Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Hooray for progress on gait--but the ministry of silly walks will miss you!
Lulu the hound plops anywhere she likes, DH and I are bad disciplinarians whether it's kids or animals (the cat just dismounted from the kitchen table where we were eating). In our house you have to try very hard not to ingest or wear animal hair. Keeps the visitors away!
I agree with using the cane as a line of first defense against cars and to encourage civility. The one time I forgot it I was walking--albeit slowly--on a narrow sidewalk and heard a pronounced harrumph from a guy in back of me who nearly ran me over once there was a slight opening. Ah, city living!
 
Thanks @VW54! It did just happen organically, so it was very surprising! I really don't know how it happened, so that was fun! Now, the more I walk the easier it's becoming until my leg gets tired.

I asked my PT about doing exaggerated steps and she said "Don't." Isn't it peculiar how we get so many different messages from the pros?
 
Hah, I am such a fan of John Cleese @keefsmom! Fawlty Towers is one of my all time favorite shows.:snork: I think I'm safe for awhile with the Ministry of Silly Walks, because it does get fatigued and then I revert to semi, peg-legging.

We also live in a house of fur and the animals rule. I wouldn't have it any other way and I'm sure you wouldn't either. We don't have children, so all our kids have been fur....saved us a few $$$ on college tuition.:SUNsmile: Lulu and Pheebs have a lot in common, Empresses of their hairy Universes.

The cane absolutely promotes civility; nothing like a good whack from one if needed and then there's always the *trip option*, lol. If parked on the street (often) once I open the driver's side door, I stick the cane out and wave it around a bit as a warning to the rabid, irrational, Boston drivers. So far, so good.....
 
Just caught up reading your recovery chain. So this is where the party was at! I could have been here discussing shoes and joining in to that virtual dance party!

Congrats on your smooth recovery - it sounds like you're doing really well.

I've been reading with interest about the lounge doctor and was thinking I'll get one before I do my right knee since I'm so far along my recovery path I don't need one right now. Jeez, I'm at 3 weeks! I'm beginning to think some brains leaked out of my head during surgery. I just put in an order. Thanks all.
 
Did you PT tell you why no exaggerated steps? That's how I improved my extension. Of course, I was always hanging on to the walker when I did them. Don't try them without doing that. It's too easy to lose your balance.
 
good for you...great feeling to walk unassisted. i'm finding it's a different ballgame walking on grass ~ have to be a little more cautious.
 
Thanks everyone for all the support and laughs! It does feel so good to walk appliance free....until it doesn't, hahahaha! No, just kidding, it just gets tired after about a grand total of 30-40 minutes of scattered walking. That's my clue to sit.:snork:

@sistersinhim, re: the exaggerated walking, the PT said something like he didn't want me to form any *bad* walking habits, just the correct ones. He's all about forming the *correct neural pathways.* I must say, while doing some walking this morning, it felt as though my foot, leg and knee were in fact, performing a whole new, foreign activity, as if I'd never done it before. It must be how a toddler feels when they first begin to walk.:SUNsmile:
 
@janbgobh, it's never too late to join the shoe party! Please, list your recovery favorites!
 
I feel I must explain why my physio gal told me to exaggerate the steps: It was because I kept reverting to stiff knee walking (which I had done for 6 months pre-op) when walking freely. She wanted me to think about how I could bend the knee already.
Problem remains the already infamous clonkity sensation which I abhor.
Consulted w DH on this. He said I should write OS about it. I hesitate. I expect him to say as he did 3 weeks ago: "it'll go away." Otherwise he'll ask me to come in.(a major effort because it's smack downtown and costly) to tell me the same thing. If it drives me bonkers next few days, I will relent even if check up appt is due on the 17th.
 
@VW54, is your abhorrence because you fear the implant might be loose? Did your OS x-ray on your first post-op visit and assure you everything looked ok? I haven't felt mine *clunk* too much, just occasionally, but merely found it odd. I'm sure I'll get used to it and just ignore it or it will ease up in time as my soft tissues heal. Perhaps some more experienced Smarties can weigh in here?
 
Thanks Celle! VW54, this should make you feel better, eh?
 
Dear Celle,
I had read that already on the first week. Silly me kept thinking: it'll go away fast. A month post op it is still there and annoys me that I FEEL the knee clonking with every lift and shift. It feels like top part disconnects from lower only to clonk together when I put my foot down. I feel it clonk when I stand up and sit down. I'm constantly reminded and I think that's the part that keeps me from healing properly.
Logically, as written in the article, it can take months. Ugh. What can I say: it affects my innermost being.
Perhaps I'll get used to it. Or have to get used to it.
Right now I hate it. I hate it even more than the tight feeling or the numb patch or the stuffed sausage sensation. Sigh.
 
Hi Pheebs,
I first felt the clonk ( and it was accompanied by a very loud sound) while in hospital on day 3 post op as I lifted my leg to put it on the bed.
My knee hurt terribly and went numb under the knee. The lower leg kept going numb. I told this to doctor on rounds the next morning, day 4, and he ordered an Xray right away.
All clear. Everything was in place.
On day of release, 2 days later, next Xray. Same result all clear. So I will assume it's really just me.
Impatient me.
Physiotherapist said she had another patient some months ago with same complaint. So this other lady still had it at 4 months post op.
If that's how it is, I guess I'll have to lrarn to live with this...but I still might hate it.
 
Do other people hear the clunk? My roommate to hear mine if she puts her ear close to my knee. There is no pain at all. I can't comment on yours, not having heard it.
 
VW54, the best advice I can offer is to focus your attention elsewhere. Truly, see if you can focus on your....feet when you stand, or the view out your window, or, or....anything but the knee clunk. :SUNsmile:

Let's face it, nothing about this recovery is as quick as anyone would like, but at least what you're feeling is perfectly*normal.* Bottom line: It really could be a heck of a lot worse. For instance, it's not cancer and you won't die from it; just sayin'.
 
Woo hoo! Congratulations on being appliance free! A huge and freeing step. Bring on the next milestone :yes!:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom