TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@IowaNana, I think perhaps carrying your cane WAS helping you walk; hah! It may have aided your balance.:yes!:

I know hubby will be thrilled to be back in the *real* bed with his honey; great news!

@sistersinhim, The walk didn't seem long at all since I don't remember it, lol!
 
That's what's so good about that long walk. It must not have hurt, or you would have remembered the pain!
 
Those nighttime and morning snuggles are healing, to be sure. Mr. Shoes and I shared the bed from my first day home, though it wasn't always easy for him. But just having him there beside me made so much difference. Your Mister has the cooking trophy, though!
 
Susie, Mistah was afraid he might kick my knee during the night and I didn't want him waking up every two hours like me, so that's why I went the nomad sleeping route. Sometimes my Pug would come and sleep with me, but I sure missed being in the regular bed with the whole crew. Sleeping alone is very odd after 43 years of marriage!
 
I bet it is, but it's much better than being kicked!
 
Mr. Shoes occasionally bumps a knee. He's so conscientious he immediately jumps up and apologizes and asks if I'm okay. So far nothing that's caused pain or anything. More a feeling of surprise. "Something hit my knee!" The closest we came to an "incident" is when he leaned over one time and kinda laid his forearm on my knee and I jerked back because I was afraid he was going to put weight on it. He looked mortified at forgetting and putting an arm on my knee. But so far, that was the worst.
 
I was so restless and sleep deprived in bed that hubby and dog were relegated to spare room for twelve weeks!
 
I loved the story about forgetting how you got to the table and kudos for getting more sleep! You are doing great
 
@Lilli15, I actually prefer the mattress in my spare room, lol. Hubby prefers the master bedroom bed, so we often change rooms during the week as a compromise and pretend we're on vacation.:loll:

@sistersinhim, I really didn't feel he would kick me, but he's a worry wart. I am concerned that he is not getting good sleep because I have been so disruptive. He almost looks and feels as tired as me! My Pug entwines himself around my good leg and my terrier likes to sleep on my pillow. Both dogs just seem to know the leg is a "No Go," zone....such smart little furs.:doggie:

@SusieShoes, I think our husbands have much in common; great story about things that go bump in the night!:flwrysmile:
 
Off to see the Outside PT at 9 A.M.....trying to keep an open mind but it's not easy! Wish me luck!
 
Good luck! There are a lot of good PTs out there!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck! I hope you have a good experience with PT!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Guyz! I'm back, intact and I think I may have liked this guy, but the jury is still out.:SUNsmile: Today was just initial evaluation, so we didn't do anything especially trying. Here's what I liked about him: When I expressed my fears about PT and my *rules*, and told him my Home PT horror story, his response was, "This is your knee, so you are the boss. I am here only to try and help you reach your goals. I hope we have joint goals and mine would be 110-120 ROM at 8 weeks. You are the one who will be doing the work and you are the one that has to live with the outcome. When you say enough, I will believe you and trust that you've done your best."

Measurements: Flexion 60 degrees. Extension -10 degrees. I believe he said swelling was rather extreme at 4 cm or he said it was 4x larger than the other knee. I think it's the former, but I'm not hip to metric measurements.

He was delighted that I broke out the cheesy, pedaling machine yesterday and suggested I use it for 3-5 minutes as tolerated 2-3x a day. He felt that particular motion would help to loosen things up and dissipate some of the swelling. No new exercises for me to do other than that and definitely NO STRENGTH TRAINING for many more weeks if ever. I am to continue on with ice and elevation, probably for 6 months to a year.

He felt I walked rather well with just the cane, but I told him I prefer the stability of crutches. Bottom line: I can use either, but he suggested I dump the walker with the skunky, smelling handles. Whoohoo! :happydance:

PHEW!!!! Now I won't dread going back there next Tuesday; life is good!:spin:
 
He certainly said all the right things! I have a good feeling about this one![emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, he definitely *talked the talk* and that's a good sign!:wink:
 
that's great you liked him and he respects your wishes. what did he do after taking the measurements?
 
He sounds like a good guy - I like the approach of setting mutually agreeable goals.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
After he took measurements, he wanted to review how I was doing the odious heel slides, the leg dangling, the quad sets and quad extensions. He then suggested I try seated heel slides instead because I might find them easier. Apparently, many people have trouble with them in a prone position and do better from a seated position. I did much better with the seated ones, but he took the measurements based on the lying down version. After that we took a walk around the gym and he told me to concentrate on really pushing off with my left heel. We were going to do the stairs, but I explained I had 13 of them to get up at home, in addition to my ski slope of a driveway, so he gave me a pass on that.:SUNsmile:

It was mostly talk today, but the talk was productive and I was really glad he didn't add any nasty new exercises. He did suggest I do more leg-dangling over the side of the bed, so I will. He showed me a way to get more of a quad stretch out of that without increased pain, so that was helpful as well.
 
Yes, I also liked the idea of mutually agreeably goals; phew! He's also not expecting me to be at 80 degrees ROM next week, so I feel he is reality based, unlike the lunatic who was coming to my home. Oh, and he never mentioned the dreaded MUA acronym. I gave him big points for that!
 
Thanks Pheebs...just curious about what others do in physio. i haven't tried the leg dangling over the bed yet ~ my bed is quite low, so maybe i should try from a dining room chair.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom