TKR Patience not my virtue

@SusieShoes No the three families are not related at all. Three couples each had 9 year old boys who played hockey together and each boy had an 11 year old sister. We all became fast friends. The boys turned 40 this year. There have been marriages, divorces, children and grandchildren since and they are all friends! It is very special!
 
Today was 3 month checkup with my OS
Sat on the edge of the bed with my legs swinging until he arrived in the room.
Was armed with a few written questions ( thanks @dvannie )
He looked at me, straightened my TKR leg out to his waist, said to keep doing what I was doing and I would gain more ROM and extension, answered my questions and told me to come back in 3 months.
Oh and he signed me on for a left TKR in a year! So we will still be able to go to Florida for the winter months yay!
Battaboom, battabing! I was out of there!

So the long and short of it is, I will continue with the Bonesmart way of ADL's and easy stretches, ride my exercise bike and I will be much wiser for TKR #2 when it is time.
 
:roseshwr:Yippee! What a great report. So glad you are doing so well. Florida here you come! :SUNsmile:
 
Hooray! Was able to lower my exercise bike seat 1 notch today and still get around on a full rotation! No milestone but I accept baby steps at this point. Am now trying @KarriB 's extension exercise of hanging my leg between chair and ottoman and letting gravity work and hoping for some progress there!
This is such a long process and discouraging sometimes! I have no pain in my upgraded knee joint but my quad and down the outside of my shin and behind my knee still giving me considerable trouble!
Any suggestions for relief or ways to eliminate this pain gladly accepted!
 
what a lovely photo of the cottage gang. are you in it or are you the photographer? i love cottages. what a great report at your surgeon appointment ~ now you are free to go to florida or anywhere you want until time for your next tkr. congrats on lowering your exercise bike and still able to pedal a full rotation. sorry about the pain you're still having. i'm having a pain on the outside of my left knee also (and a bit on back of knee at times), going down to my ankle, if i put more weight on that side, for example, when i stand up from sitting or turn my leg to the left and step down. i'm sure it's from the balance on one leg exercise i had been doing. i've stopped those exercises and hoping i can have some days of rest for the pain to subside. all i can suggest to you is rest for a few days, although i know it's hard to rest when you have things to do. :sigh:
 
Thanks @liam2015! I am in the picture next to my grandson in the blue tank top but my hair is all pushed back with my glasses on top of my head lol! We never have time to even comb our hair for these pictures every year. As you can imagine, it is very difficult to get everyone together for one moment especially with all the littles involved!! There are 6 people missing from this picture!
 
Just catching up. My RTKR was May 12, and I understand the lack of patience! I had my 1st PT appt, which was just an assessment, 12 days post op, and ROM was 8°-90°. Six days later when I had my 1st real appt, ROM was 7°-110°, and while my PT was ecstatic and thought that was great, I was like "that's it?". She never pushed me or forced me to do anything, and actually never laid her hands on me except when doing evaluation. When I asked about what "good" ROM would be, she said 0°- 110 or 115° if lucky. I told her that I wanted at least 135°! She laughed and just reminded me to never do anything that makes knee hurt. I won't drag this out, just wanted you to know that you certainly are not alone in the impatient overachiever department!!:dancy:
 
My DH and I drove an hour to another city last night for a wedding reception. My knee was a bit of a cranky pants on the way there so I thought I was in for a long night. However, it was a casual affair in a tent outside the ski club and fairly small so was able to move around a lot, getting up to the buffet and bar. After a glass of wine ( or maybe two lol) my knee decided it was ready to have a little fun. Drive home was much better ( alcohol influence?) and I slept 8 hours with only 1 pee break. Things are looking brighter in this recovery journey!
Here is hoping I don't have that step or two backwards as a consequence today!
 
Isn't it nice to go out for a "normal" social event? I find it refreshing to have conversations that do not revolve around the recovery. I even enjoyed sitting in the yard and chatting with our yard guy yesterday! Good for you for a successful evening! Here's hoping today is smooth sailing! :kayak:
 
that's good to hear you had a good time, comfortable enough and recovered after a long day. brighter times ahead indeed.:SUNsmile:
 
Very happy to hear that you were able to go out and have an enjoyable evening! Things certainly will continue to keep getting better, even though there may still be some ups and downs from time to time. Enjoy the ups!:flwrysmile:
 
Interesting development today with my knee. Got on my bike and pedalled for 10 minutes with no problem. Also did a little cleaning of 3 bathrooms. Nothing strenuous.
Now I am elevating and icing and noticing that my knee is looking quite bruised again! It is not swollen and I thought the bruising was nearly gone but apparently this knee likes to be colourful.Not sure if this is a normal development after 3 months or something I have inadvertently caused.
Anyone else experience this?
 
Is it a bruise, or a shadow? I ask because as my knees have gone down in swelling, the implants (or something) are creating interesting new... shapes. These cause different shadows than before. At least, I'm noticing these shadows. They're not bruises because if I change the light, the shadows go away.

I can't imagine what would cause new bruising, unless the mechanical movements of your exercise tore open some small blood vessels and there was a little bleeding (as in how bruises are formed). But that's not an educated opinion or anything!
 
@SusieShoes Both plausible explanations. I will try and get a better look when I am outside later. I am though prone to easy bruising too so although the pedalling of my exercise bike was easy today, perhaps I did pull a little something. It's nothing I am overly concerned about, it just seemed odd at this stage of the game!
 
I have also had the "shadow" effect -- one day I was walking past a mirror and thought to myself, boy my knees look bruised. I thought perhaps it was lighting as it didn't seem so later in the day. Hopefully you did not cause any additional bleeding. Congrats on the pedaling.
 
Wow, your photo of the cottage-crew is amazing! Looks like everyone is really relaxed and enjoying themselves! How fun, to have remained friends for so long , through thick and then, eh? And your knee behaved! Really, can we ask for anything more? Nah! Ok, maybe just a little less stiffness, eh? Regardless, you walked on sand with no ill effect! Whoohoo!

I love how you ended up really enjoying yourself at the negatively anticipated wedding reception, lol. WTG, smoothed along by a glass of wine or two. Brava!:SUNsmile:

I wish I could offer something sensible about your possible bruising, but....I can't. My knee is still bruised looking, but has been from Day One. I'm beginning to think I'll just have a "Perma-Blue," kneecap. Oh well, PT says my scar is lovely; hah!
 
:goodpost:Great news on your doctor visit, and a nice outing, too! I'll join the virtual tour--just have to do it on my little desk pedaler. Unlike some of you, I can't get rotation on my big exercise bike yet.
 
Ladies, please take notice of this message that Josephine has posted in Pheebs52's thread:
@Pheebs52 if you are going to do this, would you pleases take into the Social Room? This is the knee recovery forum and we do have lots of guests - often 250-300 at any one time! And they come here to read members' recoveries. We don't want the thread cluttered up with 'events' like this.
If you're all going on an imaginary bike trip in France, the proper place to discuss it is in the Social Room. Otherwise, updates about knee recoveries get buried in the discussion of the bike trip. Thank you.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom