blue. I had one of those last week and it was, "Wot?" No clue as to why. I blamed the weather and spent a day icing on the Lounge Doctor with my laptop on, yes, my lap and not the desk. And now this week both knees are being champs, with less stiffness than ever.

Darn knees are doing their thing. They don't care what we think about it. They have their own thing going on.
 
My knee was really swollen and stiff yesterday with nothing to account for it... weather, exercise, etc. BUT then, I remembered: My step daughter brought us home our favorite sugar item from Destin, FL (CandyMaker) - Pecan Pralines. 8 of them! Hubby and I devoured half of them Monday night and I had my additional 2 yesterday afternoon. Sugar is a leading culprit for inflammation. I think that was it! Dang. Much better today and I go to the pool today so the knee will feel better afterwards. I'm glad to be a reminder for you :)
 
Susie, weather, phase of the moon, alien invasion, and Mercury in retrograde all crossed my mind. Seriously, what a weird agenda these knees have, eh? Just going with the weird flow here....
 
Hmmm, now I hadn't thought of sugar as a culprit Jaschembra, but I'll have to review what I ate yesterday! Thanks for an insight more sensible than an alien invasion!:heehee:
 
Oh, also thanks for the reminder to me to fin a new pool; aarrggh! My old favorite has moved far away!
 
My keyboard needs some serious un-sticking; pffft! Fin=find!
 
Now, you may reasonably ask, "How does a pool move?" Well, the athletic club that owned it has relocated. Clearly, the pool remains, but it appears no new ownership has stepped in....odd that. If only I could sneak in, lol!
 
Pheebs - you continue to impress and amuse me! Hoping your knee has lost its stiffness today!
I have actually decided to just carry on with life this week. No PT! The only thing I am doing is riding the exercise bike a bit. I have my appointment with my OS on Thursday and have absolutely no idea what he will say as I am still not bending well. I think I have my extension down to 0 now so that's a plus. I decided there is nothing more I can do about it at this point so I have quit worrying. I am feeling pretty good, knee has very little pain and walking without a cane now so that's what is important to me! Still have stiffness and some tightness in my quad but I think that will go in time.
I wish we all had Gary Glitter for PT!!
 
Sounds like a good plan @Canada35 - particularly not worrying about the upcoming OS visit. Easier said than done, eh? I do think the knee appreciates rest days or weeks now and then - at least that's what I'm counting on. My knee is probably saying "Hey Lady, would you make up your mind here - one week you're killing me and the next we're on a vacation." 0 extension is fabulous -- I could only dream of such a thing - and since it's so important for good walking I hope your OS will be proud of you. Hopefully he will recognize that you are making slow, but steady progress on the flexion. I am lucky like Pheebs to have a great PT.
 
@Canada35, let's see, you are about 2 weeks ahead of me and you, unlike moi, can actually ride a bike! That means your flexion must be somewhere around 110ish? If your extension is also close to zero, I'd think your OS would be very pleased? Mine was delighted with my zero extension and went into a lengthy chat about how too much emphasis is placed on flexion and not enough on extension. So, if you don't care for your surgeon's response, come see mine instead. We could probably also book you an appointment with Gary Glitter, who makes all things knee feel ever so much better.:SUNsmile:
 
...and here is a thought on how the knee will behave on August 21: I am in the direct path of the total solar eclipse lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom