THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

If you get the MRI ordered by your GP and it finds "something", you will be faced with returning to the OS with the findings. How do you think he will feel that you asked your GP for an MRI order? I think you know the answer. The good thing is the new xray showed nothing wrong with the prothesis. If what you have is muscular or tissue related it will take time to heal. I would cut back your activity as he suggested and wait for your 7 week followup. If the pain is still there, "ASK" the OS if an MRI would be "helpful". :wink: (that's my two cents) :heehee:
 
Woke up today, and my hip is still very tight and feels internally-bruised from whatever happened the other day. I’m going to follow my OS’s (and my peeps here on BoneSmart) suggestions and dial it back a bit on my yoga practice.
I’m in this hip recovery thing for the long haul!
Thanks all, for your words of wisdom and comfort :angel:
 
Hopefully it was just a little blip in your recovery and you'll be back to what you love after a few weeks of taking it easy.
 
We want you to be all good.
I think most of us had to figure out how far we could go..
Someone told me early on..

Just because you can
Doesn't mean you should.
:good-bad:
Hope all eases soon!
 
Hi Patrikya,

@pkuznets I am so sorry that this happened to you. Please take it easy for the next 6 weeks as directed. I am trying not to do too much. Reaching for my beloved dog's bowls is something that I have found myself doing and stopping several times. It is hard not to do something that you have always been able to do. Is there any way that you can get someone to come once a day to help you with things like that?
 
@Dive17
My OS was perplexed :scratch: with my subluxation because with anterior approach, there supposedly would be no way the hip could dislocate simply by reaching down for an item on the ground. During my recent appointment, he demonstrated for me some very extreme postures that would be problematic—none of which I’ve ever even come close to doing. I’m taking it easy and just being far more cautious in general, but thank you for the suggestion about seeking help.
I see we both share Dec 11 as our surgery dates. How are you doing in recovery? Saying goodbye to chronic pain and immobility is surely the gift that keeps on giving :flwrysmile:
Patrikya
 
Hi Patrikya,

December 11 was a good day for both of us. I had the posterior lateral approach, so the risk of dislocation is higher. I am being extremely careful and will probably not try to pick up things unaided for 3 months. The pain is much better, only 2-3 on the scale unless I have a long day at work, a 2-hr drive in traffic or go to PT. The thigh and knee bother me more than the hip. The good thing is that I had low expectations. It took about 6 months after my RTKR in December 2015 to feel normal, so I expect that it will be summer before the soreness goes away this time. I have not taken any pain killers, not even Tylenol, since week 2 and that is a vast improvement from where I was before the THR. I had two very experienced surgeons look at my hip (different offices, additional X-rays) and say that it was the worst hip they had ever seen, so I started at rock bottom with a lot of pain, barely walking on pure guts. There is no place to go but up :) :-) (: Success will be when I can golf, go to the gym, and do chair yoga again and just be sore after the activity. Let's stay positive, this too shall pass.

Diana
 
Hi Patrikya,
I hope your pain is easing some and continually
improving. Set backs are no fun. Thankfully it wasn't
more serious. Hopefully it's tolerable enough that you're
able to continue working.
Wishing you a great week!
@pkuznets
 
@Layla
Thanks for checking-in with me. Yes, stiffness is receding and my normal bounce in my step returning. I’ve become much more conscious of treating my recovery with respect and not trying to rush it :good-bad:. I think the anterior approach tricked my brain into thinking that I had somehow skipped ahead in recovery—imagine that?
I’m still so madly in love with both of my magical hips—and I’m proud to say it’s gonna be a lifelong love affair :loveshwr:
 
:goodpost: Patrikya
Love the sentiment! I'm happy to hear you're already feeling better.
I think you learned a valuable lesson early on, through no fault of your own.
Respecting the wonder and blessing of those two hips reflects a beautiful thankful heart.
All the best to you!
@pkuznets
 
@pkuznets so glad you have such a positive outlook!! :yahoo: I know exactly why you mean about having an anterior approach and perhaps pushing it a bit. I have a FMLA for 12 weeks, and am feeling guilty about taking that much time, so have been worrying about it. :what: I have to remind myself that my job involves long days, a lot of running around, doing stairs throughout the day, driving between buildings and pulling and lifting things. Your experience reminded me that this is a process that should be respected, regardless of the approach! Thanks for letting me learn the lesson through you! :thankyou:
 
WOW! @pkuznets !
I'm just now catching up on everyone and reading about your ordeal. And you continued on to class? Bless you!

I can see myself doing this with dog dishes, putting on socks, etc. and for sure it is a good reminder for us all to try to keep our hip positions front and center in our brains, no matter the approach our surgeons used. Note to self. Raised feeding stations for the dogs and cats :kittymilk::dogsniff:
I'm so sorry you had this happen and hopefully it is a once and done glitch!
 
Hi Patrikya.
I seriously have the same idea about the new approaches. Less restrictions, and quicker mobility does sometimes make us think that inside healing stuff won't take as long.
I think it enables people to overdo.
My recovery was amazing...but not without these same bumps and struggles...most due to not giving my body enough time.
We do figure it out nonetheless.
Yay for no more hip pain.
The rest will come eventually.
Wishing you a good week.
 
@pkuznets. You explained exactly how I feel about this whole anterior approach business. I’m not complaining one bit because I love my new hip and the lack of pain that comes with it but It’s almost like a false sense of security. I get to going and doing things and completely forget that I’m under 2 months of recovery. I have to continually remind myself that I’m still healing and stop what I am doing. It’s definitely a tricky situation. I’m sorry you had that big scare. I’m sure I would have panicked myself. Glad to see that you have decided to slow things down. Yoga will wait for you. [emoji4][emoji4]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well, it’s been one week since I had my subluxation-scare, and I wanted to provide an update. This entire past week, I really concentrated on babying my hip by keeping range-of-motion-based activities at a minimum and icing my hip again 3-4 times per day. I did EVERYTHING extra-carefully—from getting in/out of the car, to walking up stairs, to lifting and pushing my leg into skinny jeans (and getting out of them :scratch:). I put my hip’s safety and sensitivity in first place; I call it necessary-coddling, and, by Jove, it worked!

Today, I’m feeling better than ever! I attended yoga yesterday but modified every single pose/position that involved my left leg. For example, if the pose called for standing on one leg (my operated leg), I stood on both legs; if the pose meant twisting at the core in a standing warrior position, I did it on my knees or even seated. This strategy worked well, and I plan to continue playing it safe because I like the results. My hip feels stronger and more normal than ever, and I’m glad I have this forum to bounce my ideas off....
Cheers,
Patrikya
 
Great news! @ Patrikya
What happened last week was worrisome.
Obviously the time out and TLC you engaged in helped.
I'm certain it will long serve as a reminder to take all slowly.
The craziest thing is....it didn't seem like you did anything to cause the subluxation.
Definitely serves as a cautionary tale to the rest of us on how easily these things can happen.
It's wonderful to read how relieved you are....I hope your weekend is great!
 
@Layla Because my Orthopedic surgeon seemed so perplexed about how my hip could possibly sublux let alone dislocate based on my description of the event/position, I decided to read some scholarly medical journal articles in which researchers explore “issues” related to newly-placed hips that indicate dislocation but are NOT necessarily dislocation-oriented. (I'm not stating this very clearly, I know).

As a result of my reading, I’m wondering if I may have experienced a strand of muscles “snagging” on the implant or the exposed bone and then “snapping” when the tension was released or pulled taut. Is it possible that my too-early-return to yoga may have stretched or injured or temporarily displaced muscles that run vertically across the anterior hip joint?

Apparently, the snagging and snapping can mimic the feeling of shifting, which is what I felt I’d experienced last week. Of course, I plan to explore these findings briefly with my OS when I see him in a few weeks. As an English professor (albeit a nosey one), I certainly am not pretending to comprehend the field of orthopedics!

I don’t want my musings to come across as misinformation here on BoneSmart; perhaps Josephine could comment or dispel?
Cheers,
Patrikya
 
Let's see..must tag her though.
@Josephine, what do you think?
 
I decided to read some scholarly medical journal articles in which researchers explore “issues” related to newly-placed hips that indicate dislocation but are NOT necessarily dislocation-oriented.
How about a link to this scholarly article?
 
Hi Patrikya
Thinking of you and wondering how you're doing after the subluxation scare...
Hopefully all still feels strong and in place.
Wondering how your energy has been lately with work, feeling more energized?
Hoping all is going well as you continue healing.
A great weekend to you!
@pkuznets
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom