Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Maybe? Hahaha!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ooooh, ooooh, light may be dawning on Marblehead! I wonder if my mostly using the cane yesterday brought all this on? That was a first and something different. Hmmm, must ponder.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok, I did a rapid ponder and have decided the cane and I are not ready for a full time relationship yet. Back to crutches today.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm with @JennyLynne, I look at the zingers as healing and it's almost comforting in a weird way. :chinstroke:

Now the shin pain - that stinks and I hate it. It is mostly at night or maybe it just seems that way since that's when I'm lying still and don't have my mind on anything else. I've tried using my TENS machine on it and it does seem to help at least take my mind off it.
 
@AlaskaGrandy ~ zingers feel like little electrical stimulations (not quite shocks) or little pin pricks in and around the incision. that's how i would describe them.
 
Sorry to hear your swelling is "a bit extreme," which if not a medical term is nonetheless alarming. I haven't dealt with that, but the nice lady with flexion issues at my PT has extreme swelling. It looks painful. She hadn't been elevating at all, though. I don't blame you for trying everything possible! Have you tried very gentle leg massage? Mr. Shoes does this for me, using Palmers Cocoa Butter or oil, while my legs are elevated. Mostly its to work the oil into my skin, which, alas, due to swelling, is dry and flaky and just looks awful. Not to mention itchy. I'm not sure if it might help the swelling or not, but it does feel very good and your skin will thank you. Also, some Smarties have touted the benefits of professional gentle massage.
 
@AlaskaGrandy, what liam2015 said. They have a very sharp, rapid, intense delivery. In my mind they have a machine-gun like quality.

@flyaway79, I don't know which is worse, but the shin pain is right up there; ugh. You're right, it happens mostly at night, just when you'd like to go to sleep! I have a small TENS unit, but feel unsure about using it just yet. I'll asky my OS when I see him on Tuesday.
 
Susieshoes, yes, I amssage or Mistah does every day. Like you, I also have the very flaky skin. My calf feels achy in general but I also massage the nasty, swollen thigh. Very gently though! I'd go for a pro-massage if I thought I could lie on the table for an hour. Alas, I cannot and I know this is true just because of bed preferences right now. I've chosen the softest bed and Mistah has decided to join me despite his bed preferences, 'cuz it's lonely in the Master with no Madam.:heehee:
 
Whoops, major typo, but I think you know what I meant, lol!
 
Good grief, my typing skills are bar room level right now; hah!
 
I've been using my TENS machine from just a couple weeks after my surgery. It was my PT that suggested it. He said to just not put it directly on the knee itself. I use it mainly on my thigh and lower leg.
 
Thanks for that info @flyaway79! I'd like to use it on my thigh, well above the incision. The IT band seems to be in a permanent spasm.
 
If I do excessive walking or hiking, over 12,000 or so steps, then my shin bone will hurt. It is mainly where the stem goes in to the bone. It was rough for a lot of months. And my new knee is anywhere from 1/2" to 1" bigger than my old knee, so I still swell, even after all this time. I have zingers in my numb area, but they are hardly noticeable now! Yours will go away, too, in their own time.

I'm sure your extra activity caused your pain last night. These knees are very touchy the first four or five months, and you aren't even a month out yet. Patience, my dear! Much easier said than done. I'm learning it first hand again with this injury of mine!
 
I'm sure you're right @sistersinhim. I think using only the cane put a lot of strain on the tkr leg yesterday that it doesn't typically experience. Today was a zero-cane day, and tomorrow will be as well. The patience well is rather thin after the zero-sleep night; ugh! How many ways can you say cranky?
 
Uh-oh....about an hour ago I started to notice a new, unwanted sensation. I can only describe it as *negative incision awareness." It almost feels as though the incision has popped open, but thankfully, it has not. It's just terribly sore on the skin level, not an internal painful feeling. I think I'm becoming a world-class whiner; eeeuuuww!
 
That happened to me the other night! I kept checking the incision. I made DH check. I went to the bathroom for better light. But alas, nothing was wrong.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can always tell when I've done too much because I can feel my incision get puffy and red. Especially at the top. It feels like that right now as I head to my recliner to ice for the rest of the night :-(
 
@JennyLynne, "cokes on you," lol. Really weird, right? I just had my husband look at it with the flashlight and....nothing; phew!

And, @flyaway79, it IS hurting at the top! I wonder if this is the oversensitivity others have talked about, where they can't stand even the sheet on the incision? If so, what fun, a new phase; pffft! Oh wait...wrong 'tude. It's part of moving forward with healing, lol.

I can't really see it well at all because the steri-strips are still there. They seem almost intractable, seriously glued on.
 
Back
Top Bottom