Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Canada35, I can just picture that, lol. No doubt, my first attempts in the pool will be quite clumsy. When I had my hip replaced, I recall sinking down on that side only....made laps pretty challenging and unattractive; hah! As a result, I spent 2-3 months just doing the deep-water walking with a floaty belt and hanging on to the edge of the pool to practice kicking. Eventually, I got myself back to where I wanted to be, but it did take a long time.
 
Pheebs, I am pretty sure I would never get out of that recliner. Of course bathroom and food runs would have to be made. And I am equally sure that once the chair was vacated, it would get grabbed by another human or house pet. Good for you that you can resist the siren's call can sally forth to walk the Home Depot.
 
You have had a great day, Pheebs! Your PT is a dream. I wish they all could be like that, very reasonable.

Your chair should and looks so comfy. I had one leather chair, which was a disaster. My cats tore it up in a matter of months. At least you don't have to worry about that with your babies.
 
@sistersinhim, no, my two little fur kids are not destructive with furniture, though I have had large dogs in the past who were. We do have to bring them for regular pedicures though, unlike kitties. I prefer leather upholstery with dogs because of shedding; so much easier to clean.

Yes, my PT IS a dream come true. I was so lucky to be referred to him! I would not have lasted with a sadistic type and I do believe I've benefitted greatly from his expertise. Why they can't all be like him is beyond me; pfft!
 
What a great report! You are doing amazing. And what an awesome pt you have. Sounds like he is so encouraging and picks you up when you're down, that's my kind of pt!
Your fur babies are so cute, I'm sure they've been great companions in your recovery.
Love the idea of walking in Home Depot, I need to try that. I live in the country with not any level surface to walk on. I'm amazed you didn't use your cane, I don't think I could do that yet. I'm going to try this out :walking:
 
Well, I don't know about *brilliant* it's just that the terrain and sidewalks/streets here are very challenging for a new knee, so "Flat's where it's at," and basically, that can only be found indoors. It was also very hot here yesterday and I'm just not used to that kind of heat. I doubt I would've lasted 10 minutes outdoors. Home Depot is also good for walking in sub-freezing weather, something we ...*enjoy* a lot of, lol. It's also the closest large store to my house, so that makes it a no-brainer.:heehee:

Mister, just bear in mind, I am a whole month ahead of you in recovery. My PT has declared my gait to be *normal*, so that gave me courage and inspiration. But, I couldn't have walked appliance-free a month ago; no way!
 
Late last night, Princess Pheebs tripped me in a somewhat dark hallway; aarggh! I had just finished icing before bed, and she was lying in the hall playing with one of her toys. At the critical moment, when my TKR foot was in the upswing, she decided it would be great fun to *plant* the toy under my foot. Well, I didn't fall (yay) and it didn't hurt anywhere near as much as it did when Nemo pulled a similar prank about a month ago, but, sheesh, not one of her finer moments. The quad became instantly stiff and is still a bit maladjusted this morning, but thankfully, I have PT this morning and I'm sure they'll take care of it with some massage and stretching. Pets!
 
Arghhhh Pheebs ! Glad it wasn't worse ! My oldest daughter is sure that her siblings are gonna trip me up with the charger cords for their laptops. Hilarious at best to see her snapping pics to document bad behavior.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Beware of kitty toys as well Nensi! Pheebs is a sneaky, little character with many cat-like behaviors; hah!
 
@Pheebs52 I'm so glad you're ok. My cats aren't even scared of the walker or cane, so I have to keep an eye out for them and their toys. Gotta love em though!

It's good to know you wouldn't have been appliance free at my stage. I'll have to use my cane, and don't know how far I can walk, I still feel weak at this point. But some is better than nothing and it will help build up my strength. Good luck at pt.
 
@Mister, Pheebs isn't scared of anything and that makes her dangerous! But, I love her to pieces regardless.:yes!:

I can't quite recall (wonder why?) exactly when I switched from the two crutches to the cane for outdoors, but I *think* it was around week 6. I'd have to look back on my thread for exact information. I became appliance free in-house sooner than that, but walking outdoors really is much more challenging.

Yes, get out there and walk, because *some* is better than *none*! My first outdoor walks were very short, around 10 minutes or so. I also didn't feel psychologically comfortable walking outdoors alone while still needing crutches. Every week brought improved walking and confidence though, and I know it will for you as well.:SUNsmile:
 
Haha Pheebs, honestly, would I sound like a horrible cat person if I said I think that if I had to choose between falling and stepping on the cats tail I would go for the tail? My sure but I have a manic fear of falling.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Pheebs52 well, although my rom is good, it's not as strong as the other knee at this point. By this time, I had quit the walker and went straight to walking, but can't do that with this one. Probably because my other knee is hurting some and still healing. But that's ok, it will come. I'll just get my cane and walk around Lowe's (don't have Home Depot). I don't feel comfortable walking outside by myself either, I get my husband to go with me.
But, each day is getting better. Soon I will be able to do all the great things you can.:dancy:
 
@nensi, Pheebs doesn't really have a tail, it's just a stub, so that option was not available to me; hah! And, sneaky devil that she is, the toy was planted in a lightning fast, covert manner. I never saw it coming, but...I should have. One of her chief demands on a continuous basis is that we step on her toys to crunch up the treats inside, (easier pickings) so....there's a method to her madness and I do have her number. I just should have had more lights on; pffft! Oh well, no permanent damage; phew!

@Mister, having two knees staged like that must create some muscle imbalance issues? I'd think it would making walking properly a bit more challenging. And, this time, you are recovering from three, separate knee procedures, not just one like the first time. So, yeah, it's bound to be different, right? Enjoy your Lowes stroll and let us know how it went!
 
I just returned from PT and am delighted to report, I gained more flexion; whoohoo! Yep, I'm almost at the supposed Holy Grail. Oddly enough, it doesn't feel any different than it did on Wednesday, but...it is. Funny how that works.:happydance:
 
It's neat how ROM can increase and we never even notice it. As long as we can do what we want to do, that ROM is fine!
 
Yes, that's the thing @sistersinhim. This week, it's much easier to list the things I can't do versus the things I can do because the "can't list" is much shorter. Basically, I just cannot walk downstairs foot-over-foot yet, but I didn't expect to, so I'm fine with that. :SUNsmile:
 
@Pheebs52 , that's too funny about Pheebs! Most of the time it's all about the food (for me too) lol.

Yes, I think I have issues because of the 3 procedures so close together, but things are looking up for us all.

So great about your update on pt, that's good news.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom