Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

I used an electric recliner after my TKR. I recovered alone and was afraid to try and get out of the chair those first weeks. Mine also laid out flat, so I slept in it for about a month. I don't know the brand name, but bought it from Sam's.
 
What is normal range?

My right knee was 5.5°valgus, and was enough for them to straighten my leg. I'm in my 30s and was showing early arthritis in the lateral compartment. Straightening offloads that compartment and will delay the need for TKR. I did also have patella femural PKR done at the same time.
Left knee was 2-3°, which is not enough to correct.
 
Hello Everyone! Thought I would give an update. I went through PT from November 1, 2023 to February 1, 2023 and my left leg did get stronger. Pilate's off and on. My latest concern is pain in my left hip when I bend at a 90 degree angle to pick something off the floor or bend down to put the dog leash on the dog. It almost feels like the hip wants to break. I have an appointment to see my orthopedic surgeon this Monday at 12:15. I'm scared of what the x-rays might show. So tired of doctors .
I still do my leg exercises but doing the "clam" REALLY hurts/aggravates the area. So worried the hip or femur has a fracture in it.
 
Thanks for the update, glad your left leg is getting stronger.
I still do my leg exercises but doing the "clam" REALLY hurts/aggravates the area. So worried the hip or femur has a fracture in it.
You might want to skip the "Clam" until you find out what is going on with your hip. No need to continue irritating your hip.

Keep us posted on what the OS finds on Monday.
 
It’s great to hear from you and to know you’ve made some improvements since you started therapy. Sometimes this can take a while, so it’s good that you stuck with it all that time to get the best results.

I can understand your concern about the hip pain you’re having now. Pumpkin had excellent advice to hold up on any exercise or activity that bothers your hip or leg until you find out exactly what is going on. I’ll be watching for your post once you see your surgeon. Hang in there….. :)
 
You might want to skip the "Clam" until you find out what is going on with your hip. No need to continue irritating your hip.
Totally agree. The motto of my pilates teacher is " if it hurts then stop doing it"
Good luck for your Monday surgeon appointment.
 
Something I forgot to mention: the first week in April, I saw a foot and ankle MD in the group and she said my gait is off because my left hip is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than my right. She gave me a prescription for new orthotics and a lift for my left shoe. I will see an orthotics specialist this Thursday, the 9th.
Since my left leg is stronger, I have been using my cane less and less. Every time I try a new shoe, it throws everything off gait wise, which effects my hip.
Still, I don't think it should cause the pain I feel when I bend over to a 90 degree angle.
When I first fractured my left hip and left femur, after the repair surgery....there was some vague talk about needing a hip replacement on that side. I wonder if that is where I'm at???
 
20230602_184056.jpg

Where the screw and the rod intersect is where it hurts when I bend to a 90 degree angle.
 
Saw the orthopedic surgeon today. He took x-rays...no fractures. He said the pain is coming from the edge of the plate he put in to stabilize the femur. Said the edge is sharp and it is irritating my IT band in that area. He is hoping it will calm down.
 
It's good to hear there is no fracture, but I'm sorry for the discomfort your dealing with. The description sounds miserable. I do hope it does calm down…soon! :console2:
@Cementless
 
That sounds so painful! I hope it calms down soon. Did he give any advice about what things to avoid doing to aid in it calming down?
 
Use my cane some more, hope the shoe lift helps and try to stretch the IT band. I'm trying not to bend at a 90 degree angle. Avoid the clam exercise for awhile.
 
The x-rays do show that area well and I’m going to assume his diagnosis is correct. I sincerely hope that you can change enough things so that your hip settles down. IT bands can be a bit stubborn sometimes and take time to stop hurting. Did he want you to go to any therapy?
 
He mentioned some exercises and IT band stretching. I told him I am going to stay away from the clam for awhile. He could tell my leg has gotten stronger.
He also, mentioned that the plate he put in, only comes in one size. He wished it came in different sizes, like petite, or smaller.
I have to wonder about that...what do they do for children?
 
Last edited:
also, mentioned that the plate he put in, only comes in one size. He wished it came in different sizes, like petite, or smaller.
I have to wonder about that...what do they do for children?
Read a book recently that said that a lot of medicine is designed for men as the standard and inadvertently discriminates against women because we are different ( smaller/ physiologically different).
 
Said the edge is sharp and it is irritating my IT band in that area. He is hoping it will calm down.
So sorry to hear that. But it is good there is no fracture and to have an explanation.
I had a catching pain at the back of my knee for a while- that my surgeon said was due to a little lip on the implant spacer catching on a tendon in full extension.
He said the tissues would heal over it and soften it so it would calm down and it would stop. I was sceptical but it has disappeared. Hopefully something similar will happen for you.
 
I just saw the new BoneSmart Website. Nice. I'm assuming we don't have to log in again, etc.?

Well, I have a new concern I thought I would share with you all. First let me say I am working with a Certified Pedorthist to get the correct shoe lift for my left side. I think that is going to help a lot.

My concern goes back to December of 2023, I saw another Orthopedic trauma specialist to get his input about my left knee and gait. He was very thorough. A few days later, I read his notes from that visit and one thing he mentioned was a DX of ITT Non-union. The first of January 2024, I sent a message to his pt. portal to elaborate on this.
I finally heard back from his nurse this May 23, 2024. She said because of the grating feeling around my original break, the pain at bending at a 90 degree angle, and my unstable gait that he is concerned there is a ITT Non-union in my hip/femur area. So, now I ask myself which orthopedic surgeon is right?
Was my recent visit to MY orthopedic surgeon, a possible a cover up? Is it really an IT band issue? I really don't think one size fits all plate to support the femur is true.


Eventually, I will make another appointment with this doctor to have him elaborate in person,
Any thoughts. Concerned.
 
I agree that it would be a good idea to meet with this doctor in person. Ask that he show you on the imaging where the non-union appears. If this is the case, it definitely could be at least some of your problem and, to me, would be worth pursuing. Find out exactly how this surgeon would deal with the problem and what you might expect as an outcome.

Unfortunately, there often can be disagreement about what is the cause of a specific problem. This is even more true when a case is long-standing and/or very complex as yours is. As a patient, the best you can do is get multiple opinions, ask lots of questions of each doctor, and go with whichever diagnosis and treatment sounds logical to you. It’s not a perfect process by any means, but as long as you are actively engaged in all the conversations, you have the best chance of getting to the bottom of the problem by doing things this way.

Thanks for the feedback on the website. If you haven’t had a chance to explore it a bit, I hope you do and I’d love to hear your comments. We want it to become a usable tool for our members. Once you’re registered with BoneSmart, there is no need to re-register for either the forum or the website.
 
@Jamie, I also read medication can affect bone healing in people with hypothyroidism that take thyroid medication and that routinely take Tylenol. I have hypothyroidism and take ES Tylenol 1 or 2 daily to manage my pain. They recommend a bone stimulator. I'm doing research on all this, so I can be informed.
So frustrated. I do have osteopenia and have had osteoporosis in that left hip/femur area. I am using bioidentical hormones to help improve my bone density. Staying away from ALL the other osteoporosis drugs!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom