TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@JennyLynne, I hear you on the no shorts policy! I have some nice sundresses but can't exactly wear those to PT. [emoji102]

@Jennszoo, I wish I could sew but it's not one of my talents. Clever design idea with the pockets!

It seems like the majority here are opting for loose, so when I work up the energy, I'll try my baggy linen long pants. I'm still at the stage where dressing and undressing leads to napping immediately afterwards. [emoji16]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't tell my husband but, while he was downstairs doing laundry this morning I engaged in some covert, appliance-free walking! I did very well if I say so myself!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Way to go!
I'm still married to a walker or 2 crutches. Anything else and I'm struggling.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yippee! You're on the road to complete freedom without tag-alongs!
 
@JennyLynne, I think it's just a case of "We're all different," once again. My walker has been making me insane. It bothers my back and the palms of my hand, plus.....the handles smell. I started using the crutches a week ago and I do like those much better. I walk better with crutches than I do with the walker; upright and with a more natural gait. Still, they have limitations like carrying anything; aarrghh! I tried the cane last Friday when I went to PT. I know how to use it and need it to get downstairs and out the door, so it was helpful and necessary in that sense. But.....it makes me wobble; go figure! It really does. I tend to lean toward the cane holding side when using it and that's the land of my bionic hip and bulging lumbar discs. In other words, it hurts my back; pffft! So, a few nights ago I tried a surreptitious *normal* walk in my kitchen where there are plenty of counters to grab if need be. Success! A little weird, definitely, but it gave me confidence to try more. And more. And you know how the rest works.:SUNsmile: Today was my longest *normal* walk yet. I was almost *ahem* graceful. No, I won't try to balance any books or crockery on my head just yet, but honestly, I'm not bad! I'm s-l-o-w and that's ok. I doubt I could go very far, but at some point this week, I'll talk to PT about it and get his thoughts on distance. Sashaying around the kitchen is not exactly the same as walking through a grocery store, but, it's a step (hahaha!) in the right direction.:happydance:
 
Good (?) morning Smarties! Well, it is good in some ways, especially when compared to where I was three weeks ago. Just 21 days ago, I still had my old knee and was wheeled into the OR at just about this time. I've enjoyed a lot of small victories and some large frustrations as well. In that sense, my recovery is just like everyone else's and I take great comfort in that, so here's a shout-out to all who have shared their ups and downs and continue to do so! Without the support found here, I know I'd be in a scary, dark place with my rigid, swollen knee. With the support, I've managed to maintain most of my mental and emotional equilibrium. Not all, but most!:smile2:

As with most numbers, 3 weeks has no particular value other than that which we assign. Nothing extraordinary happened and I feel very much like I did yesterday. That means, all things considered, I'm basically ok for the shape I'm in. When I can drop the qualifiers, I'll know things are really on the recovery upswing. I also know it's much too soon yet for that to happen, and will be for some time to come. I'm not even halfway through the first *trimester*, so my expectations are in synch with that unalterable fact. I still need the 10 mg of Oxy and the 1000mg of Tylenol every four hours and that's ok. My knee doesn't let me forget to take them, so I have an internal time-clock for the time being.....who needs an alarm or Siri? Certainly not me. That said, I am looking forward to the day when my internal clock does not tell me it's pill-time. I'll even appreciate an hour's delay. Maybe it'll happen this week.:unsure:
 
You certainly have the right outlook... letting your body tell you what it needs. No point in forcing it!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyLynne, my body is very vocal about what it wants. I just obey, lol!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The blasted knee feels like it is passing kidney stones right now. :yikes:
 
Speaking of stones...all evening yesterday I had a weird sensation of having a stone on my knee, at times it felt like it was boring into me. Ouch ouch! :tantrum:Guess it's the patella settling in or something like that.
 
Your knee feels like it's passing kidney stones? Please tell me it isn't true! That's the worst pain in the universe. :holysheep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've had one, just one, and hope to never see another. I can't even imagine that pain in the knee. Have you called your OS? Does your pain med schedule control it? Just hoping you're doing all right.
 
Oh no, that is terrible! Hope you can find a way to control the pain!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah, I felt like my kneecap might suddenly explode into a thousand little pieces at 4 :00 A.M.. Just awful. If it could double over in pain, ala kidney stone, it would. I took 10 mg of Oxy at 5 A.M. and it did help. The huge ice-blanket helped as well. I can now take more Oxy and Tylenol and will.

I'll be seeing the OS on Thursday, so hesitate to call today. Don't want to be a whiny pest, especially since there isn't much he can do by phone. My biggest concern is PT today, but I'll just have to be very assertive with my limits. Actually, I'd like him to stick with only some healing modalities if possible.
 
Oh no Pheebs. Sure you want to go to PT today? I guess there's a chance could help somehow but I could also understand not wanting anyone to touch it with this kind of pain. As for calling OS...bet you paid him a handsome sum recently, right?!?
 
@keefsmom, well yes, now that you mention it, he certainly did receive a tidy check....probably bought a new boat.

I went to PT on the off chance he could help. I think he may have, but I'm saying that while knuckle rapping my kitchen table. He massaged the quad and patella (eeuuuw, right? But no, it was pleasant) I fiddled with the recumbent bike pedals (one backwards full revolution) stretched my calf and hamstrings (that felt great) and did some leg dangling and just one set of seated quad extensions. Then he measured.....flexion up 10 degrees from Friday to 70; whoohoo! Extension down to -5! He was delighted as was I. Wait...no, I was more delighted. Much more. Yeah. :SUNsmile:

So, since I came home, I haven't felt any particular pain, especially not the kidney stone doppleganger; phew. I am stiff, but that's it. I'll take it. Regardless, I took 2 Oxy and 2 Tylenol on schedule, dragged out the ice blanket and promptly fell asleep. I really don't know what happened last night but I don't want a repeat performance, ever. I discussed it with him and he thought perhaps I made a weird, twisty move in bed.....maybe? I am a wild sleeper, always thrashing about. I was quite conservative with all movement yesterday because I knew I had this appointment today, so I can't blame it on overdoing anything. It's a mystery, as so much of this recovery seems to be.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom