TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Pheebs, seeing how we missed out on the photo-op in the BBB, I'm thinking you could share one of your in turn new fancy-dancy and recliner ? It wouldn't have to be a selfie, DH could help, right ?
Good to have it lined up for knee number 2.
 
Recliners are great, aren't they? We bought a new one before my surgery and I practically lived in the thing when downstairs. I slept a lot the first few weeks, and napped a lot after that, and the recliner was such a good place for me. I hardly use it now, because I prefer to sit on the sofa with an ottoman. Still, that recliner was and is worth every penny. Hope you enjoy yours as much!
 
@liam2015, the brand is Flexsteel and it's a power recliner with a solid footrest, traditional style, Pub back, and some nailhead trim. It's firm but squishy at the same time and that's great for my back. Color me comfy! I'll send a photo later if I can figure it out.:SUNsmile: Feeling less than bright this morning; hah!
 
Well Smarties, today is the end of my "Kneecation," and I'm off to PT at 11:00 this morning. I don't mind since I've had a good break, and who knows, perhaps they'll find some thrilling progression, lol. Ok, that last is pure fantasy, but the concept makes me smile. BBL.:SUNsmile:
 
Good luck and hopefully progression! Let us know how you make out or whether your knee still wants vacay!
 
Hi Smarties! You are talking to a much more relaxed, slowly recovering Kneebie this afternoon; yay! My PT session was interesting, because I expressed my fears with regard to my stubborn flexion, and we had an in-depth conversation that allayed those fears. Basically, he thinks I'm doing just fine for the state I'm in at the 9 week, post-op point. My apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I feel it may just help some other "SLOW BENDERS." For the rest of the day and night, I promise, I'll stick with one-liners.:wink:

He showed me the difference between 85 degrees flexion and 90 and it's about 1/4 inch! Really, it's very small indeed. He assured me that my OS is not one who pushes MUA's unless absolutely, 100% necessary. Apparently, he doesn't do them because he wants to buy a new boat; good to know. However, if, for instance, I was only at 50 degrees flexion at this point in time and was not making ANY forward progress, he would probably suggest it. Or, if I had poor extension, ditto. I basically knew that, but it was great to have it confirmed by a professional I trust who actually knows and respects my surgeon.

He also reiterated all the positives: I walk with a *normal* gait, (rather amazing to me!) tie my shoes, go up stairs foot-over-foot, maintain great balance (a gift methinks, possibly from a lifetime of skiing and boating) have zero extension, and perform pirouettes. Ok, that last isn't quite true, but I like the image.:spin:

When I mentioned that so many here who had surgery at around the same time as me or after *gasp* have so much more flexion, I got the "Don't compare," lecture, but with an insider's knowledge and compassion. Of course, I try not to, and really do see the futility of doing so, but...well...you know, it can be a bit discouraging or frustrating at times to feel like the only "kid in the class not grasping Algebra," lol. I mean, I'm surrounded here by so many SuperStars! And I enjoy the stories of great progress, I honestly do, but....I would like to taste a bit of that myself now.:SUNsmile: *Now* is the operative word here.:whistle:

Bottom line? He insisted I will reach my very basic goals of swimming, riding a bike, walking down the stairs without sticking my bum out in an ungainly fashion, sustaining a walk for an hour without developing "jello-leg," and not falling asleep in stores when DH goes missing. When, is of course the variable, but he doesn't feel it will take a year. He did tell me to think more in terms of 6 months and said this is a very reasonable time frame for what I want to achieve. He also felt I'd probably end up with between 110-120 degrees flexion in 12 months. I showed him how far my other leg goes (very, very far, I think he said 140? Heel touches bum without difficulty) and he told me to just *fuggedaboutit,* hahaha! Ok, I guess can accept that.

In other breaking news, (literally) I have two stitches that have popped through. I knew that blasted scar was irritated, but just thought it was simply that. He said to cover with a band-aid and they should just work themselves out. Thankfully, there's no redness or swelling.

Last, but certainly not least, he asked me to lie down flat, grab my leg behind the knee and bring it towards my face slowly as far as I could go comfortably, with no forcing. He measured it and it was *ahem* 96 degrees! Naturally, the :censored:prone heel -slide is still stuck at 85, but....I just don't care after our chat and neither did he. :egypdance:
 
P.S.: For Nensi, lol!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
    IMG_0342[630] new chair.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 170
wonderful follow-up appointment and report. i think you are coming around to grasping the algebra.:thumb:

p.s. just saw the photo of your new recliner and the adorable pheebs! both beautiful. i haven't got anything for hubby's 65th birthday yet, which was july 11th and would love to get him a comfy chair.
 
Great report and what a good looking chair! I hope phoebe will let you sit in it once in a while! Your marvelous sense of humor and positive outlook in the face of any and all adversity is such a tonic to all of us!
 
Woohoo for the new recliner! I decided to give my daughter our two lazy boy recliners that we never used for her new apartment. After I had my knee replacement and discovered how one of those recliners was my haven I only gave her one and told her she could have the other one when I was done with it. Maybe some day :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Aaaww, what a sweet thing to say @keefsmom; thanks!

The dog in the chair is Nemo, not Pheebs, lol. Pheebs is my very camera shy, Silky Terrier Princess. Nemo really likes his comfort, as can be seen. He did *allow* me to sit with him this afternoon.:SUNsmile:

@liam2015, I'm laughing 'cuz I haven't gotten anything yet for my hubby's 65th which was back in June However, he already has a chair that he loves. I think that would make a great gift for your hubby! `
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
    IMG_0357[633] Pheebs.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 143
That is a great report Pheebs!!! Good progress and much optimism on the part of your PT. Your 0 extension is quite excellent and sounds like the flexion is progressing as well. I hope you are feeling better about everything. Nice pics - the new recliner looks mighty comfy.
 
I'm jealous of your chair! I am using an old uncomfortable hand me down lazy boy (rarely, as its upstairs) and a crappy, freebie lazy boy downstairs. I really want my own, supr comfy "Archie chair" that I picked out myself and bought new. Some day...
 
Sweet lucky doggies!
Your PT is a dream. That he showed you how important it was not to compare.
( Ha!, look who's writing!)
I just tried to do what he suggested w holding up leg behind the knee to see the better bend. My other leg started to cramp. ("Golly geez"-I am so unfit.)
That armchair looks sooooo comfy. Careful, don't overuse it or you'll get as unfit as I am.
BTW, has this PT ever witnessed a TKR operation?
 
@Jennszoo, well, you should've seen the other chair I used for recovery, lol. It's probably 20 years old, no power button, and has a warped, lopsided seat, but DH thinks it's *fine.* In fact, he loves it. Men; hah!

@VW54, it IS tempting to just stay in this chair, hahaha! I think one could live in it and Nemo agrees. But...THE KNEE wants to walk, ya know? Pesky thing....

I don't know if PT has ever witnessed a TKR surgery, but I can inquire.

@kmak, thanks, it really was an uplifting report and day!

Today's going to be a *steamer*, (0+ degrees, so I'm going to drive to Home Depot (where I won't be tempted to buy anything) and walk all the aisles for exercise. That should take me quite awhile since it's BIG and I am slow. I figure it's good for 45 minutes to an hour.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom