TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Well, Smartie friends, this has been quite a weekend for me in many ways. Yesterday, we had the previously mentioned short outing into real-life at the grocery store and CVS and that was successful until I reached the checkout line. My knee told me to abandon Mistah there and I listened, heading for the comfort of the car. I'm happy to report there were no serious ill effects afterwards.:egypdance: I did have some shin achiness last night, but nothing that disturbed my beauty rest.:SUNsmile:

Today, I DROVE! Whoohoo, yes I did, but just a short distance. I want to be able to haul myself to PT, so that's exactly where we went, just 1.8 miles from home. So, a grand total of 3.6 miles, that takes about 10 minutes each way due to all the lights and traffic around here. Tomorrow is my 5 week Kneeversary, so the timing is right as far that goes.

I had no problems with the actual driving, but it's worthwhile to mention 2 occurrences here for those in the same boat. I had a LEFT TKR. I found it just a bit difficult to exit the driver's seat, because my stubborn, non-bendy left knee is the one that has to come out first from the driver's side and hey, there's also a steering wheel in the way! I managed, but I'll never win the graceful award. It's definitely an easier exit from the passenger side where I can swing both legs out together. Not so on the driver's side; pffft!

The other issue I encountered which might never happen to anyone else (or even me again) is this; On the way home, I developed a muscle spasm in the thigh. I was almost home when it started, but I was sure glad to get out of the car at that point!:holysheep: It felt like the Vulcan Death Grip; yikes! Fortunately, it eased up as soon as I started walking into the house, but it proved to me I am only good for a very short haul. Obviously, I won't be doing a lot of driving yet, but I'm thrilled I can do this short ride for now. Mistah is , of course, paranoid about it, but he'll get used to it....in time.:yes!:
 
Ha ha. Good for you! I keep going back to that two week period that I drove and lived a fairly normal life, only to do it again! One good thing is not having anything for this one. My total out of pocket was met during first surgery.

Enjoy your freedom but don't overdo it!:heehee:
 
Becky, very soon, you'll be recreating that two week period again, only this time it'll be forever!:flwrysmile:

Driving hint: Don't wear a dress, lol! To say my exit wasn't *ladylike* doesn't do it justice.:spin:
 
Congratulations on the driving. You're on the way to getting your freedom back! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:
 
Thanks Celle! The ride was short, but certainly sweet!:yes!:
 
I remember when I first drove (it was to PT) often I would find myself placing my left hand under my left hamstring/thigh. Something about this seemed to help. Also, I didn't like any bumps in the road no this helped with that.

On to look at more shoes after getting caught up on your thread (after home base shopping for daughter's wedding 5/5, dresses and shoes), I swore Macy's was going to forget to credit me for returns and Zappos was going to disown me for all the returns lol.
 
Jaschembra, I did the exact same thing with my hand under the hamstrings....what's up with that, I wonder? It did seem to help a bit. Oh, the bumps and potholes in the roads around here are a nightmare. They haven't even started working on them yet and summer is rather short here...pffft!

Mistah feels the same way about the bumps and potholes around here. He feels it's very jarring to my brand new knee; I really can't argue with that. Some roads make me feel like I'm inside a mix-master. Maybe I'll keep a small pillow in the car and see if that helps under the left thigh.

If Zappos hasn't disowned me yet, I think you are safe, lol!
 
Never thought about a pillow. That would work. There is no issue now, even if I hit a bump. :) Something you can look forward too
 
Good to know the hand or pillow will only be temporary Jaschembra! As I said earlier, I'm only going to be driving myself to PT for now. I'm not ready for anything further. Our small grocery store is also close, but I'm not ready for doing that alone yet, as evidenced by my ditching Mistah in the checkout line yesterday, lol. So for now, it's just back and forth to PT, and small though that is, I'm thrilled.:happydance:
 
I did my usual PT home exercises this afternoon which are just some leg extensions, heel slides and the bed stretch for the back of knee area. I warmed up my thigh with the heating pad as suggested by PT, and I did well (for me) with the exercises. I felt as though I got a smidgen more flexion, so I felt upbeat. Afterwards, I felt nice and loose....for me. It's all relative, right? I had no pain during or afterwards, as it should be. Due to habit and everything I've read here, I iced and elevated afterwards. Unfortunately, the ice makes my leg so incredibly stiff that it's rather discouraging, especially after having it feel pretty decent after exercises.

Is it necessary to ice after each exercise session if there is no pain? Will icing just be part of the routine for the next year or is it a judgment call? Don't get me wrong, it's been a lifesaver for pain control over the last few weeks, but if there's no pain, is it a must? Is it used primarily to prevent swelling when there's no pain? Clearly, I don't want more swelling, so if ice is needed, I will certainly continue with the chilly, stiff program.
 
It is my understanding the ice helps to halt the growth of inflammation. Inflammation causes swelling, so I think it does help to keep down the swelling. Why don't you try not icing for a time or two and see what happens. You can always go back to it if need be. Just be sure you always have a cloth between the ice and your knee.
 
Toot toot! Pheebs is back! [emoji593]
Congrats on hitting the road!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's a month now since your surgery. Icing isn't as important as it was, so you could cut it out, as long as you continue to elevate. Some people still use ice because it feels good but since you don't feel that, it's OK to stop.
Just use ice if your knee is painful.

Paula's idea (sistersinhim) is a good one, too.

I gradually reduced the amount of time I was icing, as recovery progressed, and then only used it if I had visited the ODIC.
 
Thanks for the cool info sistersinim and Celle! I'll play it by ear and continue to elevate. If pain is an issue, the ice will come out.

@JennyLynne, I love the car icon!
 
Congrats on driving! Isn't that the very best feeling? One step toward normalcy and independence!

I have the same issues some times with icing, so I'm glad you asked about it. There are times when it feels great and other times when it actually makes my knees feel worse. Those times, I skip it and just elevate. I think I'll follow @Celle's advice and just ice if my knee is feeling painful.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congrats on driving. One question, though... why did you wear a dress to PT? '

It's great to see the energy level go up a notch and, along with it, our activity level. Shopping. Errands. Just doing more around the house. It all brings us closer to where we need and want to be.
 
SusieShoes, no PT for me today, just the drive to the place.:) PT=Pants on my planet! :dancy: Since it was just a test-run today, I could have easily worn a dress, but I'm sure glad I didn't! I was just trying to warn those of us here who haven't driven as yet, that getting out of the driver's side door with a left TKR could be quite embarrassing in a dress. Even decked out in my capris, I had a most unseemly exit, lol.

Yep, the shopping felt great yesterday. Being "out there" in a non-medical setting, surrounded by healthy people of all ages gave me a real boost.:happydance: I'm so glad I didn't attempt to remain in the check-out line though! I think it probably ranked as Mistah's fastest food shopping expedition ever since I just couldn't dawdle like him. :SUNsmile:
 
Congrats on driving Pheebs52! It is great to have a little independence! I have also cut back on ice - it does feel good if I've had a big day but it simplifies things to just elevate.:martini:
 
Here's to a good day :dancy:. My hope and prayer is that tomorrow is just as good!! I remember with the other knee when I had two good days in a row, it was something to celebrate.

I find I have the same issue with icing. I'm not as far out on this knee as you are and I still have quite a bit of swelling. I can elevate and put on ice, always with something between and it still makes my knee ache so bad It feels like deep bone pain. I keep it on as long as I can stand but always elevate!:groan:
 
that's great, your first post-op test drive ~ now you know you can do it should you need to in an emergency or if you can't get a drive somewhere. i've also cut down a bit on the icing. i do always take an ice pack to bed with me, which helps with any aches and that "burning feeling"; i even change it for another one when i wake up at that witching hour between 2 and 3:30. i can hardly wait to get the "lounge doctor" which i ordered as a guest from eBay. unfortunately i'm having trouble logging in to check on the delivery tracking number. after using the password they sent me, which didn't work, i ended up signing up to eBay and also to the seller's site (Ames Walker, that also sells it on Amazon) and i think that has screwed things up. i may have to give them a phone call. i did get confirmation the sale went through. i know i'm late to the "lounge doctor party" but i'm hoping the proper elevation will help reduce the swelling and increase my r.o.m.

you're getting your confidence back with the driving and shopping; just try not to overdo it.
 
Back
Top Bottom