TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

that's great Pheebs you gained more r.o.m. just wondering what the "supposed" holy grail number is? i know what you mean about not feeling any different from last physio session...same here. have a great weekend.
 
Good news indeed!☆☆
I remember being so surprised at self when I " reached back " w upgraded knee to pull chair closer to the table. Didn't quite make it, but almost! Was instinct to do this and the knee seemed ready to act on it.

BTW what is the holy grail of ROM in your case?
 
Thanks @Mister, and you're right, things ARE looking up for both of us!

Well, in my case, probably because I haven't seen the surgeon since the 4 week point, he *hoped* I would be at 100 degrees flexion by 9 weeks. That's not going to be the case unless some sort of Gumby miracle takes place in the next few days. Kinda unlikely, right? Yeah. However, I am now at 88 degrees with no pushing, all under my own steam (granted a bit painful/difficult/uncomfortable) which, is a vast improvement over the 40 degrees I was when I started PT. I have a PT visit on Monday and then see the surgeon on Tuesday. On my last visit, he also stated that in his opinion, poor extension is much more of an initial concern than poor flexion, because it can be much more difficult to obtain and has a profound affect on function. In my case, that baby is ZERO; phew! So, it will be interesting to see if he feels I am progressing well or if he wants to intervene with an MUA. I have an open mind about MUA if he feels it's appropriate. I wouldn't rush into it, but I won't dismiss it as a possibility either. I think he'll be pleased with how I am functioning, especially when he sees me cane-free and walking with a normal gait. But, we shall see, eh?
 
So, his "Holy Grail," number is 90 degrees at 6 weeks, 100 degrees at 9 weeks, but....I think he's flexible, lol. He's had a TKR and that alone must make a big difference in his perspective. :SUNsmile:
 
One more comment on his perspective: Last visit, he said that 100 degrees is the top of the mountain in terms of struggle. Once that is achieved, the rest will come much more easily and gradually, over the course of 2 years. Yep, 2 years according to him. He did say if I only ever reached 110 degrees, I should be pleased with that because I would be able to do anything my little heart desires at that range. After that, according to him, the rest is *gravy.*
 
Today, I am prepping the house a bit for weekend company. My brother, his wife and family (2 kids and a dog) are coming down from VT, so I probably won't have much time online this weekend. It'll be great fun to have them all here and Mistah is out shopping for BBQ provisions right now. If I don't return until Sunday night, I hope you all have a great weekend with knees that behave.:egypdance:
 
Pheebs, that seems to be the going number for most surgeons, at least what i've read on here. i'm sure he is flexible as you will be when you accomplish your full r.o.m. lol! just saw your post about hosting a barbecue tomorrow. enjoy your company and i hope the kids will behave:angel: ~ i'm sure the dog will...hehe!:puppysmooze: have a great weekend and try not to overdo it.
 
Pheebs, have a great weekend! Your knee sounds like it is doing quite well :smile2:
 
@rubyyarn, it functions quite well, it's just not quite up to snuff on the numbers! I honestly don't care what the numbers are as long as I know I will ultimately be able to walk down stairs, foot-over-foot, and ride a bike. PT has assured me these activities will come. I would also like to be able to drive for more than 30 minutes without developing a muscle spasm in my thigh; pffft! Other than that, I really can't complain.:SUNsmile:
 
@Pheebs52 - I just got caught up in your thread! Falling asleep at BBB made me smile. How kind that everyone let you have a little nap!

Your progress has been great and it sounds like you had a great vacation from all thing knee!

Your new chair is great. We bought a new couch and recliner before surgery. Our old couch was falling apart and you sunk into it. Our son loved it and just took it for his new house.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Enjoy the weekend with your family - it's fun to do "normal" stuff for a change. I've stopped thinking about flexion as I know it will eventually come. I'm hoping to work more on extension over the next weeks but have to baby it as it becomes strained easily.
 
just wondering what the "supposed" holy grail number is? i

BTW what is the holy grail of ROM in your case?

So, his "Holy Grail," number is 90 degrees at 6 weeks, 100 degrees at 9 weeks, but....I think he's flexible, lol.

One more comment on his perspective: Last visit, he said that 100 degrees is the top of the mountain in terms of struggle. Once that is achieved, the rest will come much more easily and gradually, over the course of 2 years. Yep, 2 years according to him. He did say if I only ever reached 110 degrees, I should be pleased with that because I would be able to do anything my little heart desires at that range. After that, according to him, the rest is *gravy.*
There really is no "holy grail" of ROM numbers. Most surgeons are happy once your ROM has passed 90 degrees, and I like Pheebs' surgeon's attitude.

But really, numbers are less important than function. What you can do with your knee is what really counts.

As long as you're making progress, no matter how slowly, you are doing OK.

If your knee should end up bending a bit less than you would like, but you've lost that awful pre-op pain, then I think that's a win.
 
Good morning Smarties! It's chilly and rainy here, every bone in my body is aching, but....we had a really fun weekend with family and the three canines.:happydance: I don't feel as if I overdid anything, but I was probably on my feet more than I have been and you all know how that goes. Mistah and my brother did all the cooking, my SIL did all the clean-up, but perhaps I served drinks and spent a lot of time playing with the dogs who were hilarious together. It did seem like I was constantly popping up and out of my chair, so I must've been doing something, right? We took some decent, outdoor walks on both days despite the heat on Saturday and I did walk an outdoor trail that was a bit hilly and bumpy, with gravel, cobblestones and dirt. However, I had my trusty cane and that made all the difference; phew! Sunday was much cooler, and we chose a flat, ocean front, paved trail and my knee(s) were much happier. Yes, knees plural; aargg. My right has felt almost similar to my LTKR all weekend....uh-oh.

Today, it's back to PT for one more session before I see the OS tomorrow. Hopefully, they'll make everything feel a bit less achy with some good massage, although I wish I could convince them to do a back massage; hah! I guess they'd need a special Rx for that though; pffft! I think I'll ask though, lol. :SUNsmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom