Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

I am so sorry for the pain you're struggling with currently, Cementless.
Hopefully you're able to schedule the MRI soon and it reveals the origin of the pain, then a solution that brings you speedy relief.
Wishing you lots of comfort. :console2: Please keep us posted...we're here for you.
@Cementless
 
I stopped my Liptor on July 4th and no more leg cramps!
Fantastic! There have been complaints about this medicine for a while now. My PCP wanted me to take it and told him no. I am controlling my cholesterol by watching my diet and the cholesterol in my food. It's slowly coming down!
 
Thank you for joining the Insiders Club, @Cementless.

Question for the staff: Terrible leg/thigh cramps yesterday night and for the past month. What can be causing this and what can I do to get relief when this happens? So painful!!!
I started taking my Lipitor every other day. Could this be the cause?
To answer your question: Yes, leg cramps are a well-documented side effect of statins like Lipitor. In fact according to the Cleveland Clinic, about 1/3 of patients have this problem. They don't know why.

How long have you been on the Lipitor? Is this a fairly recent addition for you?

Although it doesn't work for everyone, many people find relief from the pain and cramping if they take CoQ10 while they are taking the statin. Has your doctor suggested that?

Either way, I encourage you to check in with your doctor who prescribed the Lipitor. It's important that he/she know about this. Perhaps a lower dose would be helpful. And, there are alternative drugs for cholesterol management that could be substituted. Just don't stop taking the drug without discussing it with your physician.

Please keep us posted.
I have been on Lipitor 10 mg since the 90's. I reduced it to every other day because of severe knee pain in both knees. Then when the leg cramps started (just at night), I decided to quit it all together. I have a previous planned appointment with my PCP on August 19. I will discuss it with her then
 
If you’re in a lot of pain right now, perhaps your GP could give you something stronger than the Tylenol….perhaps a prescription for Tramadol to use for breakthrough pain.
I am trying to just stick with the ES Tylenol. I have left over Tramadol from my other surgeries from 2023. Trying not to take them.
 
I’m glad you didn’t try to tough out the pain if it’s that bad. Hopefully this will help settle the pain. When you’re in pain, especially with any kind of spasm, you have to get ahead of it before it can stop making you miserable. That’s what these good meds are for.
 
Last edited:
I hope you are feeling better this morning.
 
I am so sorry to read that you are having a bad time this morning. I was hoping you would be feeling better. Icing can't hurt. I always found it very helpful in reducing my pain.
 
I finally will get my MRI tomorrow at 11 am!
I know I have a torn meniscus. I'm almost 78 in September, can it heal on it's own without surgery?
My husband and I are both using walkers (he has a U-STEP). It really is a sad situation here. I 'can't even go to the grocery store. I have to depend on the kindness if others. He is really deteriorating.
I'm not sure what we are going to do!
 
I"m so sorry you are dealing with all of this, @Cementless.

Yes, in some cases, a meniscus tear can heal on its own and appropriate conservative treatment — such as rest, ice and medication -- although it really depends upon the nature of the tear. In other cases, however, a torn meniscus requires surgery.

I tore the meniscus in my left knee in early 2020 and (because of COVID) wan't able to have surgical intervention. It did eventually heal and the knee was good for several years until I needed a TKR in 2023.

I hope the MRI provides clarity for you. Please let us know what you learn.
 
Sorry you are finding yourself in such a bind with you and your husbands challenges.
I hope the MRI is able to answer some of your questions.

I lived with a torn meniscus for 27 years before needing surgery, everyone is different. I hope yours is able to settle down so you can keep going. Follow Benne68's advice about Rest, Ice, and Elevation.
 
I’ll be waiting to hear the results of your MRI. I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with all this. My prayers are with you and your husband.

Do you have any family nearby who can offer help and support for you both?
 
Our only child, lives in Seattle. He was here this past weekend. We have close friends that took us to the doctor and another that brought food over the night before. My husband has to be constantly reminded to take his pills, eat, use his cane and U-step. I can't believe this is all happening to us. My meniscus tore when I try to pick him up after a fall. My maid came and changed the sheets on the guest bed and cleaned the guest bathrooms, kitchen, family room this past Sunday.
If I have to have surgery, I don't know what I am going to do. My best friend will take us to the hospital and stay with my husband, then bring us home and stay a few days. Long road to recovery. My husband has multiple issues too.
 
Try and just take things one day at a time for now. Let’s see the outcome of your MRI and recommended treatment first.

Considering your husband’s situation, have you given any thought to in home help with him or possibly a move to an assisted living facility? I know either of these ideas is probably not what you want to do, but the sad reality is that sometimes as we age and our circumstances change, we have to think about new solutions. Even if you don’t do anything now, it might be wise to make some future plans for what may come down the road for you both. Caregiving is very difficult and whatever decisions you make need to provide you the ability to keep your health in good shape so you can enjoy the time you have with your husband.

For now, it’s really wonderful that you have a good friend to lean on if you need surgery. What a blessing!!
 
Thankfully you have some friends that are willing to help, although I'm sure it's difficult to ask for favors.
I am sorry you and your husband are dealing with so much all at once, Cementless. It's a lot!
Sending a hug with best wishes that things fall into place easily enough along the way! :console2:
@Cementless
 
We have been paying A LOT of money since 2013 for our long term health insurance. That includes home help. I don't think we are quite there yet, but it is in the back of my mind....always.
We built our ranch style home in 2002 to be handicapped accessible.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom