TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Yes, please whine. @Pheebs52 look at my thread do I don't just repeat it all. BUT my toddler knee had a glair up at PT today. I thought I was past the sunburnt, scar sensitivity stuff. It's back big time. When I bend that knee it feels like the scar will pop right open. So there is my whine! But read my thread to see my rejoicing as well!!!
 
Well @JennyLynne and @Pheebs52 it is not exactly something I would recommend and probably the Smartie advisors would frown on it. I am fortunate in that my right leg, while arthritic, is quite functional so I just stick the new one out and bend down to sit, then maneuver myself on the mat so that I can stick my legs up in the air against a wall. The first time I tried it I was home alone and then realized I hadn't thought about getting up :scratch: I manage to maneuver over to the couch and pull myself up, with heavy reliance on my good leg. Now I am quite proficient at rolling onto my stomach and pushing up with good knee and hands, sort of like a bridge. Who needs yoga! I have also done the accidental down step @Pheebs52 - OUCH! Keep resting so you can get back to a 4 star day!!! :alarm:
 
For photos, I mail them to myself. I choose Medium instead of Actual Size or Large, because otherwise the file is ginormous. Medium comes in nicely on BS. Then I add the photos to my computer photo library and can choose them from there. There may be a better way, but this one works for me.
 
i'm also impressed with @kmak81230 laying on yoga mat on floor with legs elevated...wowza! i think she must have to do the "downward dog" to get up again. somewhere i saw a photo where someone recommended laying on floor with legs elevated on a wall to reduce inflammation! (we used to do that in yoga). i can hardly wait for my "lounge doctor"...why can't they sell them in Canada??

@Pheebs52 ~ dang those dogs :puppysmooze: ~ what we do for them!! (and they do so much for us.) i'm glad you're okay; shows that your balance is good you could avoid falling right down. i'm not sure what Luddite means, but i must be one too because i don't know how to download a photo from my laptop, even after reading directions. rest up that leg that saved you from a fall and enjoy physio tomorrow, especially the massage.
 
Yes - downward dog @liam2015 :dogsniff: -- I had avoided stretching and yoga like the plague prior to surgery - always been tight and stretching was painful and now my soft tissues have their revenge by resisting the "stretch" when I need it most.
 
SusieShoes, thanks so much for the photo directions! I shall attempt some tomorrow.:thumb:

kmak81230, pictures or it isn't real, lol! I probably won't be attempting that.....for a very long time. Apparently, there's just nothing on the floor I want.:SUNsmile:

Oh, Liam2015, I'm thrilled to not be the only non-technological (Luddite) person here! I may have been the last person in New England to get a smart phone. Mostly, I just actually..er...speak on it. I really can't blame the dog for last night. I blame my husband instead for showing him the frightening ear-wash bottle and scaring the devil out of him. He really hates having his ears cleaned, poor little fur-man. When I clean them, it's a covert operation!

Becky, heading over to your thread!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
 
wowza @kmak81230 ~ you are doing a very presentable downward dog. won't be long before you'll sign up for some yoga classes. good for you. that's how i get up off the floor too, but not nearly as elegant as you!
 
@Pheebs52 - I am getting caught up after being off-line for a couple of days. I am sorry that your pup got in your way. Those darn dogs! We love them, but they can certainly get under foot! My husband has to hold our little pup when I walk down the stairs. Most days she will listen to stay, but there are days when she wants to run down the stairs as I am trying to maneuver down them.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am noticing from my photo that, in addition to my rather large derriere :heehee:, my leg appears to be rather swollen. Time to call it a day and go home and ice and elevate I think.
 
@kamak81230, wow, what a good sport you are! And that Downward Dog's not too shabby either; hah! Seriously, that's impressive!:wowspring:
 
@kmak81230, I'm pretty amazed as well! Maybe I should put yoga on my bucket list! I hope you got to ice some.

@Pheebs52, we had another evening of Bloodline. It keeps getting crazier. I hope you are having an better time resting tonight than me. That toddler knee is screaming at me and the lower back is grumbling again. It's gonna be a Utube hypnosis for pain relief night. I can't believe how well it works for me!
 
Pheebs the scar sensitivity may be nothing to do with your wee accident, I find that it comes and goes along with the zingers. I'm 5 months out now and every now and again my scar gets really itchy, could've scratched it off my knee the other day, was so bad I slapped an ice pack on to it for a while! My scar was super sensitive till about the 14 week mark, not sure if it was coincidental but after I shaved my legs for first time since op the sensitivity was a lot less (think the hair was rubbing on trouser material and annoying the scar)! Only this morning I realised that the numb patch on outside area of knee (which I assumed would be permanent) isn't nearly as numb as it was, don't think it'll ever be 100% again but I'll take it as it is now:tada:
 
When I first ever got down on the floor, I used a couch behind me and did like a tricep dip to get me down and up again. :) It works. Of course, I was using my natural arthritic knee as well. I recently rolled kinda over and got up with it but was careful as he isn't 100% trustworthy. My bionic knee is getting stronger everyday though. Hope your muscles can get a little massage. However, that hamstring (especially behind the knee) stays sore for quite awhile, at least mine did (does).
 
@IowaNana, both my dogs are *seniors* so no longer run down the stairs without reason thank goodness! These days, when we come home from anywhere, they just stand at the top of the stairs and wag their tails....much safer for all.:SUNsmile:
 
@SusieShoes ~ thanks for the instructions. i have my photos on iPhoto library, but what icon do you click on, on the bonesmart page to post a photo?:scratch:
 
Becky, YouTube hypnosis works well for me too! Sorry you had another night of poor sleep though; pffft! I really wish your back would ease up; arrghh! My back was actually what drove me toward using 2 crutches instead of the walker. That hunched over walker posture is disastrous for the lumbar spine. My zzz's were just "ok" last night, mostly due to the scar sensitivity and some zingers. But, I'm sure there's a nap on my agenda this afternoon and hope you've penciled one in as well! If not, what time slot would you like? I see an opening around 3, so could book it for you.:egypdance:

Lilli, how interesting to hear that finally shaving is what reduced your scar sensitivity issues. I'm not yet at the stage where I can do that on the incision, still have a few small scabs; pffft! However, I also don't have much hair there and basically can't see the ones I do have, lol. It's all gone silver and sparse thanks to Father Time. :yes!:That's great news on your numb patch becoming more alive! Even better that it was a surprise.:happydance:

Jaschembra, I'm not yet tempted to get on the floor for any reason, but if and when that day comes, I'll remember your instructions! My arms are pretty strong so I *think* I could manage the tricep dip if need be. Maybe.:wink:
 
@liam2015, I just click the Upload a File button that's next to the Post Reply button. The photo appears at the bottom of the post as a thumbnail that people can click on for a larger image. There's a post somewhere in the How to Use This Forum area that gives instructions for photos also. I'm kind of tech-slow, so I just keep doing this one. :whistle:
 
I had a 90 minute PT session this morning due to my little dog incident the other day. All of the extra time was devoted to massage and some gentle stretching. I feel so much better, but once again, that energy drain has kicked into high gear.

Now, are you sitting down? Yes, right? *Ahem* Extension today: Zero! Even better news: My sleepy, lazy, brick- like, slug of a quad suddenly decided to allow a portion of itself to come alive today! The therapist actually let out a *Whoop*! It occurred while doing some leg extensions, and for a brief moment I actually thought there was a small animal under there because it was such a foreign feeling, lol. In Boston, we use a grammatically poor phrase to describe this sort of thing as follows: I'm WICKED excited! I really am. The bar is low, eh?:yes!:
 
Well done Pheebs' quad!!!!! And that extension is to die for :loveshwr: maybe the dog planned it for you. I am going to check out YouTube hypnosis as I have not slept well for a few nights! Happy napping all! I took the day off today to join u in a nap:sleep:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom