THR Peggy's Progess: 07 Jan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping tomorrow is a good day for you Peggy..,,,. As each week moves on you will have more good days than bad....Chrissie x
 
You will do ok, Peggy. There are always ups and downs - I've had days I was so happy with my progress followed by a day I had to do very little and cried half the day because it seemed like a setback. Finally turned much better at 3.5 weeks - I am now one day into my fifth week and can't wait for the end of six so I have my appointment and hopefully no more worrying about restrictions.
 
Sending good thought your way for better days ahead Peggy. Keep posting as we look forward to hearing from you. Judy
 
Peggy, the pain and stiffness at one week is to be expected....but it is quite possible that you aren't getting an optimal dose of pain medication. If your meds says take one or two, every 4-6 hours, at this stage it should still be taking two every 4 hours. Once you're pretty comfortable on that schedule, you can start to VERY slowly tweak the time and/or dose; just one little change at a time.

If that's not the situation...you are timing and dosing at what is fully allowed, then it could be the particular med isn't strong enough, or you might need a combo that works better for you. If you want to post what you are taking, how much and how often, we can ask Jo to take a look and make recommendations.

Sharon
 
@sharonslp. Today was much better than yesterday. Was able to take a very short walk outside and did some exercises. I was prescribed 10mg oxycodone every 3 hours as needed. I was taking 10mg every 4 to 7 hours before today based on how I felt. I had a discussion with one of my case nurses and she suggested that I split the pills and take 5mg every 3 hours today on a consistent basis and see if that helped. I think it did help, however by 7:00pm tonight I felt really sore and stiff again so I took a whole pill. It's calming down now and I'm going to continue taking 5mg every 3 hrs unless @Josephine thinks otherwise. :)
I think this is just the nature of the beast...good days and bad...just like life! Other than pain, I am amazed that I had a brand new hip installed only 8 days ago! ;)
P.S. I am also using ice and elevating.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello my friends. It is now 11 days post op for me. I am still using the walker. My thigh hurts if I don't but it is getting better. I need it for balance as well. Still taking pain meds but now taking it every 5 hours instead of three. I'm not splitting them in half either because the pain eventually breaks thru so I don't think I was ready to do that yet. Will try again next week. Trying not to worry too much about the meds because I definitely need them in order to move and walk. I take afternoon naps that feel sooooo good. In fact my sleep in general feels so satisfying. My incision makes it difficult to sit too long. I had posterior approach. I do light housework. Load washer. Fold laundry. Am able to shower and wash hair at same time!! All in all I'm feeling better each day. Love to all my angels out there and sending healing thoughts your way. Peggy xoxo
 
Peggy, sounds like you are doing great - you 'll get there - I had anterio- lateral do a little easier to sit but otherwise similar. Over about another 10 days you 'll see a huge improvement !
 
Glad to hear all going well Peggy @Madowa...great news...hope you go from strength to strength...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well, today is exactly 2 weeks post op and I am feeling really good. I still use the walker most of the time but try to use the cane when I can. Doing light physical therapy 2 x a day. Can go up and down the stairs (13 of them) as needed. It is much easier to get in and out of bed or couch. I'm taking 10mg oxycodone every 6 to 8 hours. Last night I went 12 hours without it so that makes me happy! I want to wean off of it now because of the side effects...I like to be "regular" if you know what I mean... ;). The incision feels good..a little itchy sometimes, but well on its way to being healed. I truly think that by next week, I'll be ever better! My main concern/worry is weaning off of the oxy while keeping the pain monster under control. This will be my focus in the coming weeks. Don't want to experience any withdrawal issues as I've been on it for 2 weeks now.
I haven't had any depression issues this past week thank goodness. All in all I think I'm doing pretty good. Sending love to all my Bonesmart angels! :). Xo Peggy
 
Try cutting down to 1.5 tablets every 6-8 hours. Then if that does it and you are stretching it, go to 1 tablet but back to closer together and so on - there is a suggested protocol like this on bonesmart too. Don't try to go TOO fast though - I found it really got better around 3-3.5 weeks but be aware there might be down days or hard days if you overdo also... sounds like you are doing great so far!
 
Still awaiting results of urinalysis to see if UTI is gone. May know something by tonight. You sound like you're doing ok!
 
Hi Peggy @Madowa. You are going great guns....so pleased for you..every day gets a little better, each week brings better things. Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom