Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

On the lighter side, he shared what was to me a very funny story. This PT place has been a well-known fixture in our community for many years. The owner is held in high esteem by the medical community at large and is a physical fitness fanatic. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's worth mentioning here. It seems he had a knee replacement in the fall. When it was time for him to attend PT, guess what he couldn't do? I know you know, but I'll spell it out anyway.....prone heel slides; hah!
 
@liam2015, or you could place a high pillow or cushion on your bed so that your foot does not touch the floor? I don't think a chair would be high enough? When you do them, instead of sitting up straight, place some pillows behind your back and lean backward, resting on them while your leg is dangling down. For some reason, this stretches the quad a lot more than just sitting up straight on the edge of the bed.
 
ha...that's funny your physiotherapist didn't do the prone heel slides after his surgery and even better, he has experienced a knee replacement. thanks for the tips of the leg dangling. without shoes, my feet don't actually reach the floor sitting on dining room chair lol. (they belonged to my grandma who was born in the 1800's and you would think they'd be shorter...maybe the seat cushions just got higher when renovated).:shrug:
 
Haha... "do as I say... not as I do!"

Another heel slide trick.... put a plastic grocery back over your foot... helps the slide!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I thought it was a hoot.:snork:

How odd that your dining chairs are antique and tall, lol! I have some antique chairs that were my great-grandmother's and they are really, really low!
 
Exactly JennyLynne! I'm thinking this is why he didn't harp on me about them today, lol! I'll try that plastic bag trick; thanks!
 
Hello Smartie's! I have a few medical questions his morning, as follows: 1) Zingers: Can they be prevented? Can they be diminished somehow while under attack? Is it unusual for this to happen for several hours on end or is this typical? I've had the odd one now and again, but not an hours long scenario. None of the usual aids (ice, elevation, Oxy and Tylenol) seemed to make a dent in the onslaught. It started at about 11 P.M. and just continued for most of the night.

2) Deep, intense, throbbing shin ache. This started at about the same time as the zinger attack, so it was a serious, double whammy night. Definitely not a night of rest; ugh! Again, none of the usual pain aids seemed to help, so what does? Anything?

3)Compression knee sleeves? Do they help? I still have a moderate amount of swelling as noted by PT yesterday. I feel as though I spend the vast majority of my time icing and elevating, yet the OP knee is still 4 cm larger than the good knee. Should I try some Nsaids, buy a compression sleeve, do both, or is there anything else I can possibly do to diminish the swelling? I've been about as inactive as a kneebie can be, other than necessary walks around the house and those dastardly heel slides, quad sets and leg extensions.

All suggestions welcome!
 
Wow, I can't help on your first two questions at all. Only the occasional zinger for me and no bone aches. But for #3, I would suggest you talk to your OS by phone. Is OS concerned by the swelling? Would OS recommend knee sleeves?

My left knee is moderately more swollen than my right. Both still have some swelling, just not what anyone calls bad. I think swelling doesn't go away completely until a bit later in recovery. There're an awful lot of irritated tendons, muscles, fascia, nerves and other anatomical structures trying to heal themselves inside that knee. You're doing all the right things and your patience will pay off as soon as the knee can finish its work.
 
The only thing that helps me with zingers is ice... and not that much help.

I haven't considered wearing a sleeve at this point where I still have considerable swelling. I think it would be too tight and restricting. A little later on, when I'm back at work and on my feet more, I think it would be nice.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think it's great that the owner of your PT office had a knee replacement and struggled with the heel slides. Interesting - the only time I was asked to do them was with the hospital PT. My video PT exercises from my OS had me do them seated, which are much easier!

For the zingers, I have started icing an hour before when they typically hit and it has seemed to minimize them. I typically get them when I go to bed. I am not sure why they hit at that time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
yikes Pheebs52...do you think those zingers and other pains are a result of your physio yesterday? it took a few weeks for me to develop the achey thigh that everyone mentioned. as far as compression knee sleeves, i can't even put on my socks, so can't help you there. my swelling seems to be the same every day even with icing and elevating. wish i could help you. take a day off of anything even slightly strenuous and see if your leg will settle down.:friends:
 
I saw the PA at the OS office last week and he was dismayed by the amount of swelling I had. He didn't really have any suggestions on how to combat it other than what I've been doing. Yesterday, the PT was also dismayed and labelled it * a bit extreme* That's a professional medical term. :gaah: Harumph! He was also clueless about reducing it. This coming Tuesday, I see the OS, so I will bring it all up with him. I have a feeling he won't have any answers either, but, I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

@SusieShoes, some realignment was required in my case, so I don't know how much this adds to the general misery but probably *sumthin'.* Perhaps this adds to swelling as well? Not that the source really matters, at this point, it just is, for whatever reason. How lucky were you to escape zingers and deep bone ache? Especially with both knees done.... wow! With that kind of luck, I'd be buying lottery tickets, lol. You can see why I don't.:oyvey:

@JennyLynne, through doing some reading, I get the impression that there are knee-sleeves designed to reduce swelling. How they do it is beyond me, but they are not like TEDS or the drugstore type designed for support. They look hot and uncomfortable to me, but....if they work, I'd put up with that! Your zinger answer is what I expected; pffft!

Well, it's too nice a day for me to sit indoors, so I shall carry my nasty knee, book, ice and pillows outside for a bit! Carpe Diem and all that rah-rah.
 
Thanks guyz! IowaNana, I do ice just before bed and yes, they do tend to start at night; ugh!
Liam2015, no, I really don't think it was from anything done at PT yesterday because we really didn't do anything beyond what I do at home? Granted, I had to deal with my stairs and driveway, coming and going, the very short car ride, and I toyed with the pedal machine just a bit, but not for long at all because I couldn't get it to stay still; hah! I dunno, it's a real head-scratcher that I don't care to repeat.
 
Oh, today will be the laziest, iciest, lowest-activity day ever! I'm so tired after last night my typing fingers are drooping; wah!
 
getting back to your little pedal bike, would it help to put one of those rubber bath mats underneath? you'll probably think this is weird,:heehee: but i put one in front of the toilet, so i won't slip on the floor getting on and off the toilet lol. (i stretch my new kneed leg out and bend my other leg out to an appropriate angle). i think hubby must have wondered why i've done that ~ haven't explained it yet. feel better today. maybe just going out in the car and navigating steps and driveway set you back a bit. yesterday was my day off of home exercises after physio appointment. the car is the worst for me with pain.
 
I've always been a "sweller". I tried wearing a copper sleeve for a while this year. Didn't really feel any benefit.

I try to remind myself that the zingers mean that the nerves are reconnecting. It's part of healing, right? And we want that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Liam2015, what does it say about me if I don't think your toilet mat is odd? Yeah, I don't. Today I will have mistag search through the basement to find the old, rubber backed mat for the pedals; great idea!

JennyLynne, er...are you trying to sell me on the merit of zingers? Lol!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom