TKR Patience really is a virtue….

My scar feels sore , my leg feels hard from below the kneecap and down the shin, my whole leg also looks a little swollen.
Been there, done that! I was 5 months post op when my son got married, a 90 minute ride away, and a several day total event. This was only one month after I’d had a major setback. My leg felt just like you described.
I’m thankful that my arthritic pain has gone but boy oh boy, as my thread title says, patience really is a virtue!!! I wish this recovery was shorter, and I really hope that in 9 months time I can come on here and have a positive tale of a fully functional knee, that’s no longer sore and swollen.
It really does get better eventually! :console2:
 
It sounds like your knee is just telling you that you pushed it more than it was ready for. I'm not as far along as you in my recovery yet, but I was reminded at my 6-week check-up not to forget about icing after exercise and before bed. I thought I might be ready to leave the ice behind, but it seems the knee may need that kind of attentive pampering for quite a long time.
 
Aw, Lou, I feel for you. I know exactly how you feel. I iced my knee last night because it was so stiff and sore and tight after a long day out, just when I was making some headway. Two steps forward, one step back. This recovery is no joke. Hang in there!
 
It’s okay, moan away. We do understand. Look at the bright side, you returned to work and your colleagues recognized the progress you’ve made.

The swelling that goes along with ramping up activity may last for awhile. My OS once mentioned some have swelling for up to a full year, normally easing over time. Thankfully you know that with rest and the help of the Lounge Doctor, there’s relief.

Hopefully in getting back to your bed sleep was better and hubs kept the snoring down to a dull roar :wink: There‘ nothing like the comfort of your own home and bed. Above all else…you did it! Back to work, lengthy car ride, overnight in a hotel and you’re doing okay! :ok:
@Loulou67
 
It’s really hard when you feel like you have to do something you really aren’t ready for. You will make it through, and unfortunately most of the people around you will have no idea how hard it is. Try to rest when you can and it will be easier next week!
 
You are so right, patience. How hard that is! Hopefully your husband doesn't snore tonight. Glad you made it through the long drive and yay for coworkers noticing your progress.
 
Well I’ve survived my first week back at work!!! Im now 14 weeks post op.
I did have to do shorter days Friday and Saturday due to my leg swelling up but all in all I did okay.
The top of my scar is really tight and feels quite sore….. my knee itself is fine but I feel quite sore at the back of my knee…..
I’m assuming this is all normal??
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Patience really is a virtue….
    IMG_4207.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 91
Hi Loulou and Happy Sunday!
Good news on making it through your first week back to work! :yay:

The area surrounding your incision will feel tender for quite some time, like many months post op. If you're no longer icing, try icing that area and also the area behind your knee for the soreness you described which is likely inflammation that may also last for many months.
 
And so the ups and downs continue……..
Having returned to work , I thought I’d made great progress at 14 weeks post op….. I’m working shorter days to ease me back in but for the past 3 days I’ve had lower back pain that I just can’t shift….. it’s affecting my gait and my sleep…..
I really don’t want to have to go off sick again as I enjoy my job, but it’s just exhausting!!
Do you think it would help if I used a walking aid at work for a few days ??
 
Don't worry about moaning. Pretty much everyone has found this a tough recovery and like you say Patience really is needed and very hard to find sometimes....
A bad night's sleep, especially in a strange bed if you are away, will definitely make everything worse as well.
Sounds like overall you are doing really well being back at work and coping well.
 
really don’t want to have to go off sick again as I enjoy my job, but it’s just exhausting!!
Do you think it would help if I used a walking aid at work for a few days ??
I used a foldable stick for several months for confidence and also to lean on for standing any length of time. I think it's OK so long as you still make sure to walk straight. You could try and see if a walking aid helps.
Hope your back settles.
 
All I can think of is ice and elevation. Do you get any breaks during the day or at lunch where you could at least put your leg up a little even if it’s just on another chair? And certainly would not hurt to use the walking aid. I think it’s normal to need to work up to long periods of standing or walking and you have been thrown into it all at once.
 
Do you think it would help if I used a walking aid at work for a few days ??
I agree with the other two ladies. Using a walking aid certainly won't harm you and can greatly help until your body gets used to being back to work. You can try it for a couple of weeks then wean off of it slowly to see if you do OK without using it. A walking aid is just that, an aid, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with using it as long as you need to. I used my cane for about 6 months when I was out in public. I needed it that long to just build up my confidence.
 
Thank you for your advice….. I can take breaks whenever I need to at work, so that’s not an issue.
I started using the stairs at work the last 2 days instead of the lift so that’s probably part of the issue, I think I need to do shorter days again….. I did last Fri and Sat but then did full days yesterday and Monday….. I guess I’m trying to do too much too soon
 
for the past 3 days I’ve had lower back pain that I just can’t shift
I also struggled with low back pain during my first TKR recovery. I found therapeutic massage really helped. It's important to find a therapist who will do deep tissue work rather than just relaxation massage.
The first session gave me temporary relief, but it took several session to get the pain under control so I could manage it with stretching at home. It was so helpful for me that I now see the therapist regularly.
 
I’m 16 weeks post op after my left leg TKR.
I thought I’d just share where I’m at , as it may help others…..
I’ve been back at work for 3 weeks now, 2 weeks on reduced hours and full time last week.
My scar continues to heal nicely.
I still get a stiffness across my knee most days and the knee is warm to the touch.
My bend has improved, I no longer have physio so don’t have a measurement but I’m able to walk both up and downstairs properly, although I do still use the hand rail.
My ankle still swells when I’m on my feet for too long, but appears to swell much less than it did.
My knee is less numb on the outer side of my leg now.
I only ice my knee once a day when I get home from work and I elevate my leg most nights at bedtime on my lounge doctor pillow.
Big milestone for me yesterday was when I checked how many steps I’d taken at work , just over 10,000 !!! The equivalent of 4.5 miles.
My walking steadiness on my iPhone is now recorded as OK for the last 4 weeks with the bar on the chart a little higher each week.
I get “zingers” daily which hopefully means that the nerves that were affected during surgery are continuing to wake up.
I still find it difficult getting up from a low seat and baths are still rare as I still have to turn onto my knees to get out and it’s a little uncomfortable so the shower is just easier….
I drive 50 minutes to work every day and 50 mins home and there’s no issue with my driving.
All in all….. I think I’m doing okay.
I’ll admit , I thought I’d be fully 100% recovered at this stage, but I’ve learned , by readership this forum and , to be honest, my surgeon did tell me, that this recovery is slow and lengthy, taking up to a year or more to fully recover…… and I can live with that , by being patient….. and by continuing to log each milestone along the way.
Hopefully this might help some newbies out there who are feeling downhearted, as I felt, many times.
If I’ve read this far without nodding off to sleep, be patient, listen to your body and rest when you need to, ice and elevate frequently and you’ll do okay :walking::loveshwr:
 
You are doing incredibly well. I couldn't do stairs normally at your stage and you are doing a lot of work too.
Don't worry about a bit of warmth in the knee
still get a stiffness across my knee most days and the knee is warm to the touch
My knee got slightly warm for many months.
It is only now at over a year that there is absolutely no temperature difference.
I remember reading somewhere that a joint replacement stayed hotter on scans for up to 2 years!
 
Heading to the 18 week post op stage……
I’m coping okay with work, although I’m finding that I tire much quicker than I used to…… I’m averaging around 6-10000 steps a day….
One thing that seems to be happening more and more when I’m at home and sat down is cramp in my left foot ….. I sometimes get it when I’m elevating too…. And I seem to permanently feel sore at the back of my knee…. Anyone else get the same issues??
 
For cramping muscles, an oral magnesium supplement may help.

Is the cramp in the arch area? If so, it's possible your new improved knee is changing your arch and ankle structure (which could contract things up calf to back of knee). If it persists, consider seeing a podiatrist.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom