TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SaraJane PS I checked out the site you told me about and nothing in my area. The closest is in Tampa about an hour away..I don't think I can get that far with my knee
 
@Pescara, doing ok, and able to back off on the pain meds just a bit. Able to walk without that awful pain, and just doing that makes my day. Cause having the first knee done, still couldn't walk, my other knee kept saying no no no!
After reading your posts, I think you really got some great advice! This forum is great, and it's nice how everyone helps out!!
 
@Pescara, I sure hope the pt does work for you, at least get relief!
After having my first knee done, my other one went to pot, quickly! My doc said he couldn't do the other for 6 mo after doing the first! So I went to the gym, and under a trainer, he helped me get my knee stronger, and it did help!!
So sending good vibes your way.
 
Today is the first day of PT for my right knee. After reading some of the posts l'm terrified. I have no idea what they are doing. My OS said I have to go to show Blue Cross we have done all options and still hasn't worked. He has me going 2 x a week for 3 months and my next visit with him isn't until November 19th. I don't think I can afford more than 2 months since my insurance won't cover much. I have to pay $100.00 a week
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Went to PT and they left bruises on both my front and back knees. I was in a lot of pain when I left. I had to walk for 35 minutes just to get there. Very confusing place and freezing. I go again on Friday for more. This time I will take a sweater. They couldn't understand why I was there. They said I needed surgery. PT was a waste of money and time. I think it's time to find a new OS. Calgon take me away if I could get in the tub. lol For now ice , couch and pain pills
 
@Pescara - sooooo sorry to hear of your tribulations! :sad:

Did you talk with your OS about getting support for appealing your insurance company? Sounds like you've done enough "other" stuff besides PT to try to resolve your pain issue with your other knee. I never had to go to PT for my knee (though they mentioned it) - but I did have injections (2 types).

Might not be a bad idea to find another OS, get a second opinion and use that as more weight to appeal with the insurance company. Trying to help. Sending hugs in the meantime!! :friends:
 
I need advice: I never saw my OS after surgery and when I was admitted 2 weeks later for a Coumadin allergy I never saw him. Should I find a new OS?
 
@Brauzie I might look for a new OS. He never suggested anything about an appeal. Just said they wouldn't accept TKR. I found out I was way over the limit for cortisone injections.
 
@louie How are you doing? Went to PT today and cried all the way home. They hurt me and left bruises. I am supposed to go back on Friday. Is PT supposed to hurt that much?
 
@Pescara, I am so sorry you had a rough start with pt. I would say no, absolutely not it's not suppose to hurt, only to relieve more or less. And never bruises!
I really think you should look for another ortho, and contact your ins co., and talk to them about surgery on your other knee. I would think, that when you have the one knee done, you would be covered for the other! I sure hope that you could get some results, and I would stop going to pt, and work with ins co, and find a new dr.
You shouldn't have to be in this much pain. I really hope you can get this surgery!!
 
I agree with @louie that PT should never cause bruises, and after PT, a more flexible muscle. You mentioned PT said you should not do PT now, what you need is surgery, is it possible ask them to issue a letter to express this opinion? After that, if find another PT who holds same opinion, then together with letter or prove saying you already hv too many injection so injection is no more useful, and talk to insurance company again? Or wait till you see your new GP see how he think? Just some thought, and hope you can work out a stragedy soon. Hug and best wishes.
 
Sorry your PT session was so hard. Could you get a copy of the Physical Therapist's notes ... hopefully they include their views that PT is not going to do anything for you and that the next step is surgery. Can you go to another orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion? I'm definitely not a fan of the first one if he gave you more cortisone than what's suggested.

Did you happen to check out this link to Hillsborough County Community Resource Centers? There are two outside of Tampa, perhaps one of these is closer to where you live. broken link removed: https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/index.aspx?NID=2324 Also, and I know this is a really, really remote possibility, perhaps there are Dial-A-Ride or Access services provided by the county for people like you to get to their offices.

There's also a Council on Aging: broken link removed: https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/index.aspx?nid=139
 
@Pescara i really sympathize with you as I had my tkr 5 weeks ago and my other knee...the "good" one is acting up...bad boy!
 
Agree with all that say get those words the PT said about needing surgery in writing.
 
Don't feel alone with the energy drain. Goin upstairs to get dressed requires a rest period and I have cooked two meals in 6 weeks. I try to set a goal each day of a task I want to do... Mop the floor, vacuum, change the bed, do laundry. Some days I accomplish it, some the couch calls and I do nothing. I am learning to be very patient and not to overdue. Tomorrow I have a very big day that I am very leery of. I have to go to my work and drop off my computer, then go to PT. my sister wants to have lunch and then go to a very small store for some shopping. I plan to take my ice packs and emergency Percocet in case of complete collapse. Wish me luck and hope I don't pay too much for my revelry the day after.
 
@Pescara , try this link. broken link removed: https://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/CompareCare/CompareFacilities.aspx
Look up orthopedic surgeons by name.

I am so sorry you are going through this. The OS I originally saw made the comment "you're not there yet" meaning my knee was not bad enough. I found another doctor, a much more experienced doctor and I'm now scheduled for LTKR with right to follow later.

Check out that list! :friends:
 
@Third joint please take it easy. You are still in the baby stage. Sorry but it sounds like you are going to over due. Welcome to the "over did it club" lol. The dust and bed and floors will be there tomorrow. Happy to hear you have a plan. Most forget about ice and pain meds. PT always has ice packs if you need them and they can make you one to take with you. Let me know how your day went. :dogwalk:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom