TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pescara, you're a trooper! I'm so glad the spine and knees are being evaluated by new OS. Love your room placement across from nursing station.

Thanks for asking how I'm doing. In a nutshell, I'm preparing my recovery nest. I started off with a 3 page to do list - most have been checked off, with a couple of biggies remaining. I'm sure there will be things I forgot, but I want to be as ready as possible.

Socially this will be a difficult time for me, as all of my friends are 90 miles away where our beach house is located. I'm so thankful for the support and camaraderie of the bonesmarties! :flwrysmile:. I will be making one more visit to the beach hours before surgery.

Keep us posted how things are going!
 
@Pescara, oh it sounds like you are getting the care you need!! Boy you must have done some damage, needing a plastic surgeon! How long will you be in hospital? And that's nice that your husband can stay with you!
Pt went well, but tires me out still! Also, I don't need the pain meds. It's funny how you just turn that corner!!
 
@Pescara looks like you're getting a head to toe make-over! Good grief! That's awful! And from what I hear about the rain in Florida it's a good thing you're all settled in the new hospital now. Doesn't look like the tropical storm will turn into a hurricane but will produce enough rain to make everyone wilt for awhile. I'm glad your back will be taken care of. There is no way your knee can heal if your spine can't support your own body weight without pain. I'm wishing you all the best. We're here in New Hampshire on vacation for a week. I've gone back to using my cane when walking outside. I swear there's something floating in my knee. I'm at 9 weeks now and I get this awful pain when I walk faster than a snail. We'll see what happens when I start PT at a new out patient facility after vacation. In the meantime, you take care of yourself. From what I've read, you have lots of reading to do from all your friends here. Don't rush the healing!!:flwrysmile:
 
Yesterday was fun. I think NOT. PT came with a back brace for me. First wrapped in towels to catch the sweat and then the brace. I got out of bed and my knees couldn't take it. More drugs so I am in a fog most of the time. Today another MRI since they think one of my bulging disc had broken (i think that's what they said). I am so mad at myself for all this. Ice,ice and more ice everywhere. I think I am frozen! Ahhh, how I miss my couch, tv bed, dog and my poor table:eeeuw: I seem to cry at the drop of a hat. Maybe it's the meds? Any suggestions? Maybe I should ask the nurse but they have so much to do I hate to call them? I'm not the only sick one and don't want to be a bother.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@momweb . You can have all our rain. We are 30 inches above normal with more to come. I doubt we are in a drought anymore.:dogwalk:
 
Oh I really feel for you Katie, and I like that you will stay in the hospital where your new OS has privileges, it seems he is a nice doctor who shows concern with patient. I wish you a speedy recovery from this fall, and wish this OS will help you get the operation approval from Blue Cross.
 
@wings it's almost time. Do you have everything packed? Don't forget non slip socks. They help a lot. If you are on an orthopedic floor I think they give them to you. Yes.... I am so bored. I am glad they are going to let my husband hook up a DVD player so we can watch a lot of Showtime mini series and movies. Now I have to learn how to use it so when I can't sleep I can watch a movie. So far I have seen the OS twice a day or his PA. He is very hand holding and keeps me informed of everything:puppysmooze:
 
Hey Pescara, I'm doing better. Sleep is still an issue..good nights and bad nights. That's the only time I take pain meds, when I just can't get relief to sleep. Just doing xtra strength Tylenol during the day. My ROM is getting better also. Have the big follow-up next week. looking forward to that. Can't wait to try and walk.
I was just catching up on you. Sounds like your taking the bull by the horns ! I hope your new Doc works out. I'm pullin for ya !
 
Ohhh @Pescara you have every right to cry and no I don't think it's the meds. Good Lord, look what you've gone through. (not to mention to that darn table,:heehee:, sorry, couldn't resist). I have 2 bulging discs in my spine. I have arthritis in just about all my joints. It sucks. Do you think they are considering back surgery? The problems with the discs could be part of your problem when you tried to use your legs. Being in the hospital, you'll get the results of the MRI pretty quick. I hope whatever it shows, you get the relief you need soon. Thinking of you.
 
@Pescara do you have pain shooting down your legs? If you do the disc is pushing on a nerve. Don't rush into surgery so fast if they tell you too

Thanks for the encouragement and will update my thread today
 
Two quick things: 1) don't you dare feel guilty for having a fall. This is not something you did, just an unlucky confluence of events happened TO you. 2) if the nurses can help you, call them. They put you by the nurses station so they can hear you and attend to you quickly. They know you might need a little extra care.

Watching your thread with interest and concern.
 
@Pescara - Sending lots of hugs and sending prayers for your recovery. Wish I could do more to help than just that. I would come and hold your hand if I could and try to help the time pass to keep your mind off your current situation. (Nice that you got a DVD set up!!!) Like Slainte, I'm watching your thread as well.. Hang in there!! Sounds like you are in great hands between your OS and your hubby..
 
@Pescara - Don't worry about calling the nurses for assistance! If you call repeatedly and they don't bother to answer any callsl (that's what my experience was), then that's the time to start worrying :)

I hope that you are able to get some sleep, and that you're receiving enough meds to make you as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. It's wonderful that your OS stops by in person to see you and is supervising your care. You've suffered a lot of damage to your body, starting with your eye and chin and going down. Can you ask your husband to find out exactly what the issue is with the disc in your back?

You probably wouldn't be able to enjoy your patio table now anyway. We've had all this tropical moisture off the Gulf pouring on us for about a week (like we did for 27 straight days in July to early August), and the "remnants" of the rain blob FKA Erika won't be here until tomorrow to dump more rain on us. So many neighborhoods in the Tampa area are still under water from the flooding earlier this month, and rebuilding not possible because everything still wet. Since the winds with our t-storms are stronger than Tropical Storm winds, those can wreak havoc. A neighbor still has blue tarps on his (2-year old) roof from damage at end of July. It's rained so much every day that the roof can't be repaired until it dries out. We're under a flash flood warning for the river that's less than a mile from me, and it's supposed to rise above the previous record in 1947. We're expecting another 3-5 inches of rain today, and maybe another 6-10 inches by Tuesday.
 
@Pescara -- I just finished reading your thread. I have been whining on mine, but now I feel guilty--you have been through so much more. I had a fall two weeks ago, but nothing like yours thankfully. Positive thoughts for you as you decide if the back or knee takes priority.
 
@Dearjr , I will have a copy of the MRI tomorrow. I was to foggy to read it today. Hopefully someone can tell me about a cyst and fractured L 4-6.I will send you a private message and happy to pay you for a second opinion:dogwalk:
 
Real food tonight. Not sure what it was but good and my favorite...Ice cream! I sent hubby home for the day since I have been sleeping a lot and I am sure the dog is lonely. PT was pretty good but I'm tired from it. It was empty since they are open to in hospital patients only. I did find out something interesting. If you live near a beach salt water is good for healing your knees. Our water today was 89! Sleeping on and off all day has been great and even learned how to use the DVD player with a list on how to do it if I forget!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sdgrandma Thanks for the positive thoughts. Since I have paid all of my out of pocket everything but medication is covered so we are hoping for both before the end of the year. I have a lot for tax write off this year lol:dogsniff:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom