TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Pheebs52, you are hard to catch up on after not being on here for a week. I've been skimming and it sounds as if you have made some real progress. Yay, you!! I'm a bit jealous of you being able to do the alternate legs on stair (jealous but glad for you!) - at 5 months plus, I am just starting to do that with less pain. Such good news that you are walking more and have become a supremo. This humble junior member is in awe!
 
Oh been walking down backwards ever since you mentioned it, in my building, not in public places (though there haven't been that many "opportunities" as I always take lift/elevator if available.)
And yes, there are rails on both sides ...and I hold on to one side of frame when I use my exercise box. The box is a low step. I guestimate 15 cm.
The steps to my apartment are higher.
I do have a higher one. (But haven't bothered) The air stepper exercises at Physio are also on a very low one. I am supposed to try doing it 5x holding on for going down and 5x free going up. That's my pain threshold thus far. At home I only do 3x but 2x day. (Much better)
 
what pheebs52???? now you are walking down the stairs alternate feet??? i'm afraid you'll soon have to resign your membership in the "slow benders club", although we will make an exception being as you are supremo. that's wonderful news pheebs.:curtsey: btw, what is "silly walks" (and i don't mean monty python).:what:
 
She is getting to be a bit much, don't you agree @liam2015! I expect Pheebs will be doing cartwheels before long and will probably answer "yes" to the PT question about how our "hopping" is going.
 
Derailing again re cartwheels: That would be something!
Have you ever been able to do that? I never ever could. Used to envy the kids who could. However, I could walk well on stilts and ride a unicycle. Would be fun to try again. But I won't.
 
I used to be able to do cartwheels -- I was a dance and gymnastics student in the Miss Eloise School of Dance -- but stopped around the age of 10. I have walked on stilts but never mastered the unicycle -- I saw a unicycle at my PT clinic -- hope they aren't planning to have me do that soon.
 
At last I'm on this thread and forum had a bit of trouble but the love people at bones art sorted. I really do not know what I would have done without the reading of all you posts the last 5 days or so - they kep me strong and gave me something to focus on thank you all I have so enjoyed reading all your threads I am from Wales in the uk and had a tkr 19 days ago - I could not see the small progressions I was making daily - I cannot sleep longer than an hou in bed as my hip bones burn don't know why still very still when first standing using a walker at present I only see my pt once a week and have only seen her once since coming home I was in hospital7 days. I didn't find pheebees recovery until about 5 days ago and have looked forward to reading daily until I caught up with the whole thread got up this morning and didn't have my usual dose of your comments and was so disappointed was going to start reading the thread all over again but they have sorted out my access to the thread now - sorry to ramble but you are all my heroes thank you xxx
 
Hello all I am Sheila from Wales uk 19 days post op wrote something earlier but I think it went on another page had trouble trying to register but all okay now hope you are all okay I have loved reading your threads thank you x
 
Hi @Milosnanna - Do you have your own recovery thread yet? One of the advisors can help you to create one and then we can follow your progress. Sorry to hear that you are unable to sleep - that is an almost universal complaint among TKR folks. It will eventually get better but perhaps not for several weeks. Take naps throughout the day as you can.
 
For at least 20 years I came down stairs backwards. My OS recommended it after my 2nd. kneecap removal for safety reason and less stress on the knees. If you think about it, if the knee gives out, you don't fall down the stairs because you're facing up them. I did it backwards everywhere I went. People looked at me like I was crazy, but I'd just smile and say and that I'd fall up the stairs instead of down them if I fell. I got a nod and a chuckle from most everyone. At first I was very self-conscious about it, but that didn't last long!
 
I commend you, Pheebs, both for your progress and also for your ability to roll with the punches - whatever comes your way, you are the model of cool. You are an inspiration to so many of us. May the good times continue to roll for you!
 
Sheesh, you guyz are making me blush, lol! I'm glad you could find us Milosnanna! You'll catch on quickly to navigating the site, especially now that you'll have your own Recovery Thread.:SUNsmile:

I was at PT this morning for 90 minutes, which is rather unusual, but, I developed some serious low-back and bionic hip area pain (non-tkr leg) last night, so they addressed that as well as spending some quality time with my knee. I was almost going to cancel my appointment, but then I thought, "No. These are the exact people you need to see." Some PT's are unwilling to treat issues other than the one for which you have an Rx, but I called first, and Gary Glitter said "No Problem. I treat the whole person." That he does and very well, I might add.:dancy:

So, today is Week 11 for me; whoohoo! I do seem to be on a bit of a *recovery-roll* these last two weeks and that's a great feeling. I keep waiting for some sort of...er..*stuff* to hit the fan, but it really hasn't. Today, I got my knee to 102 degrees, (YOWZA) completely unassisted in one of those despicable, prone, heel-slides. It was a little bit ouchy, but still, I did it, and it's all iced-up and elevated now. That said, I do not see any cartwheels in my future, or a unicycle, or stilts. But, underwater basket-weaving might be an intriguing possibility @nensi!

@phrog, it's lovely to see you here even if you are a smidge jealous of my stair prowess; hah! Trust me, it's just as much of a mystery to me as it is to you. It came like a *bolt out of the blue* and I could've been knocked over by the proverbial feather. I'm sure you'll experience the same when you least expect it! BTW, I was given to understand by PT and OS that this is *early* for that particular milestone. Me? Early? Wonders never cease.:SUNsmile:

@liam2015, just a minute now. I am not relinquishing my membership in the "Slow-Benders Club," that easily. Oh, nooo, I've paid my dues and expect full membership privileges for life. Besides, aren't you walking down stairs, foot-over-foot? Please say yes, because I want you to able to, but also because I'll feel like a complete toad if this isn't so.

@Thesoutherncook, Helen, dahling, (that's my Boston accent, not a typo) you are ALLOWED to be a slug right now, in fact, it's sanctioned. Me? Not so much, hahahaha! Just remember, you'll be here in no time and no doubt with better flexion than mine when you reach 11 weeks.:yes!:

@Happydale, all I can say to that is "Backatcha," GF! I love your posts, even when they include rodents!:happydance:

@kmak81230, I'll do my very best to reign in any obnoxious tendencies toward gloating. Really, I will. If I step over the line of good taste, just give me a kick with your TKR leg. :wink:
 
102!! Now that calls for some celebrating and serious gloating:yay::happydance::spin: -- sorry to hear about the back and hip issues though!!! Hope you can get those straightened out. So glad Gary Glitter is willing to work on the "whole" you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom