TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I used to do the same thing. Wake up, take an Oxy, get on Bonesmart, then got back to sleep. The first few weeks I was up and down every few hours. What a blessing a full night's sleep is. Though, I rarely get one. I always have a couple of badder breaks that wake me up! At least now, it's no Oxy or Bonesmart. It's back to sleep!
 
@sistersinhim, it's really the little things in life, eh? Waking for bladder calls is acceptable, the other stuff, well...not as much. I can't seem to move beyond the 5 hour point sleep-wise, but it's ok since I am a very willing and able napper.:SUNsmile:
 
Naps are wonderful! That's about all I can do now that I'm stuck in this wheelchair! Those naps make up for the nighttime trips to the potty!
 
Good afternoon Smarties! I just came back from my post-op visit with the surgeon and couldn't be happier. Pardon the rambling writing please because I'm exhausted and there's also some Oxy effect. OS feels I'm right where I should be at 75 degrees flexion since it's only been 3.5 weeks. Sure, if I were at 90, that would be even sweeter, but he's not in the least bit concerned. In his words, my ROM is very typical for this time frame. I'm not a *super-star* but I don't kneed (see what I did?) to be. It's really ok to be average; phew! It's much better than it was just a week and a half ago and he feels that shows I will reach his *magic* number of 100 in about 4-6 weeks. According to him, 100 is "the top of the hill," and any further increases are icing on the cake. Once I get there, I will no longer need PT and further increases will come easily on their own over time. :yahoo:

He feels my pain-level is typical for this time frame and said I was not a wimp; good to know! Sometimes I wonder, ya know? When he had his own TKR he said he was the biggest wuss on the planet, lol. Upon examination and some manipulation, he said I did not have a low pain threshold, but that what I feel is very real and legitimate. According to him, those who have less pain at this point in time are the exception. Naturally, I mentioned some of you Bi-lateral superstars. So, apparently, you guyz really did win the genetic lottery and truly are exceptional. :yay:

Interestingly, he didn't feel my swelling was all that bad when compared to most he sees at this point. I told him the PT thought it was lousy at 4 cm larger than the other knee. OS disagreed and didn't feel PT's comment was *helpful*. I did inquire on what I could do beyond ice and elevation to get it down some and basically, the answer is nothing. He doesn't believe compression sleeves help and doesn't believe Nsaids are the way to go. He did say some swelling may take up to one full year to vanish....hmmm...well...swell. C'est la vie.

He also made clear I should not ditch walking aids of any kind until I can walk limp-free. He sees a lot of people struggling to walk without aids and said they are harming their progress and creating other problems by not maintaining good form. Makes sense, eh?

One big improvement I noticed today was this mile long hallway seems to have shrunk to about 1/4 mile; hahahaha!

Life is good.:SUNsmile:
 
Yay! Sounds like my last report! My doctor also said nothing else I could do about the swelling and I should expect my whole leg (not just the knee area) to be more swollen than the other for 6-12 months. Not what I wanted to hear but it is realistic.
 
can i change to your surgeon Pheebs ~ i've always wanted to see boston? what a wonderful and encouraging follow-up you had.:yay:
 
Sounds like a great visit. Your doc seems right on target! It can take a whole year for swelling to disappear for some, every knee is different.
 
@liam2015, I don't see why not? Toronto's not that far away! Boston is a great town; small, historic, fabulous waterfront and very walkable. Summer is a great time to visit!
 
What a great follow-up appointment!!! It sounds like you have an awesome OS!! I love when they are realistic! Thank you for sharing his tidbit about not ditching the walking assistance too early.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@IowaNana, he saw that I was using 2 crutches and asked if that's what I am doing for the most part. I said it depends on how wobbly my leg feels. Sometimes one crutch or a cane is ok, sometimes not. He didn't feel that ditching walking aids on a timetable should be anyone's goal because it will occur naturally when the knee/leg is ready. *Wobbly* is a sign to grab help.
 
@Pheebs52 - I like the "wobbly" criteria. Although I've been walking without my cane inside, today my right knee is definitely "wobbly" for some reason. So... I will use the cane until it starts to behave again.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I love everything your OS told you, @Pheebs52 and I agree with it all. :thumb: :yes!:
It just shows what a difference having had a TKR yourself makes, doesn't it?

You must have been very reassured by your follow-up.
 
@IowaNana, exactly!

@Celle, I do believe his having undergone TKR makes him very special. He'd be special anyway, but with having gone through it, he's unique and I feel all his patients benefit. I feel so much more relaxed now about the entire healing process!:SUNsmile:
 
Oh, one other tidbit I forgot to mention: He says we can gain flexion for up to 2 years! Not one, two!
 
@keefsmom, thanks! Now, why can't all surgeons feel this way? Oh...that's right, *they* didn't have TKR's themselves!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom