TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Congrats on the great bike news! No stopping you now! I love your Keep. Butt. On. Seat! I hike that hip way too often and not just on the bike. There are way too many things to think about as we ride and walk! Sweet dreams tonight.
 
I'm working on the bike thing, too. It's one of my passionate goals to be able to ride one again. I'm in for a trip, any trip, anywhere--so I can sail along on a bike!! My DH is travel deprived too.
 
Perhaps we could tour the Loire Valley in France and bike to a different Chateaux each day, while enjoying some vintage wine each evening? Sound good? Would anyone else care to join us?
@Pheebs52 if you are going to do this, would you pleases take into the Social Room? This is the knee recovery forum and we do have lots of guests - often 250-300 at any one time! And they come here to read members' recoveries. We don't want the thread cluttered up with 'events' like this.
 
Good (?) morning Smarties! It's not as good here as I'd like since I had a recliner night and woke before the birds. The dastardly, difficult knee has been painful since Monday evening and I'm not sure what exactly is going on with it. Two, very sore, soft lumps appeared in different areas and are about the size of a small ravioli; ugh! Naturally, I've iced it almost constantly, but....they're still there and still quite sore. I wonder if these are the result of my very brief spin on the PT bike? I don't see why that would be so, but can't think of anything else that could be the culprit. So, it's been a "One step forward, two steps back" kind of week. Puzzling and quite uncomfortable.:confused:
 
I'm so sorry to hear about the sore spots and lack of resulting sleep. Do you have any appts coming up where you could get it checked out. It's hard to think that the short spin would cause such targeted pain but perhaps it did. Hope you were able to get back to sleep. What a crummy development :console2:
 
I agree, get those checked out. That's very specific swelling, so maybe a call to the OS can identify what's going on. Maybe Gary Glitter would have some idea? You need someone who knows their knee anatomy. Whatever they are, that they are very sore means you ought to rest a lot today. :unsure:
 
By all means consult someone who can medically evaluate your ravioli bumps! It is no time to take chances in your recovery. Keep us posted, too.

I thought of you as I rocked on the PT bike yesterday...but #2 said it was NOT ready to make a revolution.
 
Thanks everyone. I may see Gary today. I have an appointment for 11:00, but not sure I have the will or energy to keep it after last night's cruddy sleep and this ongoing discomfort. I'm still trying to actually *wake-up* if you know what I mean, so I'm mulling this over with coffee and the perpetual ice pack. I will be going back to the OS office on 9/1 for an evaluation on flexion (what fun, eh?) and seeing his PA at that time. It's pretty unlikely I could get an appointment in there sooner than that though; bummer!

Thankfully, the raviolis are not red or hot, just quite sore, and squishy feeling. Really odd!:chinstroke: One is just below the patella on the medial side and the other is on the lateral side in the *Dead-Zone.* Fancy that, I actually have a sensation in the *Dead-Zone!* Too bad it's an unwanted one, eh? Yeah.

I also find it hard to believe my little 2 minute spin on the exercycle Monday created this problem, but....it's the ONLY thing I've done that's new and different, and it did begin to bother me on Monday night. Maybe I should just throw some marinara on them? Can't hurt, eh?
 
So sorry to hear about you sore spots but I agree that you should get them checked out and not plan anything active today. Keep us posted!
 
By no means am I a dr., but it sounds like swelling. I had an area (and still do at times) on the lateral side, above the knee that I showed my dr. once and he explained it was swelling and there wasn't a muscle over that area so the swelling was allowed to peak out in the specific area. Gosh, though, I'm sorry you had a bad night of sleep or sleeplessness. Rest, rest, rest.
 
Perhaps it is feeling returning to formerly dead areas? Gary might know if it is related to exercise.

Marinara sounds sticky, but better than meatloaf...
 
Very sorry to hear about the *bumps* in your recovery! I fifth or sixth? the motion about getting it checked. I have had a squishy lump on the lateral side near the area of the bottom of the kneecap which has been there since I injured original Spence, and is still there now with Bionic Spence. I was told that it was just swelling that would eventually go away..... maybe..... one day:what: I really don't want it as a permanent addition. I also agree with @rubyyarn that marinara might be sticky, but if you choose that route, make sure it's not hot!:no-fin:
 
I know you are not motivated due to soreness and sleep deprivation but I would go see Gary -- hopefully you are on your way. It would nice to get some additional information if you can as 9/1 is still quite a ways away.
 
I had swelling in both those areas after my PT did a more aggressive set of moves after my MUA, in response to my doc's new orders on the PT prescription. (I had never had any in the dead zone, and haven't had, since!) The swelling in those spots was for me a bit bigger than a ravioli--I would have had to dump an entire jar of Prego on them--but it was a definite response to something I did [er, let someone do to me] that was different from the norm.

I have also had what seemed at the time to be an over-reaction in swelling and/or pain after I did some "innocent" thing, like the time I did one revolution on my big exercise bike at home. Sure, it only hurt for a moment, but the resulting reaction in my tissues was undeniable. My best guess would be that your uncomfortable bike revolutions were NOT looked upon kindly by your knee!
:blackcloud:

Unless perhaps you were sleepwalking and did some MJ dance moves you don't know about?? I do remember your story about waking up "like a pretzel" at about your 6-7 week mark. My uncle was evidently a frequent sleepwalker who dreamed of flying. He "flew" down the stairs more than once, with luckily only a twisted ankle on one occasion. One night he was found two blocks away from home, quite close to the caved-in mines that were dangerous to go in even in the daytime. After that, his family strung a line of empty cans in front of the door to his room as an alert.

I'm looking at the clock right now, and am hopeful that you are now on your way to see Gary. Get it checked out, Pheebs, Get. It. Checked. Out. You will feel better.:kickedout:
 
Last edited:
Well my friends, I forced myself to trundle off to Mr. Glitter's place and apparently, PolkaDot wins this diagnosis! In his words, it seems the odd little ravioli-like swellings are the result of tearing through small adhesions. Key word here is *small.* I know tearing is more dramatic, but his emphasis was definitely on small. This may have occurred on their bicycle, or, it could be the result of doing something at home, myself, in an overly-enthusiastic manner. Hmmm, ......I'm going with the bike. It was a pronounced, sharp sensation when my knee first went over the top of the bike in search of the elusive, forward revolution. I'm told to expect these little uprisings from time to time as I progress.

So, today's session was ice, ice and more ice, followed by very gentle massage and really minor stretching. No exercises. My instructions for home are the usual; RICE, sans the C and just ADL's until next time.

@rubyyarn, you'll be pleased to know I didn't need to resort to the sticky marinara.:heehee:

@Fire wolf, no fear of hot sauces placed on bionic knee here. Nevah! As to when it will go away....unknown; pffft! In my case, he did seem to think it will though, and fairly soon. Whatever soon means.:scratch:

@kmak81230, I asked myself this morning, if in my shoes, what would my Twin do? So thank you for inspiring me to get out there and just do it!:SUNsmile:

@Polkadot, if this is how you felt on a larger scale post MUA, well..."Hat's Off to You!" just for wading through!
I haven't done any sleepwalking....yet...but at least now DH will know what to do if I should begin! Best laugh of the day and thanks for that!:rofsign:
 
Back
Top Bottom