THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

Great news @pkuznets. The report was interesting. Curious, which yoga poses are off limits?

Good luck with return to work and everything else!
 
Also curious if anyone ever felt interested in seeing a photo of their deteriorated hip?
It seems kind of gross but I've heard time and again the OS tells the patient afterward, "It was really bad."
I want to see "really bad" possibly not mine but someone else's "really bad".
Guess who's going a Googling right now......
 
@pkuznets congrats on your great recovery! The op reports are interesting, it's impressive that your surgeon handed you a copy along with the implant serial no's. He sounds very organized and transparent.

@Layla I had to fill out a request form to get op reports for both thrs from the hospital, no fee. They gave me a choice of a brief report or the long version -which I wanted- plus there's an implant report page that lists all implanted parts with the sticky barcodes attached. They also put it on a dvd for me. Items were missing in my implant report and I had to be rather diligent about getting it corrected.

I too wanted to see the femoral head or get a photo but it wasn't allowed. Wanted to see what OA looked like and why it caused so much pain. There was a member here who asked OS for a look and he took her request quite literally. He briefly woke her up during surgery and showed her the femoral head :yikes:
 
Last edited:
I'm in agreement with you @Horseshoe in regard to @pkuznets OS. She's fortunate.
I intend to call my OS's office tomorrow and ask for a copy.
Thank you for your input.
 
@pkuznets. So happy to read that you’re doing so well with your recovery. Thank you for sharing a snippet of your report. VERY interesting! I am also curious which 2 yoga poses you are to refrain from


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
my OS said these types of poses would be ones to avoid for at least 6 months (remember, my [Bonesmart.org] Patrikya’s THR recovery journey [Bonesmart.org] Patrikya’s THR recovery journey surgery was performed using anterior approach, so my restrictions are minimal)
 
Out of curiosity, how many weeks did you continue to ice your hip/thigh area? I’m at 3.5 weeks and find it useful several times per day. Physiologically, am I still benefiting from icing, or is it all in my head at this point?
 
Those 2 poses make sense. I was thinking one would be pigeon but guess they're only worried about anterior dislocation with anterior surgical approach. Mine didn't restrict me, but it was probably about 6 months after first THR before I could do full pigeon again. Right now, I'm just trying to stretch out with figure 4 and any sitting cross-legged.
 
Wow!! Love it! My OS will be getting it to me. All I can say is...:holysheep:. the part about the mallet made me gulp. But, I really really appreciate you posting your report.
 
Yesterday was my first day back at work (4 wks Post-op)—here’s what it was like:

Well, fortunately for me, I found parking close to the building I am teaching in, so that was a relief before and afterwards. But within 10 minutes of standing up in front of college students explaining the course, reviewing protocol,demonstrating the way the online platform portion of the course works, calling roll and adding students waiting to take the class and so on, I felt increasingly weak and exceptionally vulnerable! I thought to myself “maybe this wasn’t such a great idea after all!” Ironically, my hip felt okay; it was my MIND that felt like it was struggling in 2nd gear. The first hour exhausted me...yet I had 4 more to go!

My overall impressions from my first day include huge internal applause for how fabulous my hip felt considering I was on my feet or walking for MOST of that time! There was never anything that resembled pain; however, I did sense stiffness as the day wore on. The 10 minute drive home from work felt like an hour, and I wanted to hurry home and get my little dogs greeted, piddled, and fed so that I could put my jammies on and ice/elevate my leg and take a half of a pain pill with some Tylenol. Let me just say that ICE is the savior of my life when it comes to hip replacement!

As I lounged in my warm bed this morning, putting off getting the day started, I wondered what my hip would feel like when I stood up. Did yesterday set me back? Am I going to feel even more stiffnees today? Will I actually feel pain as a payback for going to work so soon? Guess what? My hip felt great! It wasn’t any worse for the wear! My overall impression is that my mind and my energy levels are not nearly as recovered as my hip is! I’ve got three more days til my weekend when I can lounge around and rest and recuperate. Hopefully, my mind holds up til then ;)
 
Last edited:
Great news! Much better than my first day back (but it was earlier, longer and I'm more desk bound). I also still find that my levels of concentration and memory aren't what they were before surgery. I don't remember this from the first THR but it may just be one of the many things I forgot after it.
 
Wonderful news about not hurting after the first day. I go back to the office next Monday. Next Tuesday is a big test, an all-day meeting across town (1-1/2 hour drive each way, leaving home at 5:30 A. M.) followed by a team dinner that night. I may skip the dinner because it would mean starting the drive back at 9 PM and I am not sure that I can drive that late. Ordered a memory foam cushion for the car seat to try to make the drive less painful on the sitting parts (posterior THR). It is going to take a lot of coffee to survive next week.
 
I also still find that my levels of concentration and memory aren't what they were before surgery.

Im so glad to know it’s not just me and my aging brain! For some reason, the capacity of my mental energy didn’t even cross my mind when I thought about going back to work! All I was thinking about was whether my hip would be okay!
 
Hi @pkuznets
Its wonderful you made it through your first day without that nuisance pain that became so familiar to us all.
I've read here about concentration levels and memory not being as keen this early into recovery.
You're in good company in that regard.
Here's a guideline regarding a phased return to work in case you haven't read it.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/
Wishing you a great week!
 
Really pleased that your first day back went so well. I’m sure the rest of the week will be the same for you :flwrysmile:
 
Interesting posts @pkuznets and @SaraK about being back at work. Must admit my attitude has somewhat changed. I work from home and as desk is only 25 steps from bed I was doing little bits of work quite early on. Little bits - and using the excuse that it was not good to sit to long, I would only have say 15 mins then leave the desk. I'm now 7 weeks since the op and should really be doing more work (it's our own business) but now that my hip is great I sort of don't wanna work much now. So many other things I'd rather be doing. Hip says I can sit at my desk but head says no no no. I'm coming up to retiring in say the next 12 months so this might just happen a bit earlier than planned. Thank you Hip Thank you surgeon. Definately a life changer this THR business.
 
Thanks to no morphine, I was answering emails on my phone at the hospital the day of the surgery. I have slowly ramped up my work from home in preparation to go back to the office next week. I want to be like @pkuznets and feel great the day after going back. I love my job, I just wish that I could work from home at least part of the time.
 
I'm so happy to hear your first day back went so well! It sure seems like your recovery has gone so well for you. I also had the anterior approach and am on day 12. When did you incision area pain go away? I don't have hip pain when I'm laying or sitting down, but still have some when ambulating. I'm trying to use the cane more, but do find it a bit awkward..sometimes kick it as I walk! Anyways, kudos to you!!
 
@jlsotr I had issues with the cane at first, tripped over it twice. I had the PT look at me walking with the cane and she gave me a tip. She said to swing the cane with your good foot, placing it outside and ahead of the good foot, and then step with the bad foot. She said that you cannot have it too close to your foot or just ahead of it or you will trip. Seems logical when you think about it.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom