TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

No. More. Pancake. Butt. :rofsign:

Seriously, it's already beginning to...er...perk-up!

Your comments on the brain/nervous system/bod mirror everything PT has said to me from inception! Also, I admit to having a mental block about going DOWN the stairs. And now, that block has come tumbling down! Yep, I'm definitely on a roll!:egypdance:
 
Once again: am so happy for you!
( Happy dance)
Am also envious. I did do the exercises today that are supposed to help my muscles go down steps.
Manage to do single ones but not yet step over step... soon I hope.
I remember being so surprised at self when I got up from low sofa without holding on to anything!.
But usually I overthink the process and then cannot, just as @SusieShoes said in a post above.
 
Yay for skipping downstairs! That must have been a thrill!

But the other thing...are they training you for the Ministry of Silly Walks?
 
Woo hoo!!!! Congrats to you for the kneeversary as well as the steps!! You are definitely on a roll - watch out world, here comes Pheebs52. That is about when I went down the stairs . . . of course. It is still not automatic for me, I feel a good stretch and some days if I'm swollen or tired it doesn't happen but it is getting easier. Enjoy this day of accomplishment.
 
I've got such a mental block about going down the stairs normally, actually I would call it outright panic even thinking about it! They told me at PT that in a couple of weeks they would work on stairs with me and I'm looking forward to overcoming this feeling!
 
I love it when those who are ahead have such momentous moments! :happydance: Who would have thought we would celebrate such victories as going down stairs foot over foot? You had quite an eventful day with your 10 wk mark and your stair accomplishment! It gives all of us something to look forward to!
Congratulations and keep up the good work! :spin:

Side note, my PT has a HUGE wall mirror which I refuse to face when doing the stand up exercises! I told them I KNOW its not a pretty sight and I can do without being reminded! :heehee:
 
Downstairs foot over foot? Wow! Today is my 12 week kneeverarsy and I am waiting to do that sans thinking. I have only managed it a few stairs at a time while totally giving myself " the little engine that could" speech.
I look forward to operating without my mind. No wait!!! That's not quite what I mean lol! Hopefully you understand!
 
@rubyyarn, hmmm, now that you mention it, I think they just might be recruiting me for a Monty Python gig! I'd fit right in, no question. Perhaps I should wear boots to my next visit?

VW54, I'm just about a week ahead of you in the post-op world, so who knows what you'll be doing next week, right? After all your spa training, you just might be going off on a marathon.:happydance:

Kmak81230, well.....of course we managed the down part of stairs at the same point time, lol. Really, is there any other way for us to handle this recovery business? Nah! Twins stick together.:yes!:
 
<---*Operating Without My Mind*, LOL!

@dvannie, I also had the enormous mental block about going down the stairs this way. I've really no idea how I did it yesterday because there were no thought processes going on at all, other than heading out to PT. Typically, as of the last 2-3 weeks, I turn around at the top of the stairs and go down backwards as PT suggested to *prep* me for going down normally. He said doing so would help re-establish the neural *link* between brain and body, reinforcing the idea that the legs can operate this way, but for some reason, it's just easier at first to do it backwards. Perhaps there's really something to that? I just didn't turn around yesterday for some mysterious reason. :SUNsmile: It really was all done on what I guess could be called a subconscious level, almost like sleep-walking. Or perhaps I just didn't have my regular amount of caffeine and so wasn't fully awake? LOL, I just don't know what happened, but I'm so glad it did happen! I will *practice* some today, but not overdo. I don't think I'm physically ready for a full flight just yet.

@Thesoutherncook , right? Isn't it funny how important these recovery victories are to us? Only another TKR could possibly understand, and it's so much fun to share them!:happydance:

Yikes, huge wall mirrors at your PT? Phew, none at my place, lol!

Knit2tog, I thought I heard a loud whoop coming from a southerly direction last night, but with my less than stellar ears, I can't always be certain; Hahahaha!
 
My PT also had a big wall mirror. I do think it encouraged me to try for good form. Watching myself lurch around on stiff new knees... not priceless. Kinda ugly, actually. :dubious:
 
Well I think additional congrats are in order @Pheebs52 - I just noticed you have achieved "Supremo" status with over 2000 posts. Not only is your knee "supremo" this week but you have been a rock star in encouraging the rest of us - giving us helpful suggestions, sharing your progress, and most importantly, making us laugh when we are easily moved to tears during this slog. Keep up the good work!
 
Just catching up Pheebs. Wow!on the stairs! That is fantastic! You are definitely on your way!
 
Pretty darn cool, right Sandi? And guess what? Today I was able to do the full flight down; YES!!! Just once, but that's ok. I don't want to overdo! It feels so odd, lol!
 
Super news about your going-downstairs shenanigans!!! :loveshwr: Nice to know that your automatic pilot still works, eh?

I laughed :loll:when I read about going to the OS and keeping moving while waiting for him/her! I have to add my story to the others. I had already had a couple of visits in which I got the lectures about working hard and the news that I had to have an MUA because my bend wasn't good enough. (MORE lectures in hospital while waiting for that procedure by just about every medical person who entered my cubicle, BTW.) So when my visit after the MUA was approaching, I was almost beside myself for a couple of days, worrying! I knew I hadn't made it to the OS's goal of 110. Nowhere near! We drive an hour and a half to the appointment, and each time in the office, I was very stiff from sitting in the car.

So THIS time, I talked my husband into bringing my mini exer-cycle, a mat so it wouldn't slide around (marble floors, you know!), and a sliding board thingy with us. I made him get up early, and we arrived a little over a half hour before the appointment, which was in this very tall, fancy office building. My doctor is on the 10th floor, but I had my husband set my equipment up in the lobby. (I didn't want my doctor to see my desperate attempt to limber myself up.)

So there I was, pedaling for 20 minutes, and then sliding my foot back and forth for the rest of the time, while a variety of people came and went! It was funny and a little embarrassing to see the sidelong glances some of the office-goers gave me. At one point, a mother and her little girl sat down in the same grouping of chairs I was using. Boy, did that child want to participate! I would have let her try the cycle, but Dave had to take it out to the car. My time was up! I was able to show the doc a bend of about 90, and he was satisfied enough to let me go.
 
that's hilarious @Polkadot. i would practise my walking before my surgeon appointment in the hopes he wouldn't want to check my r.o.m., trying to impress him. well it didn't work ~ he lifted my leg up and flexed my knee back and forth every time to check. lol. i also did heel slides while waiting. ahhh the desperation.:scaredycat:
 
Back
Top Bottom