Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I am wicked excited for you too @Pheebs52. Glad you were at PT this morning, I was beginning to be concerned. The forum isn't the same without you!
 
Thanks Kmak81230! Now that you mention it, I wouldn't put it past my dog, lol. Hope your nap was a success!
 
Ouch! So sorry about the fall. Glad PT was helpful with the massage and stretches. I am curious about the hypnosis YouTube videos you and @becticu have mentioned. That sounds interesting. :happydance: for 0 extension!!!
 
@knit2tog, checkout Becky's recovery thread for the correct information on uTube hypnosis. I had my own, erroneous interpretation of what she was saying; daft of me.
 
glad you had such a good physio session this morning ~ ahhhh that massage sounds heavenly. fantastic quad awakening and wicked good extension.:yay:
 
I am glad you had a good PT session today! Yay!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @liam2015! Your photo is just lovely and your hair is such a beautiful color!

As for the quad, only a small portion of it awakened, but that's certainly progress, eh? It definitely allowed me a little more flexion, and he measured, but I told him not to tell me the flexion number if it wasn't at 100 degrees; hah! The massage was just fabulous and just what the newly injured area needed. I still can't believe he spent so much time with me today.:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks Mechellec! My PT is generally very quiet and low-key so it was rather amusing to have him let out a big *whoop*!:heehee:
 
that's sweet of you to say ~ i've been wanting to let it go for many years and finally did. weren't you curious to know what your r.o.m. was today? what restraint! i will have a new physiotherapist tomorrow since melissa has gone on vacation for 10 days ~ hope i'll get a good massage and the other treatments. anxiety is gearing up over next surgeon appointment on tuesday...sigh! :unsure:
 
Oh, not really sweet @liam2015, just true! I wish my hair was that color, but alas, such is not the case; pffft! Mine is an awful mixture of blonde and very dull grays.

No, I was not curious about the flexion, just the extension. As I said, if flexion is less than 100 degrees don't tell me the number; hah! My OS would *like* to see that number by July 25th, but....I think he'll accept reasonable progress without resorting to threats of MUA. He's a very kind, compassionate and experienced doc who has seen too many knees to count in all his years of practice. At any rate, no, I don't want to know anything until it hits that happy number. Right now, it's certainly nowhere near that goal. Judging by my daily *Throne-Slides* and the ability to smush my heel right up against the bed frame when dangling my leg, I *think* it's probably in the low 80's. Lying on my back, it's a much less cheerful number; bah!

Oh nooo, please don't get yourself all cranked up this weekend about your impending OS visit! Think of it this way; anything could happen between now and then; anything! A tsunami could hit or an asteroid! Why ruin your present worrying about an unknown possibility that's not even a reality yet? It's all totally out of your hands. You can't control it and neither can he. He also can't control you! Seriously, what's he going to do if he doesn't like your number, ....stand you in the corner and make you recite, "My knee will bend on command?" Sure he can utter the MUA threat and you can just say *no.*
 
i'm sure you will have that magic number by july 25th. do you have to see surgeon on weekly basis? mine wants to see me every week until i reach 100 degrees, hence, the anxiety just before and it's our canada day (150) long weekend, butterflies already started. he said something strange at last appt. which i should have questioned him on. he said he hasn't noticed much difference in my r.o.m. in office visits. i do tell him what the physiotherapist measures and he did agree that i could continue to gain. funny enough i'm not seeing it either but it must be improving as i'm able to do things i couldn't do before, but my bend still doesn't seem very good with certain exercises, especially that one where you lie on your tummy and bend your knee back; actually that's what physio does ~ the exercise i do at home is standing and bending my knee backwards ~ brutal! wish i wouldn't worry. glad to have you fellow bonesmarties to lean on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen my surgeon since my 3 week check-up and he didn't want to see me again until 7/25. I've no idea what he'll suggest at that point if things aren't especially bendy, but I'm getting the impression he won't push the idea of MUA. At PT today, he said he feels my progress is good for 5 weeks, despite not being Gumby. He also said something about "It's not all about how much you can bend, but more about how your muscles are or aren't working, and how they move. He didn't seem to think an MUA would be on the horizon and he's certainly seen plenty of patients that did need them, who, according to him, had different issues than mine making that necessary. At any rate, detailed notes will be sent to my OS before that visit.

Like you, I have become much more functional, have a better gait, can do more than I could in earlier weeks, so my functionality has increased, no matter what the numbers are. Yours has as well.:SUNsmile:

That tummy backward leg kick is very difficult! Perhaps hubby could help you with it? If not, you could try tying a leg-lifter or dog leash around your ankle just to give it a little more range. Hold it in that position as long as you can, up to 30 seconds. I like it only because it stretches my quad more than anything else I've tried and it doesn't hurt.

Did your Lounge Doctor arrive yet? I hope so!

Just try to put this upcoming visit out of your mind and do something fun to celebrate Canada Day! Do you have anything planned?
 
still waiting for my lounge doctor, not due until earliest july 7th. i'm counting on it to help with the swelling that never seems to change, whether i'm sedentary or not, elevating/icing or not. that's great you can be relaxed about your progress and not have to worry about impressing your surgeon. thanks for the tip on that stretch ~ i'll try it.
 
@liam2015, sheesh, what a long wait for your Lounge Doctor!

As for my surgeon, if I'm not close to his "happy" number of 100 at that visit, I really don't know what he'll suggest. He may discuss the MUA, and if he does, I'll listen, then take home the information and process it. What he did say when I inquired at the 3 week point, was this: "It's much too early for you to be worrying about this....why are you even thinking about it? Many people have poor flexion initially. If at the 8-12 week point you're still not making progress with flexion we can discuss it as an option, but...I don't think you'll need it. Time typically takes care of everything. Besides, MUA doesn't always work, it's just a 50/50 chance. In my experience, it'll either work very well or not at all, and we know immediately. Just put it out of your mind for now."

Let me add just one more piece of perspective here, ok? Both you and I are "Pink Ribbon," people. We survived.:SUNsmile: In comparison, a non-bendy leg, even if an MUA is needed, is just a pimple on the path of life, right? We won't die from it. That's the primary reason I feel relaxed about the whole thing. I guess I measure everything against that experience!
 
Re check ups: my OS only expected to see me at 6 weeks post op. I have an appointment now for 6 and a half weeks post op which is also one and a half weeks short of when I start out patient rehab at a spa.CConsidered standard procedure in this country.
He told me via email not to try more than 90 until stitches came out, and at bedside visit in hospital he believed I wouldn't get more than 120 because of my fat thighs. :heehee:
Well ok he didn't *really* say that, I did, and he agreed. But he did say he got to 125 before closing me up. He said most patients get to 100 or 110 by week 6 which is important for standing up and later for climbing down steps.
At this rate I might not be one of the "most" though Physiotherapist said I was almost at 100 last week. I dunno.:scratch:
 
VW54, almost at 100 sounds great to me! For what it's worth, perhaps nothing, I have skinny legs, but...it isn't helping at all; hah! I was also extremely flexible prior to surgery and prior to injury. I could kick myself in the bum, but....that doesn't seem to matter either.
 
@Pheebs52 ~ you are so right about the futility of worrying; even if i didn't get the best bend, it isn't the end of the world. (btw, i'm a teal ribbon). i had some great news in my email this morning: my lounge doctor has passed customs and is on the way! i'm not sure exactly where it is because i can't log into eBay, but it must be within a couple hours. thanks for calming me down.:flwrysmile:
 
Yay for the impending arrival of the Lounge Doctor! May you have a long and happy relationship!:heehee:

I also have a teal ribbon, but unfortunately, I have accumulated several other colors over the years....a veritable rainbow; pffft! But....I'm still here.:yes!:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom