TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Beep beep! Pheebs is on the road again. Good for you. Here's to something that is normal :cheers:
 
Thanks for the heads up regarding getting out of the car. I also had Left TKR. Legally I could already try this Wednesday. (1 month) But I won't. Getting in and out of passenger side is tough enough. I also had trouble pre-op getting in and out of car. The pre-op knee hurt so much and after 20 min city driving (using clutch a lot) I was in so much pain!
Re the spasm/cramp in thigh. Oh :censored:yes. I know that all too well. It ranks as one of the most painful things I've lived through.

As was mentioned before, at least you know that if you have to drive, you can. That's just such a great feeling.:yes!:
 
So glad to know you didn't go to PT in a dress. Cute, but... don't see that working real well. :rofsign:

When I was testing out the car, Lefty was not the happiest of knees, even if all he had to do was sit there and let Righty do the work. Having a good right knee helps a lot! Getting out was a bit of a production, though. I'll be prepared for those thigh cramps if they show up.
 
It sounds like you're coming right along! And driving and shopping! Wonderful!
 
Howdy Smarties! @becticu , incredibly, I AM having a SECOND GOOD DAY today; yikes!!! I actually achieved a sleeping first last night as well; 7 UNBROKEN HOURS! Oh, and no Oxy at bedtime either! How can any of this possibly be? I certainly don't know, but I'm definitely not one to look a gift horse in the mouth! :happydance:

Becky, I had the same deep-bone ache from lots of ice time, but when everything was still so swollen I just had to grit my teeth. I'm sure my teeth are now ground down rodent-style; ugh. I did find cutting down on my minutes with ice helped, but only about 5-10 minutes. I couldn't cut back as radically as I would have liked until the beginning of 4th week post-op. Like you, I continued to elevate, ice or not, and still do. I know it will improve for you and hopefully very, very soon. You've had enough!:hissy:

@liam2015, I had PT this morning and drove myself with just one minor change; the car, lol. Because I had that nasty, muscle spasm on the way home yesterday, I decided to drive the geriatric "limo," instead today. Typically, we only use that for long trips, in fact purchased it for just that reason. It's more comfortable than my living room furniture, lol. As such, I felt that despite it being lower than my small SUV dog-mobile, perhaps it would be beneficial in other ways. Well, I was right on the money! No muscle spasms or any other sort of physical aches or pains.....zero! It's so much easier to get in and out of as well, due to all the push-button bells and whistles for seat and steering wheel adjustments. The designers definitely targeted a certain demographic, so it's truly a "Geri-Car," but that translates to all kinds of age or pain related perks. For instance, it has a very special little footrest built in for the left-foot; I'd totally forgotten about that spiffy, little detail.:SUNsmile: I could have kept right on driving....but I resisted. For now.

I hope your Lounge Doctor arrives today! More than that, I hope you like it, but can't see why you wouldn't. Proper elevation sure can't hurt, whether or not you are "late to the party."

Has anyone, the surgeon or PT, explained what they think is going on with your continued non-bendy status? I ask because of what I was told today in PT. Apparently, there are several possibilities, from swelling in the joint, swelling in the soft tissues, an over-abundance of scar tissue, or....a rock-hard, super stiff quad. It seems I fall in the latter category, mostly due to my having torn the meniscus back in December when the quads decided to go into a protective *lock-up* mode. I was still in that mode the morning of my TKR, and unfortunately, still am to some degree. My actual knee has what was termed *good movement* and both my knee and leg have very little visible swelling at this point.

To prove his point, PT had me lie on my right side, and picked up my left leg into a quad stretching position that surprisingly didn't hurt at al; it actually felt quite good! He kept asking if it hurt, because he didn't want me to feel any pain, and I said no, because it didn't. He just wanted me to feel a good stretch and nothing beyond that. Well,..... he stretched it to 90 degrees, something I absolutely cannot achieve on my own.

Apparently, this particular position, unlike the hated heel-slides, does not allow my quad to *fight back* or maintain that no longer needed, *protective stance*, so we know the bend is there, it's just being hindered by that stubborn, misinformed quad. His advice was heat and deep massage, 3x a day, followed by stomach lying quad stretch where we try to kick ourselves in the backside. Of course, we're all different and your mileage may vary, but it's worth a try, eh?
 
Susie, lefties are problematic in the driver's seat; pfft! Bring a small, flattish pillow with you to place under Lefty when you venture out of your driveway. I *think* that will help prevent any spasms and it's much safer and more elegant than holding your hamstrings with your left hand, lol. I brought my little pillow today, but as can be seen by post, it wasn't needed.:yes!:

Sistersinhim, I seem to be on a *healing roll*, but as I type, I'm knockin' on wood!
 
Yea for a second good day!! Speaking of the Lounge Doctor from up above, I actually ordered mine late last night. I've been through one knee without it but still lots of swelling in this knee and the hubby having his in Oct so I guess we will get good use. I'm hoping it won't hurt my back like elevating the bed does. Our bed is adjustable and I can get my knees up but it really bothers my back. I ordered after reading the post!:smile2::fingersx:
 
That is so interesting about the quad!!! You must be thrilled to see a 90 pain free bend, in any position!!! [emoji322][emoji322]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hah, it was pretty interesting @JennyLynne! :heehee:

Becky, I'm sure your Lounge Doctor will get great use, especially since your husband will be getting his done! I typically use mine lying flat in bed 'cuz that's what's most comfy for me. I do have back problems, so no one can really go by my experiences with elevation. For whatever reason, I don't find it as comfortable when on the sofa or in a recliner, but I believe that's due to a bionic hip and the back problems. Still, I can use it for a good 20 minutes anywhere, just not all night other than in bed.
 
Congrats on the sleep Pheebs! Ain't it grand! Amazing what several hours in a row can do for you --- I feel as though we are on parallel journeys . . . I also can't get past 90 much on my own - so I quit measuring -- last week my PT said that "I healed fast and TIGHT" -- so have been taking your advice with the heat, massaging, and longer stretching -- including the one in the bed where I try to stretch toward my butt - -I have a big one and I'm not even close to reaching it :rotfl:. I also ordered the Lounge Doctor -- I expect I'll use it some for this one and it will come in handy for the next one - plus I was tired of carrying pillows back and forth from the living room to the bedroom twice a day. Keep on sleeping sister!!! :sleep:
 
Sleep, sleep, wonderful sleep. Makes all things bearable and makes life sweet. Not to mention you're also have some pretty good days now! So happy to hear you've turned that corner. I kind of turned one myself at about that same one month mark. It's like getting past the hump.
 
Well Smarties, I was supposed to take a shower and then go to the pharmacy this morning. Instead, I took a spontaneous nap and just woke up, lol. Yep, 2 hours of snooze time after having had another 7 hour sleep night! Clearly I need my beauty rest.:heehee:
 
Haha, no problem @kmak81230! I have a Pug who is the world's laziest dog. I think he emits some sort of sleeping powder to the rest of us. Borrow one from a friend if you don't own one, lol.
 
Pheebs I started driving at 6 weeks with no bother, at about the nine week mark my new right knee started clicking when I was moving it from accelerator to brake, I panicked a bit thinking I had damaged it but then common sense set in and over the next few weeks the clicking vanished completely, so don't worry if in another few weeks something like this happens to yours
 
Pheebs, waiting for that lounge doctor! A lot of days I have more pain from my back than from my knees. In fact a month after my left knee they had to do an epidural on my back cause that nerve track was keeping my quad from firing. I'm hoping to get through this right one without another epidural.

Glad you got a good nap!:sleeep:
 
Lilli, I am hearing impaired so probably won't hear any knee clicks, but thanks for the head's up anyway!

Becky, I can really relate to more pain in the back than in the knees; aargggh! I just can't imagine having to undergo an epidural steroid injection in the spine during the first few weeks of TKR recovery; yikes! I try to manage my back with stretching, pillows, alternating heat and ice, and a keen awareness of my posture. The walker certainly aggravated everything, so I'm thrilled to be rid of that. I hope your Lounge Doctor arrives today!
 
Back
Top Bottom