THR Peggy's Progess: 07 Jan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing..frozen peas really do make great ice packs! My outer thigh is swollen and it really does help to ice.
 
@Madowa You can really get in/out of bed yourself? I'm very impressed... it's one of the things I've been afraid I won't be able to do. Maybe because I'm older & overweight.

I like your suggestion to "close my eyes & jump". It's true. I'm prepared AND there was never really a choice since this hip started up around April. It just steadily worsened... pretty fast. I didn't have good/bad days, unlike some of you. And now my body is out of whack... tilted... lopsided. Closing my eyes & just going for it -- it's gotta be better! Thanks, Peggy. Keep up the good recovery... Hanging on your every word.
 
@shrinkette getting in and out of bed surprised me too. The hardest part was moving/lifting the operated leg. I was going to try using a leg lifter but was able to do it on my own this morning, much to my surprise. I still haven't attempted to go up and down the stairs yet as there are 13 of them. Physical therapy is coming on Monday. I figure I'll wait until then to try.
 
Oh and I am overweight too. It's tough on the arms but you may surprise yourself, too.
 
@shrinkette, you are brave and you will be fine! I hope you come back to let us know how it's going after your surgery - I'm looking forward to your telling us how well it's going :) I am scheduled for the 29th and by then you'll be feeling soooo much better!
 
@Madowa Sounds like you are doing very nicely and managing the pain control too. fabulous. Have to tell you and I know you won't believe it yet, but going up and down stairs is a doddle! Once your PT shows you how you don't believe how simple it is. I chose to sleep upstairs from day 1 on my OT's advice and had no trouble at all. Once you've got over the fact that your leg feels like a log when getting out of bed it's much easier to do it. Every day it gets easier and easier. Soo glad the peas are working for you...I've not used anything else.... Have to be careful when I'm making my pea and ham soup though!! Keep up the good work, you are so helping all of the pre op hippies. Wish I had found BS pre op..what an advantage. Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Peggy, you're right on track! I was surprised that stairs were not as bad as I had thought they would be - but having arm strength helps... The leg in and out of bed was the hardest at first - had to have help lifting it or I would just pull up on my pants about at the knee and help it up. Some days later I was surprised to see I was just lifting it! It's not a straight line - there are ups and downs but basically it keeps getting better and easier.
 
Hope you continue to improve! I didn't know there was such thing as a leg lifter. What a great idea! I used my unoperated leg (left) to lift my operated leg. I slipped my left foot under the right ankle and lifted. It worked well getting my leg in and out of the leg bending machine -- whatever it's called -- it was way too tall for me to lift my leg unaided.
I'm old and fat and still made it through all we have to go through. It's rough but this forum has eased many of my fears and concerns. So glad you found it.
All the best to you.
Betty


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Well done @Madowa, you are progressing nicely, the stairs will happen.

Lots of members use the belt of a dressing gown as a lassoo, I tried it in hospital in front of the PT and it worked a treat :)
 
@Madowa , you sound like you are doing great. PT will help you with those stairs. They are much easier than you think - and no longer painful! Keep up the icing and resting. You are doing great!
 
Stair report.....piece of cake! Can't believe I was apprehensive! It will be so nice to sleep in a real bed tonight. Moving around more easily today. Was able to get my own meals. Pain is very easily managed. Hasn't been over a 3 today. (Maybe when I walk it went up a bit.). Happy day!
 
That's super! I really can't do stairs now because (1) my surgery hip cannot rise high enough to be put on a typical step or even curb & probably has little strength at this point, and (2) my "good" hip is already quite arthritic and, while I can step up on lower steps, it also lacks some strength. This was the leg that had knee surgery & we were working on steps when the new hip problem started appearing.

Meanwhile, check out my pre-op thread... I may have to postpone op.

Absolutely wonderful knowing how well you're doing. So proud of you.
 
One week post surgery and I have to say that today was not a great day. I was very stiff and have pain in the op leg. Trying to take the pain meds on a consistent schedule. Didn't walk around too much today because of stiffness. Bandage came off today but as the nurse took it off, I got woozy and threw up. So that, added to my stiffness, didn't spell fun for me. Hoping tomorrow is better. Pt is coming at 11:30am so hopefully, he can get me moving. Keeping my chin up! Peggy
 
Awww, Peggy. Guess this is the "one step forward, two steps backwards" they talk about. Or is it the other way around? They say it gets better... Gotta believe you'll get there. You will, my sweet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom