THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

Great first day @pkuznets. I also discovered the mental fatigue to be worse than the hip. I’m in a similar situation to @Tomgirl-I can retire anytime I want. I am wondering how long I will want to continue after both hips are fully functional!
 
When did you incision area pain go away?

By the end of the third week Post-Op, my incision had very little sensitivity to it at all. In fact, I’d say by 2.5 weeks, the hip and the incision were not the total subject of my life anymore! Something shifted at that point, and I kind of felt my body move from healing traumatized tissue mode to building back up muscle strength and coordination of mobility. I wonder if others felt this shift?
 
yes, I had similar experiences with both my THR. Also a surge of improvements about 5 weeks out as some of the last traumatized muscles loosened up. Timing may be different for different people and different procedures but certainly helps when the incision isn't hurting anymore.
 
At exactly 4 weeks post-surgery, I “unfroze” my yoga membership and returned to class!

Yesterday marked my first day back at the mind-body practice I so dearly love. I proceeded slowly, carefully, and avoided or modified the postures my OS had discouraged. It felt nothing short of amazing just stepping back into an environment that makes my life feel less-confusing overall. I was surprised at how flexible and pain-free my new hip felt! Likewise, I could sense the areas (via different poses) where my hip felt weak or unstable—so I modified but kept up. For example, child’s pose was a snap but three-legged dog (no matter which leg) felt weak and unfamiliar. My overall impression after day one back at yoga: I could actually do some poses BETTER with a 4 week old hip than I could for the past year and a half prior to surgery! Still, I wondered how the rest of my day would feel after returning to yoga. I iced periodically just in case! My mantra has become: Whenever in doubt, ICE it!

This morning, I got out of bed and felt only the teeniest tiniest bit of added stiffness—which, let’s face it, can occur on “normal people” who have returned to a fitness protocol after a month long hiatus! Overall, I’m humbled and overjoyed by my hip replacement and the painfree life it has given back to me—and I plan to attend regularly once again :)
 
Hi @pkuznets that's great news - getting back to something that you know works for you. This THR business certainly is a life changer from the pre-op days.
 
Fantastic news! I tried yoga for the first time about 6 weeks after my first THR so I had no comparison. I liked it but the times for classes at my gym don't work well with my schedule. It's a great feeling, though, to be able to get back to doing the things you enjoy and not feeling pain when you do!
 
Wonderful news! @pkuznets
I agree with ~ Whenever in doubt ice. It's never going to hurt to get a little icing
in, along with a time out this early into recovery.

I've never been into Yoga myself but my daughter in law is an instructor. I've often thought
of having her teach me a few poses. Contemplating it more so now as I read how many find benefit in it.

It's great to read how overjoyed you are to be back.
Here's to improving your three legged dog :fingersx:
 
So very pleased for you @pkuznets. It a wonderful boost to be back doing something you love. :happydance::spin::flwrysmile:

I was planning on starting teacher training for yoga when my body got too bad. I got so demoralised that I stopped going (did carry on practice at home for as long as I could). Started some gentle home practice whilst I had my 90 degree restrictions, then returned to a restorative class last week. Planning to attend the next stage up next week to see how my hip likes it.
 
Wow, @pkuznets that is wonderful news. You must be so pleased with your progress. I have only tried yoga a couple of times (was terrible at it) but my stepdaughter loves how it helps her physically and mentally.Enjoy your classes!
 
@pkuznets , how awesome that you started your classes again! I started doing yoga daily when I was 12 years old and had to stop as life and bad joints got in the way. Maybe I can go back after the healing is done. Our company offers free yoga classes at work for stress relief. Thanks for the great example!
 
Yoga...albeit modified....at 4 weeks post op, that's terrific! Do you have 90 degree restrictions imposed?
Once my surgery is over with I just want to go back to Tai Chi which I cannot even do now because it hurts my groin! Those lateral moves are killer.
 
Isn't it great to know we walked through fire for a purpose..?
Glad you are already seeing the benefits from your surgery.
 
Last edited:
@Bumblebee I had the anterior approach with my recent THR (and posterior with my first in 2009). With anterior, I have zero restrictions and only a few “precautions.” But I understand what you mean about those lateral moves being brutally painful pre-surgery! In class yesterday, I was marveling that a mere 5 weeks ago, each yoga move was accompanied by pain and the restrictions from my ever-shrinking range of motion. It was such a peaceful feeling yesterday to go though class mindfully yet painlessly. I felt myself crying cleansing tears of gratitude for the ability to live in my own body with peace instead of under the tyranny of arthritis. You will be able to return to Tai Chi and LOVE it
 
Just a quick question—at what point do you think you had most of your energy-level back to normal? I’m at 5 weeks post-op, and while my hip feels fabulous, I’m still running out of energy long before the day is done...
 
Hi Patrikya,
Good old energy drain....you're certainly not alone in experiencing that.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life.
It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
Wishing you some cozy naps and many nights of restorative sleep.
It sounds like you're doing great!
@pkuznets
 
Hi @pkuznets re energy levels - I'm just coming up to 9 weeks and certainly aware of increased energy levels over the past say 3 weeks. I think just becoming aware of how some things are definately easier than they were weeks ago gives me a great buzz and motivates me. Last week I got the all clear from the hospital which certainly kept me more active, and today I got back to the gym for the first time since the op. It went great, even though for example I'm using reduced weights, reduced reps, lower number on the bike - it just felt so good and I just wanted to shout 'I'm back I'm back' Sleeping better too but still allowing myself the odd nap. Just going with the flow. I think it's all the little things that motivate me and the knock on effect is increased energy. Still take the occasional painkiller when required and just remind myself daily what we've been through. I do go to bed a little earlier than say months ago but reconcile this with doing more. Long may it continue. And somedays are simply better than others.
 
My energy levels were really down for first three months, and as I was back to work overtime too early out probably, that didn't help.
As Layla said, when activity level increases it really saps your energy as so much is being utilized for healing.
Glad you are doing well...onward and upward.
 
Last edited:
Baby steps!
At 5 weeks post-op, I could finally wear my sassy boots that have a 2.5" block heel! No pain. No issues whatsoever :)
It's the little things that bring big smiles during this journey through THR recovery...
Cheers,
Patrikya
 
:chuckmarch:Time for that hippy chick dance.
It IS the little things....you go girl
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom