Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

I would think it could be really hard to remove a patella button, as I think the patella could be rather fragile, in such a procedure. If I remember correctly, it’s a different type of bone, and not really an actual bone at all. I’m so sorry you have a metal inside your knee that you now know is not a good match for your body.

I understand not being in a position to have more surgery. I couldn’t have done so, either, while taking care of my husband. :console2:
 
My husband's Parkinson's is really advanced and he is deteriorating fast. I am his sole caretaker and have to do all the chores now.
I am absolutely exhausted these days.He can still do ADL. It took all the energy I had to start posting here again
I am so sorry. You are dealing with a lot right now. :console2:
 
Thank you Layla!
Question for everyone:
Before I had my left TKR in 2016, I had Synvisc 1 injections for 7 years prior. It worked for 7 years.
I want to have Synvisc 1 done in my right knee now. Apparently, Medicare is making it hard for people to get approved for it. They offer Gel 1 instead. I read where Synvisc is better than Gel 1.
Any opinions on this?
 
They are very similar and the main difference is that Gel One is a single injection and Synvisc One is three injections, one a week for 3 weeks. This may be why Medicare is pushing for the single injection…..it’s less expensive to administer. But with all of the injected treatments, the results are very individual. What works for one person may not work for another. And what worked in one knee may work differently in another joint. It’s certainly great that the Synvisc One worked for you for seven years.

Once you have a treatment, it is possible to switch to another brand. You might try the Gel One and see how it does. The waiting period to get a new treatment (or to go on to a knee replacement) is 3 to 6 months, depending on your surgeon’s guidance.
 
They are very similar and the main difference is that Gel One is a single injection and Synvisc One is three injections, one a week for 3 weeks. This may be why Medicare is pushing for the single injection…..it’s less expensive to administer. But with all of the injected treatments, the results are very individual. What works for one person may not work for another. And what worked in one knee may work differently in another joint. It’s certainly great that the Synvisc One worked for you for seven years.

Once you have a treatment, it is possible to switch to another brand. You might try the Gel One and see how it does. The waiting period to get a new treatment (or to go on to a knee replacement) is 3 to 6 months, depending on your surgeon’s guidance.
Whenever I had the Synvisc 1 injection, it was a one in done for a year. I read somewhere, that it is better than the generic Gel 1.
I really don't ever plan to have another knee replacement after what I have been through.
As far as my poor revised left knee, nothing can be done because there is too much hardware in that leg. Everything would have to be taken out and redone...no guarantees what the outcome would be. They certainly would not be able to save the patella!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20250628_092135.webp
    111.2 KB · Views: 37
@Cementless Definitely pursue this further with your doctor. While it may be more difficult to get approval for Synvisc now that the other is available, it's not impossible. Physicians can successfully challenge the guidelines and get approval for special circumstances.

Worst case, they refuse, and you'll have to get the Gel One injection initially. You can always go back later because it isn't working and have your doctor request the Synvisc again.

Not ideal, but it's a fall back. Otherwise, if it's really important to have the Synvisc, you can always opt to go out-of-pocket.
 
@benne68, I got my Synvisc 1 injection yesterday and my right knee already feels better!
Question for the staff: Terrible leg/thigh cramps yesterday night and for the past month. What can be causing this and what can I do to get relief when this happens? So painful!!!
I started taking my Lipitor every other day. Could this be the cause?
 
Hi there :wave:
Great news that the injection seems to be working for you.
I am sorry about the cramping and hope you're able to get some advice from your physician bringing you relief.
For a natural remedy for the cramping...research Magnesium, if interested.
Have a safe and Happy 4th, Cementless!
@Cementless
 
You can google the side effects of Lipitor to see if leg cramps a normal reaction.
 
Thank you for joining the Insiders Club, @Cementless.

Question for the staff: Terrible leg/thigh cramps yesterday night and for the past month. What can be causing this and what can I do to get relief when this happens? So painful!!!
I started taking my Lipitor every other day. Could this be the cause?
To answer your question: Yes, leg cramps are a well-documented side effect of statins like Lipitor. In fact according to the Cleveland Clinic, about 1/3 of patients have this problem. They don't know why.

How long have you been on the Lipitor? Is this a fairly recent addition for you?

Although it doesn't work for everyone, many people find relief from the pain and cramping if they take CoQ10 while they are taking the statin. Has your doctor suggested that?

Either way, I encourage you to check in with your doctor who prescribed the Lipitor. It's important that he/she know about this. Perhaps a lower dose would be helpful. And, there are alternative drugs for cholesterol management that could be substituted. Just don't stop taking the drug without discussing it with your physician.

Please keep us posted.
 
Good news about your Insiders Club Membership! Welcome to this group.

My doctor wants me to take a statin because my LDL is a little high. I told him I don't want it, that I have enough aches and pains without adding something that will cause even more. I can bring it down by eating a better diet. You might try that, too.
 
Another vote for magnesium for leg spasms and cramps. I take a daily supplement plus keep a topical.spray bottle at my bedside just in case.
 
Hi Cementless,
Really appreciate you joining us as an Insider. Your support makes this possible for the whole community.
Hopefully you're able to weigh out the pros and cons of your prescription soon and find a solution that brings relief from the miserable cramps.
I hope you have a nice Sunday and week!
@Cementless
 
Hi @Cementless. Checking in to see how you are feeling.

Are those leg cramps still a problem? Were you able to discuss with your doctor whether the statin was the cause?

Let us know how you are doing.
 
Hi there :wave:
Great news that the injection seems to be working for you.
I am sorry about the cramping and hope you're able to get some advice from your physician bringing you relief.
For a natural remedy for the cramping...research Magnesium, if interested.
Have a safe and Happy 4th, Cementless!
@Cementless
Update on my R knee pain: cortisone injection on June 13th did not help. Synvisc 1 injection on July 9th failed too. Severe R knee pain. I requested an MRI of that knee. Feels like I have a torn meniscus. Order in progress. The general orthopedic dr. thinks I have a tear in the meniscus too because of the severe arthritis in that knee. I am taking 2 ES TYLENOL for severe pain every 4-6 hrs. Both my husband and I are crippled.
 
Hi there :wave:
Great news that the injection seems to be working for you.
I am sorry about the cramping and hope you're able to get some advice from your physician bringing you relief.
For a natural remedy for the cramping...research Magnesium, if interested.
Have a safe and Happy 4th, Cementless!
@Cementless
Update: July 9th Synvisc 1 failed. Severe R knee pain. I ask my general orthopedic doctor for an MRI. It feels like I have a torn meniscus. He thinks so too, because of the severe arthritis. I am taking 2 ES TYLENOL every 4-6 hrs for pain. Icing my knee. Bought some Lidocaine gel 4% to rub on it. Waiting to schedule the MRI.
 
. I am taking 2 ES TYLENOL every 4-6 hrs for pain.
I know you’re in a lot of pain, but be sure if you’re taking the acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours that you don’t exceed the 4,000mg maximum for any 24 hours. And be sure there isn’t Tylenol in any other medication you might be taking, as that would have to be added into the total of 4,000. :console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re in a lot of pain right now, perhaps your GP could give you something stronger than the Tylenol….perhaps a prescription for Tramadol to use for breakthrough pain.
 
You said that you are icing your knee, which is always a good thing. Once thing that you can do while icing is to make sure your not always icing in the same area. Meaning just on top. Try icing the back of your knee and up one side. Personally for me, I find that very soothing and relaxing. Maybe it will help with your pain also.
 
Back
Top Bottom