TKR Patience not my virtue

When Gary bid me adieu last week he said I really won’t even notice any gains in flexion, lol. He did say I could drop in any old time for a free measurement but I won’t be doing that very often. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I know, right? But, our relationship was never meant to last forever, lol. I miss him and his entire group but don't miss going there if that makes sense? I think it does!

6 month report:

6 month appointment with OS today. X rays done. All is well internally.
My OS had a resident with him today. Resident had me extend (leg laid flat on bed) and flex ( no measurements but eyeballing he figured about 105 degrees) The resident said that usually where you are at 6 months is about where you will end up give or take 10 degrees. I'm ok with that.
Asked about the continuing pain in my quad, medial knee and shin. He said that should resolve in the next 6 months. Told me my knee was bent for 10 years and with the limp, my muscles/ tendons/ ligaments had shortened and they would take a while to stretch out again.
My OS was happy with the progress and discharged me. Told me he would see me at the time of my left TKR. I am aiming for next fall!
All in all a very positive appointment!

Great update! I wish my OS would discharge me! Just saw him at 7 months. He wanted to see me in 3, but I easily talked him into waiting until the one year mark. It makes me wonder if he knows more about my partial than he’s telling me.

Great 6 month report Pegi!! So glad your surgeon is pleased - and that you are too. I expect you will continue to see improvement in the flexion as the healing continues. I have my 6 mo appt next week and I am feeling positive about it.

Congratulations on a good 6-months report. :yay: :yes!:
The resident said that usually where you are at 6 months is about where you will end up give or take 10 degrees. I'm ok with that.
At 105, your flexion is enough for you to do most things. It could well continue to improve for at least another 6 months, but you've done well.
Told me my knee was bent for 10 years and with the limp, my muscles/ tendons/ ligaments had shortened and they would take a while to stretch out again.
He's right! Considering the previous 10 years, you've done extremely well and with gentle treatment those soft tissues will continue to stretch.

excellent 6 month update and very encouraging that you will continue to improve your r.o.m. and the pain will subside.:flwrysmile:

Wonderful news! You’re released into the wild and can enjoy your new knee while it completes its healing. Those residual pains will most likely fade away very gradually. That’s what happened with my left knee, which was in very bad shape. It got better, and a little better, and then I realized it wasn’t really hurting anymore at all. Kind of snuck up on me. It takes time to stretch tendons and muscles, and sometimes for that last bit of swelling to give up the ghost.

And you get to do it over a holiday season!

It does sound like a great report. As others have said, you may have a longer window for improvement of your ROM. My OS told me that he was glad I had excellent ROM as improvement in ROM often does not increase after one year. He said the muscles can continue to increase in strength indefinitely with daily activities and exercise. A big Knee-rah! for good news at your appointment.

My OS told me that he was glad I had excellent ROM as improvement in ROM often does not increase after one year.
Actually, we have had people on BoneSmart whose ROM continued to increase for longer than a year. One person discovered (accidentally) that hers had increased at 3 years post-op. And there is this example, documented by Campervan:
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months"

Yay! You're released! Your ROM is good and I believe your bend will get even better as time goes on, just like others have.

Hooray! I'm celebrating my one year knee-versary for my left knee today! I'm still hanging around 130 for my ROM, less especially after a long day, and in two weeks my right will be 6 months old. You're getting there!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker