TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Flashlight, lol! I can hear you now-
"Look closer!!!"

My incision isn't covered in anything. It usually doesn't bother me but when it does.... aaaaahhhhh worst!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hahaha, well...yes, I did say that and insisted on a protracted examination, lol! This morning, I think I may have figured out why this is suddenly an issue. Two things have occurred simultaneously; 1) the large numb area to the left of my incision is shrinking! The sensation is returning near the top of my incision, so, that's good news, right? 2) Yesterday, I noticed while shuffling around the house, that my knee is actually BENDING! That's right, no more pirate, peg-leg style! So, more good news, eh? Result is a bit disconcerting, but I'm doing an @JennyLynne here with selling myself on the *merit* of this new, bizarre sensation. :groan:
 
I'm still trying to determine what clothing is the least irritating to the incison; tight legging style or loose and flowy. Any input?
 
I find Lands End cotton knit pants--long, cropped, and capris--are not irritating at all. They're stretchy, loose enough, and are thick enough I can slap gel packs right on top of them. They're my comfy go-to pants, and I even had two pair during my rehab stay.

This past week I started wearing other pants in my wardrobe. Linen is a little rougher on the skin (who knew? I never noticed before this) than cotton knit. The pair I wore yesterday (linen) had a seam down the front of the pants leg. Guess what? It rubbed the incision at times when I was sitting. Not badly, but noticeably, so do be aware of seams down the front of the pant leg.

A pair of chambray pants I love and which usually are not tight, were kind of tightish on me. I think slim leg pants will be dicey for a while. Your mileage may differ, of course. But I am liking the looser, baggier pants for this recovery period. I like looking stylish, which is somewhat possible with recovery clothes, and wide leg pants are on trend this summer, so that's a win!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
SusieShoes, I have one pair of those LandsEnd soft cotton capris and really do like them, so thanks for the reminder! Of course, I don't know if they will fit since my thighs are now 2 different sizes, lol. My baggy, on-trend long pants are linen; hah! I haven't tried them yet, but perhaps I will today. The linen seems to be very soft, but very soft to the hand is different than very soft to the incision area. Up until now, I've mostly been living in PJ's and nightshirts and for special occasions, my ratty yoga pants, lol. Of course, I haven't been out and about much, but that will change as of next week. I think I'll look forward to PT just for the getting out part.:wink:
 
I prefer looser for now. I put on some leggings the other day and had to change. Now that it's warm, I will be a lot of dresses and skirts. I don't like anything pressing the on the incision.

I remember after my last surgery, wearing a pair of skinny jeans to work. I needed the jaws of life to get them off me at the end of the day!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, just the thought of jeans makes me grimace; aacck! I had a pair of capri leggings on yesterday and had to remove them about 30 minutes later. I think they wrinkled up around the knee and sort of dug-in....not good!
 
Yesterday I remembered that I have a lovely pair of wide legged gauzy pants from the Soft Surroundings catalog and dug them out to wear when my very stylish and much younger work colleague came for a visit. After she left, DH says to me, you know there's a hole in those pants just below your butt, right? FOILED AGAIN. Going to see about getting a new pair because they are super comfy, lightweight (summer heatwave arrived in DC today) and give the incision a wide berth--although you would think I'd get more than 2 summers wear out of them!
 
I need some outpatient PT clothes! I never wear shorts and all my longer workout clothes are tight in the legs.
With my home PT, I wore baggy soft pj pants. Not suitable for the outside world!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
for going out to the surgeon, i wear my Lululemon (very successful Canadian company) loose leg yoga pants which the surgeon just pulls up to examine my knee. they have flat seams. for going to physio, i wear my Lululemon capris pants, easy to roll up the leg for treatments. (you can always dress them up with a nice blouse). yesterday i wore a lightweight sleeveless, flowy black dress for barbecue at my house ~ very comfortable ~ almost like wearing my nightie but fancy.
 
I made a bunch of knit shorts before surgery. Some loose, those were my favorite in the early days. And some basically like,bike shorts/leggings. Those are my favorites now with a long flowy top. I added pockets for my phone, which was great when I was hobbling on a walker or cane.
 
Ah yes, the pants dilemma! I have some cute kinda denim capris but can't wear them for long because they rub on my incision. I have found now that if I do the Saran Wrap trick I can wear them longer. Once the incision is healed, take about a 6"x6" piece of plastic wrap and rub lotion on your knee and place the plastic wrap over it. It actually stays in place all day. I even use it at night when my incsion is bothering me.

I'm not a dress or skirt person so I have to find ways to wear my pants. And right now my most comfy and stable shoes for walking around are my tennis shoes. I'm also still vain enough that I don't want to look goofy when I'm out and about:cool:
 
Liam2015... I have about 10 pairs of lulu leggings, all too snug to roll up over knee, of course. Looks like I may be hitting up the website for some looser cropped ones.
(If I HAVE to... haha... yay!)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@liam2015, I will look into the lulumons....just not the translucent variety!

@flyaway79, here's to vanity, long may it reign!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
oh so they sell them in the u.s.! yes, i have always bought the looser pants. just recently, in the last couple of years, bought snug leggings which have really come into style, even with the older set (me, not you). have to make sure to wear a top that covers my butt though lol. :wink:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom