TKR Patience really is a virtue….

Before my revision, I had that numb spot for 5 years. Even in the last few months before my surgery, I was getting zingers.

At 3 months, my scar isn't so tender and can tolerate pants. I've started using vitamin E cream on it, very lightly rubbing it in.
 
That‘s a great update and I like your PT! :yay:

Enjoy your time at your cottage, and remember to balance rest with the desire to walk! :walking:

And, I changed your title for you! :flwrysmile:
 
Yes Patience!!! Joint surgery can be pretty painful, rob you of sleep, fill your mind with doubt! And honestly can just be plain old boring just waiting for the tincture of time to kick in!

Liz
 
Such a great update, Loulou! Thanks for sharing all of the positive news.
Good to hear you plan to continue visiting and posting here, we'd love to following your progress.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
@Loulou67
 
First day of my holiday today…… In our little Irish Cottage….. walked 2 miles today….. I’m getting lots of , what can only be described as, little electric shocks in my operated knee today. Is this normal 12 weeks post tkr?
IMG_4147.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very pretty scene. Where in Ireland are you? I'm thinking about checking out the weather there.

Its snowy and cold here in New England....
 
@Loulou67 That is so interesting that you talk about the little electric shocks. That started happening to me just yesterday. I’ve heard them called zingers and it is related to nerves waking up or something like that. It happens to a lot of people after knee surgery.
Have fun on your holiday. I love Ireland.
 
I’m getting lots of , what can only be described as, little electric shocks in my operated knee today. Is this normal 12 weeks post tkr?
While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Such a beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!
 
So I’ve had a lovely week in Ireland…. I’ve walked most days even walking some of the Kilkee cliffs .
Yesterday the outside of my knee was a little sore and today I have a really tight band feeling below my knee cap as far as the base of my scar…. I’m also suffering from a bit of a swollen ankle today.
Is this normal at 13 weeks out?? Do you think it’s just because I’ve had more exercise consistently this week??? The back of my knee feels sore also. I thought I was going so well but I feel worried now. Any advice welcome x
IMG_4174.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I'm so glad your holiday was lovely!!!!

Yes, at your stage of recovery, any time the "new" issue is soft tissue tightness and/or swelling, and there hasn't been any traumatic incident, the most like culprit is overdoing things.

Give it a couple of days of less activity and lots more rest, ice, and elevation and see how it responds.
 
That picture is so beautiful. This is one of my goals, to be comfortable walking a good distance again in nature. And I love the water. Even though you overdid a little, I’m still excited for you that you were able to do it. Now rest!
 
Lovely photo, Loulou! You likely overdid it with the walking and climbing. Not anything some TLC in the form of rest ice and elevation won't cure. Its a special day, Happy Three Month Anniversary! I hope you have a peaceful rest of the weekend!
@Loulou67
 
After 14 weeks away I returned to work on Monday.
I was told my colleagues that I was walking great, and one of them said she couldn’t even recall which had been my bad leg.
It really gives you a boost when people notice these things and tell you how well you’re doing !!!
However, I took it steady on my first day back but after work my leg felt, and looked pretty swollen. I slept with my leg elevated on my lounge doctor pillow for most of the night, which helped.
Yesterday we had a family funeral, which was a 90 minute car journey away, we’ve stayed overnight as we knew we would be catching up with friends and family.
I’ve had a dreadful night, partly because my OH has snored, loudly and constantly for the past 7 hours but also because my leg feels sore. My scar feels sore , my leg feels hard from below the kneecap and down the shin, my whole leg also looks a little swollen.
I’m thankful that my arthritic pain has gone but boy oh boy, as my thread title says, patience really is a virtue!!! I wish this recovery was shorter, and I really hope that in 9 months time I can come on here and have a positive tale of a fully functional knee, that’s no longer sore and swollen.
I just want to be able to fully bend my knee and not feel so up and down with my emotions.
Sorry to moan, but you’re the only people who have an idea of how I’m feeling x
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom