TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Yeah! whole lot better than "subrom-o"
Continuing w play on words... I was thinking we need a cheer like knee-knee-hooray!
Or new-knee- hooray
Why should only the hipsters have a cheer?
Editing to add there could be variations for those like you who have had both: hip-knee-hooray!
 
Becky, you beat me to it! Good for you! My feet really took a beating from this surgery and recovery. All the *Silly Walking* doesn't help either, lol.
 
Pheebs you need to go Monday! I usually get a pedicure every month so I was long over due. I figured I best get one before the MUA because I don't know if I will bend afterwards! On the massage she said my quads weren't bad but the hamstrings were all knotted up. It hurt so good if you know what I mean:groan:
 
Becky, PT is on Monday for me, but I'll aim for Tuesday! Good idea for you to get one now before MUA!

Hah, yes I do know exactly what "hurts so good," means and I know I'll get some of that, especially for my back. :groan: I don't think my back has ever fully recovered from "Walker-itis."
 
Well Smarties, I had a supremo walk down my 13 stairs last night with no ill-effects! Whoohoo! It was so much easier than it was the first time on last Tuesday! Now my challenge will be to not overdo them. Hmmm, how many times is the elusive *sweet-spot*? :chinstroke: I know, I know, it's the million dollar question and we're all different.
 
That is something to ponder or just try out. If it were me, I'd be doing down steps shortly before I know I can elevate legs. (Just because they deserve a reward.)
I could do 2 sequential steps down on Thursday, but it was underwater.
On my practice box it still won't do. Too much effort, sometimes pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Kneerah!!! I expect you'll figure out the "sweet spot" - I can generally tell by now if it's gonna be a good stair day or if I need to back off and use elevator or go down one at a time. I try to do the three flights at work at least once a day (it's my PT). Remember when we all did the accidental step down - it wasn't actually that long ago in the grand scheme of things. Look how far we've come!
 
Oh Gawd, I DO remember that first *accidental* step down. I think it gave me PTSD!

So, today I did as follows: Two sets of down the stairs, sequentially. 15 minutes of "Silly Walking." A 20 minute walk outdoors several hours later. I wish I'd gone to Home Depot or Lowe's for the walk 'cuz it was so humid; ugh!

But, knee-wise? So far, so good.:SUNsmile:
 
@VW54, how tall is your practice box? Perhaps it's just an inch or two too high? Besides, you have many *real* stairs like I do, right? And do they have railings? If so, wouldn't that be better? Unless, of course, they are too high. Bottom line though, as you well know, is "If it hurts, don't do it." I can honestly say it doesn't hurt me at all. It's weird, but zero pain. Tonight, when we go downstairs to watch TV, I'll revert to backwards walking down. Have you tried that?
 
Holy Cannoli! That's quite a bit of activity - now that you can go downstairs you're going to be out of control :happydance:If you start pedaling, there will be no stopping you. I've added Silly Walking to my repertoire -- it's a good stretch.

@VW54 I highly recommend going downstairs backward - using a railing of course. It's a nice lead up to regular downstairs walking. And people will think you're nuts if you do it in public :giggle:
 
Yes, @kmak81230 is spot-on about the backwards stair walking. It really does make a huge difference and it's not in the least bit scary! Funny that, eh? But once again, it seems to be related to getting the brain to tell the knee it's ok to bend. The motion is the same as normal style, but the knee (and or brain) does not rebel; magic! I'm a bit disappointed I've never had an opportunity to do it publicly, lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom