TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Brauzie. Thanks for being there for me and all the good info and wishes. How are you feeling?:chuckmarch:
 
@Pescara, I certainly hope you have more pain med requested. For me pain reduction would trump concerns of brain fog :yes:. Two weeks from today will be my day. Slowly but surely my nest is coming together. Recliner will be delivered Thursday. I had the sofa elevated so at least I can get up from it. The guy I hired to wash windows has been so unreliable, that still is not complete. I'll probably put packing off until the day before, but I'll for sure remember the underwear!

Take care!
 
@wings. I did pack a couple of depends. There are all types. The first few days they came in handy since it took me to long to get to the restroom. Dribble Dribble! Lol. I really missed the catheter so I didn't have to get up:puppysmooze:
 
@Widget1 So sorry for your bad experience with your doctor. I never saw my old OS the whole time I was in the hospital and a few days at rehab. I even asked the nurses to call him and he never responded. I saw him once to get my staples out then 2 months later for a follow up. Thanks to @wings I have a great new OS. I am still waiting for news when they will do my other knee. My old OS only makes appointments every 3 months and if wanted to see him sooner it was 2 months.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wings I backed off the pain meds to half. I didn't want to go through withdrawal. I only take half before PT. Brian(my PT) seems to think in 4 weeks I should be walking up 10 stairs with no problems. I have my doubts. Lol. Is he kidding. With 2 bad knees and bad back!
 
Does anyone know how long it takes for your knee not to be discolored? Mine is a pretty shade of red and purple and also my scar. Thanks. I itch but the nurse won't let me scratch:shrug:
 
I'm ok but frustrated that this recovery is taking so long. Today is a non physio day so I'm bonesmarting. I feel guilty though because I didn't get up until 11:30. Fell asleep around 3 am, woke up at 6 then slept on and off until after 11. This means that I won't sleep tonight.
 
@Pescara - With everything you're going through, I can't complain.. Just working through the healing journey, trying to work through being more patient.. :yes:

I would consider upping your pain meds again though.. the thought of being in pain while you're dealing with everything makes me cringe.. I would think it would help you get through this a little easier?? Sending more hugs.. :)
 
@cairistiona60 . Sleep when you can. I found lots of great old tv shows on late nights when I can't sleep and get bored and fall back to sleep. Someone told me " Rome wasn't built in a day and so was your knee". Very wise advice. After 12 weeks I still get frustrated and miss all the things I could do. Looks like scuba diving is not in the near future. We are always here so vent all you want. We know how frustrating it can get. Sending Happy Thoughts:doggie:
 
@Pescara

Katie,

I am so happy that you're getting the care that you need, and that the nurses, therapist and your OS are so competent and caring!

You suffered so much trauma in the last week after your fall (stitches in your chin, your swollen & black eye, your existing issues with your right knee, and more importantly, the status of your back). If you need the pain meds, please take them. Isn't it better to have the pain masked than to suffer through it? I don't think you will be addicted, and if your new OS has prescribed pain meds, he obviously knows you are in pain.

When the home care nurse told me 3 weeks after my TKR that no one else needed pain meds at that point I foolishly started either cutting my pills in half and taking 2.5 Norco (instead of 10), or else stretching out from 4 hours to 8 hours between doses, and was is such misery. My DNA shows that I have such low sensitivity to opioids that I should be prescribed double dosage. After a couple of days of seeing me in tears with pain the home PT told me that I should be taking the pain meds on a regular basis, as prescribed, and that since I'd been stretching out and lowering the dosage it was taking me longer to catch up with controlling the pain.
 
I was so bored in the hospital I was thankful for the fog and sleep. If you need the pain meds, take what you need.
 
Doing the pain meds have lifted the fog and even if I'm in pain I know I am alive. I am taking the regular dose at night so I can sleep but still cut back to half. The pain is not to bad. I am mostly numb. I do take a 1/4 before PT. I have PT at noon today. Yipeee, more torture. Not even hungry. I'm tired of TV and movies so I just lay here and enjoy the quiet. They won't give me a discharge date yet. I think it has something to do PT to make sure I can get around without falling. Lol. I am more comfortable at home where I know where everything is. I miss my dog. I wish she could visit:dogsniff: I am now on my third PT. They gave up and thought I should be doing great. Brian is very nice and takes his time with me even if I do say every name in the book
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pescara Katie, how was your PT session at noon today? I hope that it wasn't pure torture for you, and that they are more confident that you can go home and not be in danger of falling.

I was finally able to get an appointment for PT - next Thursday at 6:50AM (yikes!). This will be the first time since June for PT, and I hope the therapist will be able to give me some kind of exercise to relieve the tendinopathy pain.
 
PT went good and I had my knees and back massaged. I was in heaven and felt better after.
@Widget1 6:45 am!!! Are they kidding. They are not supposed to start until 8 am. I would be half asleep and a zombie. I hope the PT is nice and gentle.
I am finally getting around better but still want to go home. Lol. I have 8 more therapy sessions until a final decision will be made so I am exercising like crazy.
 
@Pescara you certainly are interesting reading. Leave you for a couple of days and when you come back your thread is full of surprises. What an interesting MRI report? So what did they decide to do about your back? Are you still in a brace? It sounds like you're moving around more, which is great. How's your knee doing since the fall? I know you're concerned with the discoloration, that should go away with the healing. I still have a purple spot on my knee. I think it's where I popped that stupid stitch. But the rest of the purple color has gone. Your PT massage sounded great. They seem to know what they're doing. They work you for a couple of days then massage another. Not too shabby. :) Hopefully you're getting some decent sleep. Sending happy thoughts that you'll soon be home with your puppy sleeping in your own bed.
 
@momweb They haven't said much about my back except I screwed it up bad. Lots of new exercises today. Hopefully they help a lot
 
I agree with @louie that PT should never cause bruises, and after PT, a more flexible muscle. You mentioned PT said you should not do PT now, what you need is surgery, is it possible ask them to issue a letter to express this opinion? After that, if find another PT who holds same opinion, then together with letter or prove saying you already hv too many injection so injection is no more useful, and talk to insurance company again? Or wait till you see your new GP see how he think? Just some thought, and hope you can work out a stragedy soon. Hug and best wishes.
 
@wings Don't forget to get a pedicure. You will spend a lot of time looking at your feet! I have been going to the same salon for 4 years so I am lucky. Kevin will come to the hospital or home for $5.00 extra. He cuts and re-polish my nails since I can't do my feet:dogwalk:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom