TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy being home among your own things. There's nothing quite like it.
 
@momweb Still nothing from B.C.. What are they waiting for? They have to be the slowest insurance company. I did ask my PT if they know any doctor that has had a TKR. They said no lol it makes me wonder if it's the same for anyone at BC :what: Maybe they want me to have my back fixed first so I won't have as much trouble with another TKR?
 
@Pescara are you home now? Hope so. My home PT that I had for weeks had a TKR so he knew exactly what I was going through and then some. His situation that led up to the surgery was way worse than mine. But it was nice to have someone whose words weren't just words when they said, "I understand how you feel". He really did. I miss him.
 
Katie,

Hopefully you're now resting comfortably at home. Don't think about BC, because there's nothing you can do and their offices won't be open again until Tuesday.

One of my home PTs had a TKR, and she was so helpful to me. She showed me how to massage the incision, and said that when I went out in the hot Florida sun to just take a t-shirt and toss it over my knee (OS instructions to not have sun on the incision for a year to lessen the appearance). She also was definitely on my side when the home nurse said I should be completely off pain meds at 3 weeks, and my PT told me to take the pain meds as prescribed and not let the pain take hold (I still have pain, especially at night, and am taking 1 Norco at bedtime, upon instructions from my primary). That PT had worked for my OS 22 years ago when he was team doc for the NHL hockey team, and she knew his protocols and also had gone through the TKR healing experience herself. I was so fortunate to have her.
 
@momweb @Widget1 I am finally home and not sure what to do with myself! After 3 months I still need 1 Narco so I can sleep and still have a numb spot. I'm glad to be home and hubby kept the house nice and clean. This dog has not let me out of her sight. I'm still wondering if I should have got a new OS. I'm not sure yet but I don't think he can also do my back. I hope so. I never did ask. Stupid me lol. I don't want to go from doctor to doctor and keep filling out paperwork every time. I'm so tired I might forget about my other knee until next year. I see him again on the 17th and will ask then. Ice cream time. Yipeee. Any input would be greatly appreciated xxx
 
Is your OS part of an ortho group? My group has Ortho surgeons with different specialities; one does backs, several knees and hips, another shoulders, a revision specialist etc. So if you're happy with the dr no need to fill out paperwork. It's all in the office.
 
Katie,

So glad you're at home and can truly relax!

Ms. Queen of the ODIC, just a reminder that this journey is not a sprint! My LTKR was the day before yours, and I still need 1 Norco (and 1 melatonin) in order to sleep (I still wake up in pain when my incision area touches the sheet) and the left side of my knee is still numb. My OS (and helpful members here) told me that the numbness is normal. Add on to that that you had a traumatic fall less than 10 days ago and had stitches, a black eye, and injuries that necessitated your being admitted as an inpatient for treatment and therapy.

Don't be surprised if your new OS doesn't do backs. The ortho group I go to has specialists for each part of the body, and that's why my other OS from the group couldn't do the TKR (my current OS only does TKR, PKR, and THR but only for arthritis - I know someone who fell and fractured her hip, but my OS referred her to another OS in the group who does joint replacements for non-arthritis patients). You have had such positive interaction with your new OS, and even if he is unable to do your back, he surely would refer you to the very best surgeon for treatment.
 
@Pescara, well, so happy to hear you can go home!! :wowspring:so let us hear from you, after you find out where everything is again.. lol! Take it easy, and hope to hear from you soon.
 
Glad you're home.

Bet your dog -- name? picture? -- is as happy as your DH to have you back home!

Please make sure someone comes out and checks out your home for safety hazards and checks out how you're functioning with the rented chair lift and other stuff your *wonderful* DH got you. I want to make sure you're using it correctly, so you don't jeopardize your hard-won progress during the past week.

I agree with @Widget1 and @KarriB that your OS may not do backs, but he/she may be able to provide you a referral to someone in his practice or in his area who does backs. I'd rather have a person who's specialized in one part of the body work on that part of the body than have a generalist who knows a little about a lot of body parts. There's simply too much for a doctor to know about the best practices for different types of surgeries and interventions for different areas of the body. Your back is particularly tricky because of all of the nerves which run down your spine. Your knee is best treated by a specialist because it's a complicated hinge joint that does many specific movements involving a host of muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones. You wouldn't go to an eye doctor to be fitted for a hearing aid, would you?

One thing I'd suggest -- make sure the back doctor you get has hospital privileges at the same place your knee doctor has -- it'll make it easier for them to check on you when you are in the hospital for one part of your body or the other.

Have a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful time at home, dear friend.
 
So glad to hear you are home. Be very careful! When I had back surgery in 2001 I was seen by an ortho and he agreed to do the surgery. I later learned he was a knee specialist but they had no one in the hospital who did just backs. Now most surgeons won't do surgery that is not in their specialty. My back is a mess and I'm sure if I had seen the proper specialist I would be a lot better off. Enjoy the ice cream and the doggie kisses!
 
@SaraJane her name is Madison. My little shadow slept with me in the recliner all night. Hubby didn't want to wake me up so he covered me with my favorite blanket. When I see my OS again I will ask for a referral. (More paperwork). He works with a large ortho goup so maybe someone else can do my back. I think my other knee can wait. My back might take some pressure off it. I will log off and then you can see my dog.:doggie:
 
@louie I found the bathroom! Feeling pretty good now that I can get interrupted sleep . No blood work @5am and quite:loveshwr:
 
@Widget1 I promise to be good. Just some light walking in the house. I have had enough PT to last a lifetime. I have to wear shorts all the time. I still can't have anything touching my knee. I had some nice elastic waist men's shorts I got @ Wal-Mart in the men's department and cheaper than women's and the same as you. I still have some pain and a numb spot. :dogwalk:
 
Katie,

I'm glad that you had a nice restful night of sleep, and that little Madison kept you company!

Aren't you glad that we live in Florida, and can wear shorts throughout the year? My post-TKR daily wardrobe is shorts (except for when I see the doctor, then I wear dress that won't graze my knee).
 
@Pescara, oh I am so glad you found everything! Enjoy being home, take it easy, and I understand that you are putting your knee on hold, and finding out more about your back? Oh I wish you the best, and that you turn out as good as new!! My neighbor just had back surgery, about the same time I had my knee done, and he wears a brace, but walks everyday, and said the pain he was in is gone, and he feels great! :chillpill:
 
@Pescara I'm 11 weeks today and I have a numb area on the right side of the incision. When I was a young teacher I played in a teacher-student basketball game to raise money for scholarship. 17 seconds into the game I turned to get the ball and down I went. I had to be carried off the floor. I ended up having ACL surgery. Well back in 1979 that was a big deal surgery. I have a good 13" of railroad tracks down my left leg and the numbness at the incision has never come back. But you know what, it has never made a difference. So, if this numbness stays it won't bother me either. I just want the pain to go away.

I'll bet Madison hasn't left your side since your return. I know our dog, Sammy, was like that when I came home after only 3 days. That love is so huge!! I'm still wearing shorts as well, even to the doctors. I have arthritis in most of my joints and walking funny has a way of making the rest of your joints want extra attention. My back has been killing me the past couple of days. I know I have bulging discs and a spondylosis disc (where one disc slides on top of another). I'm just hoping I haven't made things worse with all the limping.

Keep us posted with your OS. I, too, would rather have specialists. I had a hand specialist do my hand, a breast specialist for my breast and a knee replacement specialist do this knee. A general knee specialist can do the meniscus but when it came to the implant, I wanted more experience. Enjoy home!
 
I'll bet Madison hasn't left your side since your return. I know our dog, Sammy, was like that when I came home after only 3 days. That love is so huge!! I'm still wearing shorts as well, even to the doctors. I have arthritis in most of my joints and walking funny has a way of making the rest of your joints want extra attention. My back has been killing me the past couple of days. I know I have bulging discs and a spondylosis disc (where one disc slides on top of another). I'm just hoping I haven't made things worse with all the limping.

I have back issues also! My PT checked my pelvis, adjusted it and viola! The pain in my back from walking was gone! Might be worth asking your PT to check yours, too?
 
Thanks @Thesoutherncook I haven't met this PT yet, but you are right, it just might be worth bringing up the other aches and pains that my lovely knee created. Funny, I really do believe it will all be worth it in the end!:SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom