THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

Ohhh. I’m feeling so sorry for you right now. I wish I were there to come and just hang out and compare notes or watch some good shows. If you have Netflix, you might like The Marvelous Mrs. Maziel. It’s pretty good. I’ve been reading a lot, but sitting in one position is a “pain”. I’m sure your son and family will understand. You’ll be back at the beach soon. I’m sort of dreading putting on a swim suit with this scar. . Take care.
 
Hi Patrykia,
I am so sorry you're feeling blue.

Okay....let me take a stab at this sorting out biz.
1) It's difficult to be in the Christmas spirit when you've just experienced major surgery.
Your leg was cut, then there was hammering, drilling, sawing.....therefore pain.
Pain is draining causing discomfort and fatigue. I don't think any of us feel in the "spirit" to do much of anything when feeling like that. You have an excuse and reason for not shopping and decorating. Major surgery...as well as and the prep and recovery that goes along with it. I'm not into social media Snap, Insta, FB. It's great for many, just not me. FB is full of people portraying "the perfect life, with the perfect marriage, with the perfect kids" etc. Very Often Dramatized!

You are safest in your home right now as people are out scurrying aimlessly in the malls and impatient on the roads in a last ditch effort to tie up shopping. You're taking care of yourself. If you normally like being alone, you're not liking it now because you're feeling trapped in your recovery. We are somewhat, only for a time, due to limitations. It will pass.

2) Please don't consider driving while on narcotics and before you are released to drive. Not being allowed to drive is most frustrating because it causes that trapped feeling. I was chomping at the bit to drive. Then when my OS told me I could.....I didn't drive for days! It was the "no driving allowed" that made me want to drive the most :heehee: I had my right hip replaced and was given permission at three weeks as I was off the drugs.

Consider finding someone to purchase the pies for you, or someone to bring them instead of you if that's a possibility. Who wouldn't understand given your condition.

I found applying make up and doing my hair actually made me feel better. It took me days to try it and it was a modified version, not what I jokingly refer to as "full drag".....but it boosted my mood. You may find putting on a nice outfit with hair and make up to be rather enjoyable. Try it!

3) How about a picnic at the beach, on stable ground? Your son, dil and grandkids love you, they'll understand. They just want to see and be with you!

Please don't feel like you're blowing things out of proportion, you're just struggling a bit emotionally, as so many of us have and it will pass. I realize this isn't your first replacement and I'll bet if you think back you experienced some blue moods then too.

Warm wishes for peace of mind and a relaxing day. Things may even look brighter by tomorrow.
Sending a hug and healing thoughts your way. Hope you feel better soon!
 
Just in case...The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is on Amazon Prime if you can get it. We are on the way to Mass right now. We’re Catholic and this year is complicated since Christmas falls on Monday. I’m going to offer prayers :praying: for you and your family to enjoy your time together. I miss our son and his wife. This is the first year ever that we won’t be together at Christmas. . They are the ones in California!!
 
Meh. Sorry you’re feeling like this. I echo a lot of what Layla said. I remember a bit before the time you’re at (posterior approach) and having a huge argument with youngest son over a pizza box. We don’t argue, we discuss, so he was shocked to see his mother with unmatching, too big, sweats and bedhead at 7pm yelling like a madwoman. Over the fact he said he’d throw the pizza box out in a minute and I wanted it done right away.

I was not myself, I hurt, I was tired and just sick of everything! He stayed silent while his she-devil mother behaved crazily. I cried when I apologized. He forgave me.

He lives on his own now but told me post-op he won’t visit if we’re having pizza. :heehee:

We all get out of sorts during recovery. Some worse than others. Hang in there. It will get better.
 
Hi @pkuznets

Hi Patrykia,
Just stopped by to say Hi!
Wondering how you're doing and how your holiday went.
I hope things are looking up and the post op blues have disappeared.
Warm wishes for a great holiday weekend and a happy healthy 2018!
 
Hi Patrikya

So sorry you were having a bout of the blues while being alone. I really feel for you. Hopefully you’re feeling better after having your family around.

I did feel some of-those blues on day 4 when my family went to work. I still can’t put my compression sock on my left leg so I have to be sure and shower when someone is home. Luckily I finished almost all my Christmas shopping before surgery on 12/7. I set in my mind that this Christmas will have to take back stage to my recovery process and my primary focus is my recovery. So do NOT feel bad if you have to be a little selfish about recovery.

I certainly understand your dog problem because I too have a dog issue. 5 dogs! [emoji51][emoji51]. 2 big ones and 3 shih tzus. one is a Queensland. She’s a jumper! It’s 30 degrees here at night so we have to bring them in where they sleep in crates. In the morning they sleep in and refuse to get out of their crates. Which leaves me to have to let them out. The first 8 days they just had to be put out at 5 am (still 30 degrees out). After that I carried my cane on my left side to keep them away from my leg. My jumper was deathly afraid of that cane so it worked out well. My 2nd big dog seems to sense something wrong with me and stays away from my leg. She’s a super sweet and smart dog. I just can’t imagine having the responsibility of walking them.

Nonetheless, I hope your recovery is going well and on track. In the meantime .... avoid social media! It has a tendency to make you feel a little depressed while you’re crossing your own personal hurdle. Good luck and happy New year to you


Sent from my iPad
[Bonesmart.org] Patrikya’s THR recovery journey
using Tapatalk
 
Checking in. @pkuznets. You probably are still visiting with family. I hope you had a good time and someone figured out the pies! I had my 4 week check. All was good. Yay. Did you have stitches and glue for your incision? I’m having a hard time getting off the glue. It creeps me out to pull it off in pieces. Day by day in everything I guess. I drove today!! That felt good to have some freedom. Hope you are off of the narcos so you can get behind the wheel soon.
 
3 weeks and I keep forgetting I had a hip replacement!

Yesterday marked exactly 21 days since my THR (anterior), and I couldn’t be happier with my progress. Something happened to me, mentally, between week 2 and 3 ....and I don’t mean Christmas and New Years! As I rounded out week 2 post-surgery, my world started getting bigger or more-right-sized again. Instead of thinking about every step and My New Hip or whether I took meds or iced again or whether my energy would last the full day without a nap, I started thinking about my own future plans both short term and long term. I picked up my computer and started revising my curriculum for Winter quarter. I perused paint-color ideas for ways I want to paint my kitchen in a few months; I blocked off areas of my calendar and started to jot down ideas for when my daughter comes to visit in Feb (first time without her hubs or any of their kiddos!); I installed some Smart technology in my home all by myself!

I guess what I’m saying is that hip pain and then hip replacement surgery planning and recovery take over our entire personal UNIVERSE for so long that thinking about other aspects and opportunities in life seems almost foreign—until one day, it doesn’t. The noticeable absence of grinding arthritis pain combined with the light at the end of the surgery-tunnel create a new outlook on a bigger, more can-do life.
2018, you are looking GOOD!
 
:goodpost: @pkuznets

Hi Patrikya,
You sound well....happy, content and hopeful.
Warm wishes for a wonderful year full of fulfilled dreams!
 
I guess what I’m saying is that hip pain and then hip replacement surgery planning and recovery take over our entire personal UNIVERSE for so long that thinking about other aspects and opportunities in life seems almost foreign—until one day, it doesn’t. The noticeable absence of grinding arthritis pain combined with the light at the end of the surgery-tunnel create a new outlook on a bigger, more can-do life.
2018, you are looking GOOD!
@pkuznets this is so true !! I am so pleased your recovery has gone well. I so hope I can feel the same as this in a few months time. All the best for a great 'new life'
 
Hi @pkuznets - Layla asked me to change your thread title, so I've done that.

If you want another change, just post the request in your thread and it will be done.
 
Wonderful update @pkuznets. This process is all about getting our lives back. It is wonderful when our first thought is no longer “what about my hip.” Nice plans!
 
Hi @pkuznets! You sound great! It’s like a bonesmart friend’s husband said, “you’re her doppelgänger”! I think our recoveries are mirrors. Same bit of down and now ready to make plans. I loose you on painting though. My plan is getting ready to take care of hubby. His knee replacement surgery is tomorrow. We are all ready.

How wonderful to be planning ahead for a mother/daughter time. Grandkids are wonderful but your daughter is “your” kid and it’s fun to have that time together.

Your post was very well written. English prof by chance? Thank you for posting. It gives others, especially those anticipating an anterior, much hope.

How’s your scar looking? Mine is better with the bioOil.
 
How’s your scar looking? Mine is better with the bioOil.

My scar is not very pretty! It looks like someone found a holey old sock, flapped the hole closed, and sewed it up! My first post-op appointment is tomorrow, so I’m eager to see what my OS thinks of it. I used bio-oil on my veryfirst THR (it was posterior)incision in 2009 , and that scar is more of an indentation than an actual scar. I guess it’s a small price to pay, right?
 
I hear you!! No bikini....well never did, but I do wear a swimsuit. You’re right. I’ll be happy to get in the water and do a whip kick. :swim:
 
Well, had my 3 week (well, 3 weeks, 2 days) post-op appointment today and saw my X-rays—what a strange sensation that was! Also, my OS gave me a copy of his surgery report (5 pages in length) as well as the manufacturer serial numbers for all of the mechanical piece-parts. Besides all the details in his report, I was struck by the reality that, in 1 hour and 16 minutes of surgery, this orthopedist essentially gave me back my quality of life! Talk about humbling! Here are the questions I asked him—along with the answers:
1. Q.When can I go back to yoga?
A. Today (with the exception of 2 poses)
2. Q.Can I sleep on the operated side?
A. Yes
3. Q. Can I go back to my teaching job on Monday the 8th
A. Absolutely
4. Q. Can I rub bio-oil on my scar
A. Sure, but you don’t need to do anything; it will smooth-out on its own.

Finally, I’ve added a pic of one small section of the surgery report with the startling (to me, anyway) words and phrases noted. I’m not one to watch YouTube videos of surgeries; in fact, I’ll admit I felt queasy just reading the details in the report! I’m rather stunned that we recover as quickly as we do—the amount of “work” done on us is nothing short of amazing.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Patrikya’s THR recovery journey
    4F98EE73-1F90-4E22-9400-ED6A4069B7FC.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 260
Hi @pkuznets
Great news, sounds like all went well today!
Just curious...did you request a copy of your surgery report, or does your OS automatically provide it?
My mom received one after her THR 8 yrs ago. I went through the same orthopedic group as my mom for my THR but a different surgeon. I was never offered a copy but I'd like one for my personal records.
Curious if any others who read this would respond as to whether they received a detailed report as Patrikya did....
 
@Layla
My OS said it’s his personal policy to provide patients with a detailed report, including the serial numbers of the parts he installed. However, my OS who performed my first THR 8 years ago did not supply me with a report or serial numbers.
 
I didn't get the report automatically but did get both after first THR when I asked for info on implant for my reecord. My favorite word was "impacted" - surgeon speak for "I bet the heck out of it"
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom