THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

Hi Patrikya,
Bet you had a cute little hop to your step in those boots too. :wink:
Good for you, back to living in sassy boots.
Love it! :egypdance:
@pkuznets
 
@pkuznets, since you are 2 1/2 weeks ahead of me following an anterior approach, just wondering if you could tell me when numbness went away on the outside of your incision (laterally) or do you still have some?
 
It took quite some months before numbness went away...replaced by holly prickles and a few zings and zaps!
I wondered if I would have some permanent nerve damage but all is alive and well! Sensitivity continues, but mostly all good at 8 months out from anterior.
 
I still have a numb spot but it has steadily decreased in size.
 
Hi Patrikya,
I recall feeling that numbness in different areas for months.
It takes awhile for all those nerves to re-generate. Slowly but surely.
Hope you have a great weekend!
@pkuznets
 
Eeeek! I think my hip dislocated or subluxated yesterday!

I had anterior approach on Dec 11 and don’t have any real restrictions as such. I’ve been recovering really well, including returning to yoga (with modified, careful poses). Yesterday at home, I semi-crouched down to pick up my dogs’ water bowl and my hip felt like it popped out and back in. I heard and felt a popping noise/sensation. I thought for sure it was out of joint or something but I was able to stand up slowly and the hip moved into its place. Let me say that the pain I felt was absolute sheer AGONY; it was not just startling but excruciating. In fact, it was so intense that I instantaneously became light-headed and feared I was going to pass out! I started crying (I live alone) and well, more like panic-stricken-wimpering because (a) my new hip just painfully freaked me out and (b) I needed to be at my teaching job in 1 hour! I didn’t know what to do, so I immediately iced my hip and gulped down a pain pill. I sat on my couch in utter disbelief with ice packs on my hip. A million “what if’s” were swirling through my head (and still are).

After icing, I cautiously went to work but tried not to do more than merely walk to and from class and taught my classes from a seated position. Upon returning home after dark, the pain, although lessened, persisted all night, enough that I took another pain med so I could sleep.

This morning, my range of motion feels severely-restricted and my hip feels very stiff with a subtle throbbing in the background. The pain is present, but today it feels more like sharp discomfort from a hard workout more than pain. I am scared to death this will happen again and now I’ve lost confidence in my hip! I put in a call to my OS’s assistant early this am and left her a message. She is really good about getting back to me and I feel certain she will contact my doctor when she has the chance.

As you all know from my signature, I had my first hip replaced (posterior) 8 years ago. I have never had any problems with it seriously popping let alone feeling like it dislocated or subluxed.

Is this something that might happen again?
Is it a defect in the prosthetics?
In the surgical procedure itself?
Are my muscles and tissues just not strong enough yet to hold the joint in place?
Have the tissues and muscles now been injured by the subluxing?
Most importantly, what is the protocol I should be looking at with my OS as I move forward though this event?

Looking forward to your suggestions....also, I will update with news from my OS’s office.
Patrikya
 
I can't say Re whether dislocation, subluxation or maybe muscle or tendon caught. Also not sure Re protocol for subluxation with hip but have son with hypermobile joints. He's had a couple of subluxation of shoulder (once in the middle of the 200 butterfly at a competition). "Cure" included rest for 2 weeks and some PT to build up smaller muscles in shoulder. The more it happens, though, we've been told, could lead to surgery to tighten things in shoulder.

hopefully you'll hear back soon but i think you're doing the right things for now.
 
Wow, that had to have been so scary for you! I hope you hear back quickly from the OS office.
 
Oh @Patrikya I'm so sorry. Not only for the pain but the fear!
I understand your concern and since this isn't your first replacement
it's obvious "whatever" happened yesterday would be of concern.
Hopefully your OS's office gets back to you soon but in the event that they don't
I've tagged @Josephine to offer you some wisdom or words of encouragement.
Prayers all is okay.
 
Oh dear, how utterly frightening! Please let us know what your OS says. I read somewhere on the forum this happening to someone else and Josephine reassured them if it was truly dislocated you would not be able to walk. Perhaps it's muscular and that could cause extreme pain as well. We all anxiously await an update! ((Hugs))
 
Yesterday at home, I semi-crouched down to pick up my dogs’ water bowl and my hip felt like it popped out and back in.
Well that was a silly thing to do at only 6½ weeks out!
This morning, my range of motion feels severely-restricted and my hip feels very stiff with a subtle throbbing in the background.
That would be expected as the local muscles and soft tissue would have been stretched and sprained.
Is this something that might happen again?
It might well
Is it a defect in the prosthetics?
Definitely not
In the surgical procedure itself?
Again, maybe, maybe not
Are my muscles and tissues just not strong enough yet to hold the joint in place?
That's rather like one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions!
Have the tissues and muscles now been injured by the subluxing?
Not seriously but as I said before, they have probably been stretched and sprained in the event which is why it hurt so much
Most importantly, what is the protocol I should be looking at with my OS as I move forward though this event?
You hip needs to be thoroughly examined with xrays and MRI scans to see if the implants are in the correct alignment as the cause of subluxations and dislocations is almost always because the cup and/or the femoral prosthesis is poorly aligned. If this be the case, you may be looking at a revision sometime soon.
 
Thanks everyone for your concern and your input--my OS is going to fit me into his schedule this afternoon for a consultation. Should I ask him to authorize an MRI if he doesn't suggest it? Is that within my "rights" as both a patient and a consumer?
Patrikya
 
I would hope he'd do whatever you needed to feel reassured. Enabling you to regain confidence in your new hip will play a major role in what you do and how you progress going forward.
 
Thinking of you this afternoon, Patrikya
I agree with Sara IF you feel you may wonder with every click or pain if all is properly aligned.
Hopefully your pain is lessening and you feel confident in your OS's diagnosis.
If your OS doesn't feel an MRI is in order I'd ask how he can assure
that the implant is in alignment as Jo mentioned.
Prayer going up that all is ok :prayer: please keep in touch...
@pkuznets
 
Oh gracious, Patriyka.
You certainly need to get them to see what's going on with the proper imaging.
Try not to project until you know what is going on.
 
UPDATE
Well, my OS took new X-rays and compared them to the ones taken a few weeks ago. He said everything still looks really good, but, based on my description of the event, said he was going to put the diagnosis subluxation in his notes. He also felt that, perhaps, the popping might have been muscles “snapping” (or the IT band?). His suggestion was for me to back off yoga and any over-taxing activity for 6 weeks. He said he sees this occurrence as a set-back in my hip’s recovery and that I need to give the muscles and tissues time to repair themselves. He said I should stick with walking and maybe incorporate a stationary bike into my fitness routine instead of the mind-body practice I’m accustomed to. I asked him if he felt I could trust my new hip, and he said emphatically “Absolutely.” I’m supposed to go back and see him in 7 weeks for a follow-up.

I didn’t ask my OS for an order for an MRI, but I have an appt with my family practice doctor for a separate minor medical issue next week. Do you think I can ask my General Practice doctor to order the MRI, or should I keep that request in the hands of my OS?

For now, I feel tentatively relieved but not confident that this subluxation was a one-time occurrence. Any suggestions on ways to build confidence without putting my head in the sand?
Patrikya
 
His suggestion was for me to back off yoga and any over-taxing activity for 6 weeks. He said he sees this occurrence as a set-back in my hip’s recovery and that I need to give the muscles and tissues time to repair themselves. He said I should stick with walking
I think that is exactly what you should do.
Patience will be needed.
Want all the best for you!
 
I'm so sorry to hear about this. However, I think you should trust his recommendations about slowing down a bit. Hopefully that will allow your hip to get stronger so you can go back at it after 6 weeks. I would guess the MRI should come from the OS. However if you have continued concerns a few weeks out, perhaps you could inquire if that might not provide additional information. I know how important yoga is to you, and for that I'm even more sorry for the setback. Perhaps incorporating mindfulness practices or meditation might be a reasonable substitute? Take care.
 
Hi Patrikya,
Your OS sounds thorough and as though he can be trusted. He took an x-ray, tentatively diagnosed the issue,
gave you restrictions, assured you the hip was sound and wants to follow up. I would try to put my faith in that right now unless you feel strongly led to further investigate this. I'm not sure, but I feel your GP would refer you to your OS for anything joint replacement related.

I'd follow your OS's restrictions to the letter and if you're not feeling any improvement soon I'd touch base with the OS again. Please try not to worry. I understand easier said than done, but I'll bet you soon find relief with rest and some personal TLC.
Sending a hug and warm wishes for a peaceful night!

@pkuznets
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom