TKR Patience really is a virtue….

Soooooo ……. Today I decided to have a second attempt at having a bath ( first attempt was not great, as you’ll see in previous thread) ……. My OH is working nights this week so I decided that I’d have a nice relaxing bubble bath ….. once he’d left for work…. ( yes that was a dumb idea in hindsight and he’ll go mad when I tell him what I did) ….. this time all was well :yay:
I had a lovey soak, read some of my book and bent my knee in the water….. this time I left the water IN the bath for bouyancy when I attempted to get out….. now I can’t lie…. It wasn’t easy to get out as I had to turn onto my front and kneel on my good leg but I did it and I lived to tell the tale….. another success for me this week….. and now I’m going to make my tea, drink a nice big glass of wine and ice my knee….. Happy Friday everyone :happydance:
 
The things we do when we’re alone! Early in my recovery my husband was very considerate and a bit protective :roseshwr: He always sat on the front porch when I went out to take a walk, just to be sure I was alright. One day while he wasn’t home I decided to go for a walk, and 2 houses past mine I met up with a neighborhood cat. The cat joined me, and even got quite close to me and I told it, don’t trip me, or he’ll never let me out by myself again!:rotfl: My husband was the best caregiver.
 
this time I left the water IN the bath for bouyancy when I attempted to get out….. now I can’t lie…. It wasn’t easy to get out as I had to turn onto my front and kneel on my good leg but I did it and I lived to tell the tale
Are you quietly chuckling as you reflect back on the effort it likely took to get out of the tub? :wink: :bath:The things we do for a moments pleasure. :heehee:
 
It wasn’t easy to get out as I had to turn onto my front and kneel on my good leg
This is how I have been getting out of the tub after my first TKR, turn around, kneel on good leg, hands on sides of tub, and push up with my operated leg and arms to stand. Before surgery 2, I tried doing this the opposite way. I am able to kneel on TKR #1 - left, but my right leg wasn’t strong enough due to disuse. Working on that! I love baths and hate showers.
 
Week 11 post op tomorrow.
I’m going upstairs normally, although slower than before my op, and today went downstairs normally, very slowly, but I did it.
I’m averaging around 3000 steps a day, which is pretty much just pottering around the house, short walks out, weather permitting….i have physio next week and I’m really worried about my ROM. My bend is still not great, despite the improvement up and down stairs.
Am I still expecting too much too soon???
I’m due back at work in 2 weeks and I’d walk 12000 steps a day minimum before my knee issues…..
 
It sounds like you are recovering quite well. Hopefully, you won't be expected to walk 12,000 steps when you return to work. I think that will be too much too soon. Not only for your knee, but for your overall body, too. Don't be surprised that when you go back to work your knee will swell more. This is also normal and will lower your ROM numbers because of the swelling.

Since you are doing steps normally, I think your ROM is fine. As you heal more that ROM will improve.
 
@Loulou67 Please don't stress about your ROM. Your bend (flexion) continues to improve slowly over time. Many of us have improvement well into our second year.

What's more important than the numbers is your function. And the fact that you can do stairs -- up and down! -- normally at this stage is amazing. With my first knee, I couldn't descend normally until I was 6 months post-op.

Just as a point of reference, here is rough guide to the flexion we need for normal daily functions (this can vary depending on how tall you are):
- 65° to walk,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces

Give it time and you'll get there.
 
So today I walked 5000 steps…… just over 2 miles, without any walking aids.
Now at 11 weeks post op I’m sure there are many of you that achieved this weeks ago, but I’m learning to not measure my progress against others too much as everyone’s journey is different.
Since I got home and sat down on the sofa I’m struggling to get up off it and I’m tired.
Last night I had a terrible nights sleep, or lack of. I couldn’t get comfortable in bed and my leg ached all night.
My scar is very itchy today and it still doesn’t like to have leggings on it or tight leg trousers so I’m wearing my palazzo pants mostly as they’re loose on the leg.
Since my walk, however. Going upstairs is more comfortable and I even walked properly downstairs every trip to the loo today, so that’s a positive!
I’m back at work in 2 weeks so I’m determined to try and walk a couple of miles every day from now till then, or at least every other day to build my stamina up.
While I’ve been off work I’ve made the huge decision to retire at the end of May , after 41 years of full time employment, so I want to leave work on a high.
We’re flying out to our little cottage in Ireland on Sunday, for a week, so lots of country walks should set me in good stead for returning to work.
Hopefully my recovery will continue and I’ll be able to enjoy some downtime .
 
@Loulou67 -- I think 5000 steps at just a little over 2 months is excellent. And the fact that you can walk up and downstairs reciprocally is fabulous. I couldn't do the down until 6 months out.
I’m learning to not measure my progress against others too much as everyone’s journey is different.
This is so smart. Every person is different and every knee is different -- even two knees in the same person (as I am learning firsthand right now!)

Measure your progress by noting milestones like these!
 
Oh that's a fine update, and congratulations on your decision to retire!
 
Congrats on your upcoming retirement. May your future be bright, Loulou! :SUNsmile:

Flying out to your little cottage in Ireland and taking walks in the country sounds like just what the doctor ordered before you return to work. Safe travels, I hope you have a lovely time!
@Loulou67
 
Your recovery is going well, good for you! I also love the decision to retire. I retired a little over a year ago and it still feels a bit strange to me, but it's a very nice strange..:snork:
 
Double congrats! I’m still in the not quite 4000 range. 41 years, wow!
 
So……. I’ll be 12 weeks post op TKR on Friday and today I had my final physio session….. in her words…. I’m too good for them now….. :yes!:

I managed 105 flexion with no effort whatsoever…..my extension has never been given a measurement but they’ve been happy with it from day one.
My knee still feels warm to touch ( not hot) and I still have slight numbness on the outer side, but my physio assured me that she’d be worried if I didn’t because these are signs that the nerves are healing.
My scar gets very itchy and is very sensitive to clothing so she suggested that I spend time every day, 2 or 3 times, just touching it and lightly scratching it to help with this.
My walking is much better now as I’m no longer kicking out to the side, apart from the occasional blip, and going upstairs is no issue to walk properly, although I go slow, downstairs is getting easier but I have to take it very slow if I walk down properly.
I can walk well, but not far, so I now want to get back to going out walking, to build up my stamina.
My physio suggested that I keep active, doing strength exercise that I like to do rather than a set of exercises that I don’t enjoy.
She also said that at 12 weeks , in her experience, my range of motion will keep improving, it very rarely goes backwards at this stage, which was good to hear.
She also advised me to wait a while before I have my right knee replaced, as I may find that over time once my left knee gets stronger still my right knee may feel better on its own.
All in all a good visit!!!
I will keep coming on here because I’m sure there’ll be times when I’ll need reminding that I need to be patient , and I’ll also share any new milestones I pass, that will hopefully help someone who may be struggling.
Happy healing everyone, and thank you to all those who have read my posts, and offered support and advice over the last 12 weeks .
Admin…. Can you change my thread title to
“Patience really is a virtue….”
Thank you :)
 
@Loulou67 What a fantastic report. We seem to be on the same timeline as far as flexion. I have not been able to do stairs yet, though. I mean, I can go up and down, but need the handrail and can only do one step at a time, one foot then the other on the same step. My quads are still quite weak, so we are working on them in PT. I am staying in outpatient therapy for now. I do hope you will continue to post your accomplishments and progress, good or bad. I always look for your posts because our surgeries were only a day apart. Have a great day. I’m so happy for you!
 
Congratulations on your retirement decision and thanks for your inspiring updates.
 
You're doing fabulously well!!!!

My 11 month old knee still has its semi-numb patch and for a couple of months now I have the weird and slightly unpleasant sensation (dysesthesia) that my pants leg is catching on the patch - completely untrue! - yep, nerves are starting to regenerate and fire.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom