TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I've had a fairly good day today pain-wise about a one. Still, i have to rate the day with just 3 stars rather than 4 as the last few have been. I'd say my new *extras* of some driving, a smidgen of shopping and just being up more, created some heavy blowback in the energy department today. I got a solid 7 hours of sleep again last night, yet, fell into a coma on the sofa at about 11:00 this morning when I was supposed to be in the shower, lol. I stayed in this suspended animation until 1:30 P.M.! That's what I call a serious nap! For the rest of the day, despite all these quality zzz's, my energy was just less than zero. I was wearing lead limbs, zombie style. As such, I did what I do best....stayed on the sofa with a good book. :wink:
 
Becky, which nerve track in your back prevented your quad from firing? I have several bulging disks and OA in the lumbar spine and have had quite a few epidurals over the years in an attempt to manage pain and discomfort, so I'm very curious!
 
hey Pheebs, you probably needed that extra sleep. i envy you being able to read a book ~ for some reason i haven't been able to get back to reading, not even the newspaper. glad you're pain level was down. hope tomorrow is a 4 or 5 star day for you.:puppysmooze:
 
Thanks @liam2015! I think a 5 star day is in the distant future, something to dream about for now.:-) How are you doing today?

It seems a lot of people here have difficulty with reading post-tkr. I had difficulty watching TV; it made me sort of woozy until last week, but seems to have eased up now.
 
i think i'm watching too much t.v. and being on my laptop; this even before surgery...sigh! i love going on vacation where i can relax more and read without worrying about schedules. i think i'm doing great in a lot of areas but my bend is very slow to improve, but it is improving gradually. my surgeon says my extension is fine but he's never impressed with my bend lol. i'm so glad i found this site; otherwise, i probably would have gone along with his threat of m.u.a., which i knew nothing about until i read about it here. i might not have had the confidence to take the risk of a slowly moving r.o.m.
 
Well, it IS improving @liam2015, so there's that, eh? And you are functioning fairly well, right? Driving, shopping, walking and so forth? I have not been walking enough, but that's primarily due to the topography of my neighborhood; hilly! Now that I can drive again, I intend to drive to some local parks and shops and start building walks into each day. Nothing monumental though, just 15 minutes until further notice.:SUNsmile: I've noticed a bit of muscle atrophy in my left calf and have been doing toe raises for those, but I find walking much more enjoyable and I'm sure that will help as well. Like you, I think I'd be despondent without Bonesmart!
 
Maybe we should have T-shirts? My brother recently sent me a Gumby doll, lol! I'm not sure if you are old enough to remember Gumby @kmak81230? If not, he's a little rubber man that actually had a TV show in the late 50's, early 60's. He could bend into ANY position, unlike us! I have him on my mantle now doing an extreme heel-slide, lol!
 
so funny you mentioned "gumby". that's the first thing i thought of when someone mentioned a "bendy knee" lol. i sure wish i was like "gumby"...hehe.
 
Remember it's only just over a month since your surgery, @Pheebs52 .
It's all to easy to overdo things, so keep checking with this article, to make sure you're keeping your activity on track: Activity progression for TKRs
You're supposed to still need naps after activity.
 
Celle, my dust bunnies are growing, my plants are not, my husband is still being run ragged, and well...I don't think anyone could be much lazier.:heehee: My PT driving trip (just 2x a week) is only 10 minutes, my weekend shopping trip (if it could even be called that) was about 15 minutes, and my home exercises are very few, all Bonesmart approved. Some days, like today, I skip the home exercises completely, *gasp*! Yep, when my body has zero energy, I listen. I'm not even bored yet, so I'm really a model patient!:flwrysmile:
 
Aaah, liam2015, you are familiar with Gumby, lol. Yes, we could learn a lot from that little rubber guy, eh?
 
Sorry @Pheebs52, I had a TV date with the hubby. We are watching the series Bloodline on Netflix. It helps to pass some hours.

To answer your earlier question my herniation is L3,4,5, and S1. Like you I have had numerous epidurals for a number of years to help with the pain. Mine is a nerve root problem where the nerves are compressed coming out of the side of the spine, to put it simply. With my left knee about 4 weeks into recovery I was doing great. No walker or cane and climbing stairs correctly with no issue. One day I was walking into the family room and the knee just went down. Actually it was the quad that quit working. They did tests to determine that and then my neuro doc did the epidural. It helped a lot and held the back till after this surgery. I don't think it is causing the issue with my flexion with this knee tho. I still have swelling and quad never fully kicked in strong yet.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! No, I had no wine with my TV watching :loll:.
 
Hahaha I love that you have Gumby doing a heel slide. Wish we could all bend like Gumby! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a Gumby. Maybe I can talk him into going to PT for me tomorrow. :heehee: I guess it is better I go. He can't see over the dashboard to drive over there. Oh to be that flexible...
 
It was more a sensation of clicking rather than hearing a click Pheebs so you're not going to get off that easily, lol. Seriously though it's great that you're making progress with everything and now that you're sleeping better that will help a lot, onwards and upwards girl:dancy:
 
That energy drain is a sneaky villain. It kinda lurks around and just when you feel that maybe today you can feel up to a few fun things... zap! Need a nap. My first longer walks, just up the block and back, could wipe me out for the rest of the day. After my first grocery shopping trip, I was zonked for the night. I kept telling my PT guy, "I had surgery. I have anemia! My body's trying to mend bones and make blood and doesn't give a :censored: about stepping over cones."

It got better last week, week 6. Before that, though, I had no energy at all. And I still took a nap one day.
 
Knee-knappers incorporated!
I just got back from a luncheon which was delightful! (getting in and out of the car as a passenger wasn't that easy, despite seat being all the way back)

But now my knees and me kneed a knap.
 
Back
Top Bottom