TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Good to read about your weekend adventures.
My right knee wants more attention too. Uff. (It better stay well for a long time!)
If I were you, I'd ask PT for a short massage on back. Asking won't hurt and you might even get a yes answer!
My home visiting PT has her last day w me tomorrow. Weds is beginning of outpatient rehab.
(I'm going to ask her about this IT band thing. Maybe I have this. My upgraded knee hursts all the time.)
Walking on cobblestones.. oh my! I had not thought about that. Where does one put the sticks so they don't slip and slide? There's another Q for my PT.
 
I'm definitely going to ask @VW54, but I have a feeling the answer will be *no.* In this country, I believe they are bound by whatever RX has brought you to them. I'd need a separate Rx for the back, which, I should ask for tomorrow when I see the OS!

The cobblestones required a lot of attention and slow movement. Definitely not my fave pavement at the moment. Cane smack in the center of each stone....eyes down at all times!

Oh, this will be an exciting week for you, eh? I'd like to go with you to the Spa, lol!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I so miss the leg massages from my PT three years ago that I've decided to get a full massage next week.
At 2 months post op it sounds like a great weekend!
 
Good tip on the cobblestones. That works for brick paving, too, which I have around my house. The bricks were wicked with the walker.

Massages are lovely. That's the one part of PT I miss.
 
This was the first cobblestone walking area I encountered and I won't go back there again anytime soon; hah! I actually did much better on just the dirt part of the trail, tree-roots and all. :SUNsmile:

I would love to book a regular, full massage where I used to go, but am just not sure if I could remain comfy on the massage table for an hour. I suppose the only way of knowing is just to go, right?
 
Can you lay on your belly for a while? You can test that at home. :smile2: And if you need a little pillow under the knees while on your back, I bet they'd do that for you.
 
I haven't had one since before my TKR for a lot of reasons, but laying on my stomach on a hard table put me off until now.
 
I definitely can lay on my belly for quite awhile, but I've only tried it in bed. Great idea on pillows for under the knees Susie; thanks!

I can see that KarriB, but now, it's probably going to be just fine for you!:happydance:
 
My knees--well, my left knee--hurt when straight out like that until recently. I mean like last week recently. Now it doesn't. But for the first 9 weeks, I was adamant about that pillow if I was flat on my back. My PT and I argued about it... he was pushing extension and I was pushing no pain... but I would just grab a towel and make myself comfy.
 
Oh Susie, I'm all for "pushing no pain!" Is Lefty's extension at or around zero? Mine is zero, so I'm sure that's why lying flat on my back doesn't bother me. That said, lying on my stomach for more than 30-45 minutes will make my TKR quad get a bit uncomfortable.
 
Lefty is probably at 0 now. Finally. I say that because, finally, if I stretch my leg across a gap to an ottoman, no pain. If Lefty is flat on a table, no pain. That was NOT the case for the first 9 weeks. So think Lefty is at 0. Last we officially measured, Lefty was either a 1 or 2, depending on who did the measuring.

I can lie on my stomach pretty well, but never timed it. These new knees certainly feel a little "off" sometimes, like when one rests on a hard surface, or even on each other. It's like, "This doesn't feel right!"
 
Glad to hear you functioned well with a "normal" weekend, full of activity. It gives us hope that we will actually get back to our regular lives at some point - with better knees. I agree that the cane is invaluable with different terrains and surfaces. My knee is like Susie's lefty - does not like to lay flat yet and because I have strained some things back there I am not making it do so -- I'm glad to hear that this might get better. While my bending has not improved at all in the past week it "feels" like I am healing more. I think I also have elite status in the "slow straightening" club.
 
Pheebs, that was a full weekend - sounds like you sailed through it with your usual panache. That word fits you ai think, because of your profile pic with the white beret.
 
(I'm going to ask her about this IT band thing. Maybe I have this. My upgraded knee hursts all the time.)
Walking on cobblestones.. oh my! I had not thought about that. Where does one put the sticks so they don't slip and slide?
Here's the article about IT Band problems:
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

As for where to put the cane on cobblestones, I'd be inclined to put it in the gaps between them. The tops of cobblestones are often rounded and I think the cane could slip down off them.
 
Well Smarties, at PT today, 9 weeks post-surgery, I FINALLY crossed the Rubicon into 90 degrees flexion with a prone heel-slide!:wow: That said, it doesn't feel one bit different than it did last Friday at 88 degrees. Still, nice to be able to have it in my official report to the OS tomorrow, eh? In a different position, I got it over 100 degrees, I think about 104.

PT did say I was SLOW getting there, and he is still a bit frustrated by my stubborn quad. He attributes this mule-like muscle to my having walked on it with bad form for 6 months after tearing my mensicus. According to him, the muscle *locked* in this position at the time of injury and is just refusing to let-go. Since I know how I walked at that time, I really can't argue with his theory, just not sure about why it's still holding on so tight; pfft! However, he's convinced it absolutely will relax at some point and gave me some shiny, new stretches to do.
 
Back
Top Bottom